PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I have this thing for that campfire like, Old leather note that you get from the English/balkan Blends. However none I try have a strong enough Latakia taste for me. I assume that taste comes from Latakia. I am still a newb. I have tried all the Newminster English blends, Larry's blend, H&H Cerberus, GH&C Balkan Mixture, PS Balkan supreme,H&H Magnum Opus, H&H Black House & B&B reserve. Maybe a couple of others. I think Cerberus is closest but still far from what I am looking for. Any suggestions?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just buy some pure Latakia and smoke it or add it to other blends. 3 Oaks Syrian is a nice puff o Latakia if you can still get it.

Aug 14, 2012
McClellends Blue Mountain, Full Balkan Reserve and 3 Oaks. They also make a blending latakia. You can add it to any tobacco that you consider latakia deficient.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Nightwatch, old dog, 3 oaks, any frog mortons, star of the east flake....these are my main lat blends

physiognomy

Lurker
Aug 15, 2012
USA
Cornell & Diehl's Pirate Kake sounds right up your alley. I like this blend when I'm really craving a Latakia fix.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Cornell & Diehl's DaVinci. Its something like 75% latakia.
Also look on Pipes&Cigars website under tin tobaccos. Go to McClellends and they have "blending" tins of latakia, perique, etc.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
C&D's Billy Bud, a lat and cigar leaf blend with enough nic to kill a moose.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
TAD list noted. Priced that Pirate Cake and its really cheap by bulk. Never tried any of their tobaccos. Maybe I'll buy a half pound of it with my tobacco budget for the month.... Thanks fellas

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Good lookin out Baron. I will check out that pure!!! I would like to add it to some of my English/Balkan blends that are already good. I'm smoking GH&C Balkan Mixture right now as I type and its lovely stuff. Check it out!!!!

theray

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
Pirate Kake is what I would recommend ad well. I bought a 4 lb brick from pipesandcigars...love the stuff!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian is pretty heavy on the lat. You might also want to check out Hermit Tobacco Ten Russians.

Don't bother with the Frogs - they are very low in latakia.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Hey jud. Im sending that Dark twist out fri so mon you should have it. I think a half pound if Pirate Cake is in the TAD for me as well as some Latakia. I'm going to email Russ and see what he can du as far as getting me some strait Latakia. He has been a good friend to me!!!

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'd definitely recommend C&D DaVinci as well. That stuff has been my go to latakia lately and sadly my last tin is almost gone.
H&H Larry's Blend is great too. Heavy latakia but more dynamic in flavor so it stays interesting throughout the bowl.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I'm a new smoker and have only ever smoked aromatics, so I'm interested in trying a tin of this type. Which is better to try: C&D DaVinci or McClelland Blue Mountain?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Blue Mountain is definitely on my wishlist. It is supposed to be outstanding.
I see that GLP Odyssey hasn't garnered a mention so far. Doesn't that have a fairly strong latakia presence?

Status
Not open for further replies.