Tags:  No tags yet. 

Hell on Wheels finale

(9 posts)
  1. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Folks:

I watched the final, series ending episode of one of my favorite TV shows this evening, Hell on Wheels.

I've spent the last six years thoroughly enjoying watching this talented group of actors, writers, lensman, directors, etc. build the Transcontinental railroad across the western half of the U.S. - all the while filmed in Canada.

I'm a sucker for well done Westerns and this one hit it out of the park for me. I'm still sad to see them go. But they punched out after one of their very best seasons and that's a fine way to cap a bottle.

BTW, I've always enjoyed Colm Meaney's acting, (He always plays one of those, "You know, that guy!" characters.) and watching him chew up his role as Thomas Durant was an over the top display of his talents.

Here's his IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000538/?ref_=tt_cl_t2 Recognize him now?

Cheers,

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Indeed a fine series, to bad its gone, still got the walking dead though

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife and I loved this series! One of the better western shows we've seen, and the characters, along with the actors that played them were amazing.

Been watching Colm Meaney ever since I saw him in "The Commitments" many years ago. A very versatile actor indeed.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't seem to watch tv that much anymore but, I'm a sucker for a good western, as well. I've really enjoyed this series.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. dadgy

dadgy

Login to Send PM

I loved Durant's final soliloquy, and I thought they nailed the ending.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have the final episodes recorded, waiting for time to watch them. I've been a big fan since the series started.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm going to be quiet, Al. But this series ended well.

Here's a few articles with some serious spoilers.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/hell-on-wheels-series-finale-1478296128798774.html

And for God's sake read the 'zebra" speech here from, I believe, Season One: http://www.cowboysindians.com/2016/07/hell-on-wheels-the-final-season-done-episode-514/

Meany rocked it. Mount is somebody to watch and I'll gladly wait for the Blu-rays.

Fnord

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ABSOLUTELY one of the best TV westerns.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

THANK YOU FNORD!!!!!

Upon reading this post, I re-read it to my wife yesterday, who has been a western fan since forever and we are able to get this on Netflix. We were looking for a new series to binge out on and this fit the bill! We watched the pilot and S1:E2 last night and weren't disappointed. I was immediately impressed by details... proper vintage fire-arms and a host of other things. And Colm Meaney's introductory speech to the room full of fat-cat potential investors and potential victims was one of the best renderings of the 19th century mindset and style of public oratory that I've ever seen! Thanks again! Kudos!!
    jerry

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude