PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
So I have done a search on this, and if I overlooked it please forgive me, but while I saw a couple of threads about music I never saw one dedicated to heavy metal itself. So I thought I'd bring it up wondering just how many actual metal heads we have here. I myself am a lover of thrash metal although I do listen to all kinds. The main bands I listen to are the big 6(Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testement, Exodus, and Metallica), Cannibal Corpse, Opeth, Lamb of God, Dream Theater, and Devin Townsend. Needless to say I listen to all types. Who else here flys the metal flag?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Huh ,I cant hear you . I listen to all types of music metal to the met . If you dont enjoy metal it is probably because your speakers suck . :puffy:

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Yo. Not really into the same styles of it but I'm a fan of bands like Zoa, August Burns Red, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Lamb of God, Dream Theater (saw them live a few years ago and it blew me away), In Flames, and I'm sure dozens of others. I like Metallica but can't in good conscience support a band who sues their own fans.

sincityjeff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2011
Maiden fan here. And any other bands that writes, plays and poors their heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears into their art i am a fan of.

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
I hear ya, that's why I put them at the end of that list, but I have to put them in there because they got me out of rap and into metal...gotta give em some kind of credit. I've heard a little Sons of Disaster, and I've heard OF those other bands just never really gave them a listen, but I'm always up for something new to me so ya never know.

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
sincityjeff, I don't know how the hell I forgot about Maiden, it must be getting close to my bedtime. I saw them last summer and all I can say is it was a religious experience for me.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Many of you know that I am a "Classically Trained Pianist"...

But, I do like some of the "Metal" music.

Rammstein being one, Rob Zombie being another.

I don't listen to them exclusively... after-all I am a child of the 70's.

I am into Shadowfax, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and a few others, which were the "Metal" of my generation.

One thing this thread needs are....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huv0QRpslyA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBFKLE8Dik&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueGcV255NfM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FgKcnyRNKM&feature=related

One of the most difficult pieces I have ever performed for Piano Juries.

Damn hard on a 9' Steinway. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZzd2tqBlUU&feature=related

winterland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Minneapolis
I am definetly a metal guy. I do like everything from the Beatles, my favorite band, to Zeppelin.

All the bands you listed I have checked out. Except Devin Townsend. Will check him out.

I do not like much of what is played on hard rock radio today. Most of it is not metal at all.

Have seen Maiden, Metallica many times, Judas Priest, Testament, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Slipknot, and on and on in concert.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Sabbath with Ozzy is my favorite of all time for metal. Testament has the #1 spot in the thrash sub genre. Don't forget Judas Priest either!
-Jason

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
And then Apocalyptica comes on my player...mmmmmm

Anybody who doesn't like the yelling and distorted instrument typically associated with metal should give these guys a shot. Cello quartet that started off as a metallica cover band and slowly moved into doing their own stuff. Some very beautiful stuff.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Metal fan since 1984. I was 9 and when I heard Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil" for the first time I was blown away. It progressed from there, all the bands you listed and more. I've seen Slayer live twice, once in '95 and again in 2006. I got into some of the heavier bands, Deicide was a favorite (they're great live!) But nowadays I tend to stick the main ones you listed and a lot more classic rock such as Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and of course Black Sabbath.
Actually those last two Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, if I could I only listen to those two bands for the rest of my life I could die a happy man.
Oh and... UP THE IRONS!!!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm a fan of Maiden, old Metallica, Slayer and I used to play in a blackmetal band. I listened to old Darkthrone, Burzum and Emperor a lot during those days. Nowadays, I'm mostly listening to stuff like Acid Bath, Rammstein and old hardcore punk stuff like FEAR, GBH, X and Exploited. I currently run a baby label for Finsternis (Black/Doom), KBT (Gothic Metal), and the Porridgeface (Old Skool Speed/Thrash).

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Hey Baron, when I first joined here and saw your screen name I thought of King Diamond. There's a song called "The Cross of Baron Samedi" on his "Voodoo" album. :D

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
I love most metal, lately I have been into folk and Scandinavian metal. But my favorite is Maiden

Winterland is that a sporran?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I remember that, juvat! I listened to Mercyful Fate a little bit, alond with Voivod, Laaz Rocket, and Killing Joke on WREK out of Georgia Tech at night on their WREKage metal show. That was in the 80s and they played a lot of that stuff. They played King Diamond's whole Abigail album one night.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here's a pic of me from the blackmetal days (try not to laugh too hard). The pistol is a .50 cal cap and ball that I built from a kit. It works great and is fairly accurate. We always had this thing going with weapons in our pix, normally swords. I did this one with the pistol, as a taunt, after actually challenging someone to a duel. That person refused the duel under the penalty of being a known coward and I did the pistol pic to rub it in. Probably a good thing because he'd be dead and I'd be in prison right now, but that was blackmetal.
AnreisPistol.jpg

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Mastodon, Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, Russian Circles, Pelican, Dillinger Escape Plan and so many more. Seems like a lot of these lists are the same bands.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I remember that, juvat! I listened to Mercyful Fate a little bit, alond with Voivod, Laaz Rocket, and Killing Joke on WREK out of Georgia Tech at night on their WREKage metal show. That was in the 80s and they played a lot of that stuff. They played King Diamond's whole Abigail album one night.
Nice!! Abigail is a classic. I will admit, King Diamond is definitely an "acquired" taste, but once you "get it" there's no going back. That's awesome they played the complete Abigail album, his albums are pretty damn cool in that they tell a complete story from the first song to the last, so while you can listen to individual songs, you won't get the whole story unless you listen from beginning to end.
Ahhhh...Mercyful Fate. "Don't Break the Oath" is easily one of the best album covers (and one of the best albums period) ever put out by a metal band. :twisted:
MercyfulFateDBTO.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yeah Right up there with To Mega Therion by Celtic Frost and Bathory's Blood, Fire, Death! Finsternis' Sea of Blood album is essentially a 45 minute opus in 9 parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.