PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Harris recommended the Heinrich Curley so I also decided to try the Curley Block. Got it yesterday, looked like an over sized hot dog. I sliced some up this morning, tore it into pieces and set it aside to dry a couple of hours. Loaded up a thick walled Moretti pot. Packed rather daily. Took a little extra effort to get it going but not too bad. Required a few additional lights.
This tobacco was about the most bland I ever smoked. It was almost like smoking a cigarette. I will say that it burnt cool with no bite. Unfortunately, no flavor either. To be fair, I'm getting over a cold so I'm off my game a little but I can taste other blends. So did I do something wrong, is it just me or was this just a waste of $34?
To be clear, Harris told me not to bother with this one. This is one time I think I should have listened to him.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
These curlies didn't meet my expectations last I smoked them. I love the blend name and the posh white canisters, and the script, and the curlies themselves. Not bad but not good. I have 200g from 2003 that I hope is transformed when smoked. A senior member on another forum said that he didn't think it will have changed much.
I love any kind of pressed tobacco and would have jumped on the Curly Block, but no, not in this case.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Agree with sable! Give it a few years in the bag and then at least a few months after cut then sealed again. It will turn into something wonderful.
And I would suggest smoking it in a small and not too deep a bowl with a smaller drill siz.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
My two cents: I think it's quite good! I've only had a few bowls, but each one is better than the last. Can't wait to get some age on it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a small pile drying right now and will be smoking it in a couple of hours or so. I am going to try it in a group 4 Dublin as those are some of my best flake pipes. It was a group 4 Dublin that started me into loving Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. Once I found the right pipe and the right cut and humidity, it was magic from then on. I think Curly Block is similar to the finicky kind of flakes that SG produces. Sometimes you have to work for it to find the magic, which I don't have a problem with.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I tried this again today. You guys must have thought I'd lost my mind. I'm assuming it was the cold. I got a really nice citrus flavor for most of the first half bowl. I assume there is perique as the spice starting creeping in during the second half. Citrus still there but spice being added. It was a very, very nice smoke. Not sure that it is worth the money or trouble but well worth having some around now and then. Burnt extraordinarily cool.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, glad to hear you enjoyed that bowl much better than your first, my second bowl was much better as well.
I ended up smoking that Curly Block in my Trever Talbot Goblin which is an Apple basically. It is a large group 5 and I smoked that pipe for over 2 hours. It was really really tasty. I let it dry for a good 2-3 hours and it made a big difference than my first bowl. I also chopped into small pieces with some rubbed out for the kindling. This stuff burns forever but in a good way. It smokes cool and the flavors are really interesting. It reminds me of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls of all the Vapers I smoke, and I love that stuff. I think this stuff will be awesome with a good 5-10 years. I am going to grab a few more ropes but I am not going to cellar it that deep as I have so much tobacco as it is.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I believe well aged Curly Block will prove to be an incredibly awesome experience. It's the closest thing to the Murray's Navy Rolls I have found.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, so you are telling me I need to get a bunch of this stuff. How long do you think it will need...5 years..10 years...I may not be alive to enjoy it. :mrgreen:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Well, Harris, if you don't live long enough to smoke the 1,000 pounds I recommend that you cellar, I'll smoke it for you, provided Sablebrush doesn't beat me to it. :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, thanks buddy, I know I can always count on you. :mrgreen:
peck, how many ropes do you actually have? I am going to guess, 48. How did I do and no lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.