Heinrich's Special Curly + KDF = Three Nuns?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
After all the talk recently about Three Nuns, I decided to revisit my tin of Peter Heinrich's Special Curly (a VaPer). In one of the threads from last week, someone suggested that the original Three Nuns contained Kentucky Dark Fired in addition to Perique (the current version has no Perique). Well, I pulled out a few coins of the Special Curly and sprinkled in a pinch of Kentucky Dark Fired, just to see how it would taste. Now, I have no idea what the original Three Nuns was like, because I've never smoked it, but the Special Curly with KDF was amazing. It tasted like a really good VaPer, but with an extra bit of smokiness and complexity. (I ordered my KDF from Pipes and Cigars.)
PeterHeinrichsCurly.jpg

1310056620-gawith-hoggarth-curly-cut.jpg

dark-fired-kentucky.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, I just tried the Special Curly, plus KDF, plus some extra Perique, and it is even better than the above mixture. Again, I don't know if it tastes like Three Nuns, but this mixture makes one of the best VaPers I've ever had. Unfortunately, you can't just throw the coins in your pipe and smoke it -- you have to blend it with the added components, but I suppose could ready rub some coins and mix with the KDF and Perique.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pitchfork, I admire your ingenuity, however I don't think the original TN had any Kentucky in it. I could never taste any and if memory serves someone posted the original recipe from an old document recently and there was no Kentucky I believe. I remember reading that the original had 20% perique in it, which is high, as Escudo has 18%. I think what also made the TN unique was the type of Virginia's that were used.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think what also made the TN unique was the type of Virginia's that were used.
Yeah, I think that's the major factor in determining the unique taste of most blends, including Three Nuns most likely. I appreciate what you say about the original TN not having any KDF. I'm just fooling around to see what would happen based on what another reader had said about the old formula. On the other hand, if no one told me that a particular blend had KDF in it, it's possible I wouldn't pick it out -- in the right proportions it really hides itself.
One thing I haven't tried is just adding extra Perique to the Heinrich's Special Curly.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Do you have any specific ratios? I'd be interested in giving it a shot.
LOL, I'd say I used 4 "coins," plus a pinch of both KDF and Perique. By pinch, I mean like 8 or 10 flecks of each -- not an insignificant amount, but not a ton, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.