PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Greetings all
I have been a lurker here for about a year or so now and for whatever reason never bothered to join up.
My name is James, am 32 years old from Wales in the UK and have been on the pipe now a little over a year. The idea being that having smoked cigarettes since the age of 14 and beginning in no small way to feel the weight of such a poor decision on my respiratory system, that I would explore pipes as an alternative. That said, due to the insidious nature of those infernal sticks I am still in the transition. Though am pleased to say that as time passes I am smoking the pipe more and those sticks of nastiness less. And I can say without a doubt that I enjoy my pipe smoking tremendously and I really can't remember the last time I enjoyed a cigarette.
I would like to say thank you to you all. During my lurking I have read a lot of your posts and replies and the information gathered has helped me to enjoy and learn the pipe.
It also did not take me long to fall victim to the much mentioned and perhaps little understood "Psychopathy" (as my former girlfriend called it. And I can kind of see her point) of pipe and tobacco acquisition disorder. However if it is a disorder it is one I can happily live with. Somehow My flat seems more homely with jars of tobacco and pipes comfortably leaning against their respective personal pillars.
Well there it is and thank you for having me.
Many regards to you all.
James

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome, James, and welcome to the conversation. Glad you're off the nails. Plenty of information in pipesmagazine

and Forums, and much lively discussion. Don't be reluctant to post a questions now and then. I've learned a lot from

Forum members, such as about the value of small pipes (which I thought were only toys, souvenirs, or novelties),

the glories of Forever stems for corn cob pipes, and how I can't smoke cube tobacco by peeling off the layers. Always

something to learn, and many points of view. You'll be informed and entertained, I think.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good to have you here, pal.
Please remember that the only dumb ass question is the one that never gets asked.
We were all FNGs at one point.
Fnord

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome James! I live in Essex and work in London and I've played a lot of rugby in Wales. Hard men with good hearts and great fun (after the game!). Congratulations on joining a superb group of guys and girls.
Andy

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Well, I would certainly call that a warm welcome. Thank you all.
James

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Hi Cortez, At the moment the ones I am enjoying the most are Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture which I seem to prefer in the morning. Samual Gawith Sqaudron Leader for most of the day or St Bruno Flake and My Mixture 965 in the night.
That said as I type this I have just finished the last of the Dunhill De Luxe Navy rolls.
My preferences do seem to change every few weeks though. I have tried a few aromatics but honestly I don't think they are for me. I seem to have the same problems as a lot with them in that they either bite like a French kiss from the devil himself and/or have little to no flavour to me.
James

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Welcome to the forums.
As you may infer from my avatar, I am a fan of St Bruno as well.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Delighted to see you emerge from the shadows, James, and from across the water at that. No doubt you'll have some wisdom of your own perspective to share with us. Some advice: don't use the pipe as a way to quit--pipe smoking is an entirely different experience, so try to kick the cigs first. Chantax works great for this (the method that worked for me was a combination of hard candies like Jolly Ranchers and Chantax). In any event, welcome!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome to the forums James. For a newbie you are smoking some great tobaccos and seem to have an experienced palate. I look forward to seeing more posts from you.
Cheers :puffy:
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.