PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushpipe81

Lurker
Feb 13, 2016
Hello my name is Loyd. I started smoking a pipe in the mid 90s as a teenager. I started smoking with my grandpa and loved it. I quit in the late 90s and recently started again. I've been reading a lot on the subject because my grandfather is no longer alive. I Have thoroughly enjoyed this site and have learned loads from the members. Thank you all for the insight from your experiences.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Glad to have you here!

My grandfather's pipe smoking made an impression on me too. I never smoked a pipe with him, but I saw him go through his process many times and it's HIS pipe smoking I recall, even more than my own Dad's, who only occasionally smoked one.

Gramp smoked a 'cut plug' tobacco, mostly Days 'O Work.

He'd cut some off with his pocket knife, then rub it up in his hands and load a cob. All quite magical.

Jun 4, 2014
Welcome! I wish I would have been able to sit and smoke with my grandfather. I do have one of his pipes and think of him when I pull it from the rack.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Loyd, welcome. My dad was a one-pipe guy, never had more than one functioning pipe at a time until it burnt out. His dad had a rack of four or five. My dad only smoked Granger, with occasional detours, years when he smoked King Edward cigars. He quit cold turkey when he was about 65, because it was all or nothing, and he could no longer smoke on his new job at the community college. He would be really disgusted at the number of pipes I have. I inherited the pipe rack he inherited from his dad, a walnut round stand with an amber tobacco jar in the center.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Welcome, Loyd.
My family all smoked cigarettes. My grandfather had a lot of empty cigar boxes, so he must have smoked them at one point, but I only remember cigarettes.
I picked up a pipe first in college, because I thought they were "cooler" than cigarettes, but I never stuck with it until about a year ago. I think I would have stuck with the pipe sooner if I'd had more family history.

Status
Not open for further replies.