PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasc45

Lurker
Dec 3, 2017
Hi guys, I'm a newbie who just started enjoying (or trying to) the pleasure of pipe smoking.

I'm having the same problems every beginner has, but I understand that each case may have its own problems, so here's a detailed description of my two problems to see if anyone can help me out.
I have a Bazzanelli Briar 9mm pipe here at home. I also have a pack of Borkum Riff mixture of Bourbon Whiskey, which seems to be a really dry tobacco when I think about the other type I was using (I don't remember which tobacco it was, sorry).
The main problem I'm having is the bowl heating too much. I already lost the count of how many times I would light it, give five or six tries and just set the pipe aside and let it cool down. THe first two tris I give long "breaths", but the next ones are short and gentle, so as to let the tobacco burn gently.
But then the second problem kicks in: the tobacco does not stay lit. So I'm facing two problems right after the other--> not getting a safe and proper temperature and then having to let the fire die.
I have searched for many techniques, but none of them seems to work with me. The pipe gets too hot too soon, sometimes right after I lit it.
So help me guys, I understand there's technique involved, but I've never heard anyone explaining it carefully enough to beginners like me.
PS: I tried not to stack the tobacco too tight, and it seemed to work for a bit, though the high temperature continued to bother me.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I already lost the count of how many times I would light it, give five or six tries and just set the pipe aside and let it cool down. THe first two tris I give long "breaths", but the next ones are short and gentle, so as to let the tobacco burn gently.
It sounds like you are doing it correctly...
The pipe gets too hot too soon, sometimes right after I lit it.
...I tried not to stack the tobacco too tight
Either you are pulling too hard, or the tobacco is packed too tightly, from the sound of things.
Try doing a half-bowl and keeping it loose, and clearing the stem beforehand with a pipe cleaner. Generally people use a pipe cleaner to clean the stem and bowl after every smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I tried Borkum Riff when it first hit the drugstore shelves here, back in the late '60s. I had the same problems -- using a Kaywoodie Hi-bole H9 (3/4 bent billiard with a thin chamber wall). In retrospect I realize that some combinations of pipe and tobacco brand will just never work.
Upon reflection, it may be that your pipe filter is part of the problem, as the Kaywoodie stinger might have been in my case. This is mere conjecture of course, but devices such as these alter the heat and moisture content of the smoke stream and interfere with some of the feedback you need to maintain a nice steady smoke. There is a whole camp of smokers that avoid pipes such as these.
To get past this, switch off to a corncob and some other, more forgiving tobacco, like Daughters & Ryan's, or GLP, or even Carter Hall. This is a time when you should be establishing your puffing cadence and "educating" your palate, and not struggling to make a finicky tobacco "work".
It may interest you to know that after more than 50yrs. my pipe rack is populated exclusively by thick-walled pipes, I dry my tobaccos before each smoke, and I still burn more matches than tobacco -- or so it seems! :lol:
So, don't give up. Eventually you'll find a sweet spot in your pipe smoking adventure, with many of the moments of pure bliss and sheer ecstasy that keep all of us coming back for more. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
(My anal-retentive proclivity for editing led to an expiration of posting time.)

I wanted to point out that very experienced and astute tobacco reviewers, such as our own jiminks, never fail to mention whether a particular blend requires an excessive number of "re-lights". It's a common concern.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
You did not mention using a tamper. I use a old barn nail or my finger most of the time but about anything will work. after you load your pipe draw through it , it should have about the same resistance as drinking through a straw. Try to light it take a couple of slow draws and let it go back out. use your tamper to lightly tap the ash and tobacco back down and relight. after a couple of long very slow draws [breath through your nose] lightly tamp the tobacco while slowly drawing through the pipe. This should get you started. Whenever you think your pipe is going out, lightly tamp as you draw. sometimes when you tamp you can use your tamper to go around the edges to lightly push unburned tobacco to towards the middle.It sound like most of your heat is coming from drawing to hard trying to keep it lit. It took me a long time to get past this problem. Just always remember to go slow. if you start to have problems, it's ok to let it go out let it rest give it a little tamp and try it again.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Your first problem about relights - I used to fuss over relights, not so much anymore. The relighting process is dependant on moisture level of the tobacco, packing technique, and your breathing cadence. But this:
THe first two tris I give long "breaths", but the next ones are short and gentle, so as to let the tobacco burn gently.
makes me think that you are getting your breathing under control.
Have you tried the 3 pinch method for packing bowls?
YouTube link
I do a little clockwise twist at the end so all the tobacco strands hit each other.
Hopefully it will take care of that second problem too. Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes! I didn't even mention tamping!
DSC_0666_1024x1024.JPG

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
What are you lighting with? If your doing a lot of relights I would recommend using a match. Seems to be the softest flame in my experience.

vasc45

Lurker
Dec 3, 2017
Thank you all guys for the answers and incentives. I'll try different approaches to this problem, and I guess practice will lead me to what I'm looking for.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
I find Riff burns too hot anyway an the casin on it dont help. Try a gentler, milder baccy till you git the hang o it

amisk

Lurker
Aug 11, 2017
I tried all the packing methods I could find, frank, gravity, swirl in the palm.. Still many relights, to the point where it was not enjoyable. Constantly trying to fire up the bowl also leads to hot smoke. What worked for me (that’s always the caveat here) is packing with gravity progressively looser until I got it just right. Also, don’t be shy when you light - light it up then calm it down. After doing this I am able to enjoy a bowl with few relights. I was using the all the suggested methods but “tight” “loose” are somewhat subjective and I was packing too tight.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
...packing with gravity progressively looser...

What do you mean exactly? Just pouring in the tobacco so that it's loose throughout, versus the 'loose on the bottom, progressively firmer towards the top' convention?

amisk

Lurker
Aug 11, 2017
I would use the traditional gravity method or 3 step method but I was still packing it too tight. what i do now is gravity fill the bowl giving it some good solid taps to get the tobacco settled and finger tamp ever so gently at the end. This changed the game for me, that and the breath method.

amisk

Lurker
Aug 11, 2017
What I meant by the “progressively looser” was when i was initially experimenting with packing. I’d use the 3 step method but I wouldn’t pack it down and then add more. I guess I use some step method.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'll butt in and say resolutely: Forget about "packing methods". Dry the stuff before loading and there'll be precious little difference in the outcome, whether you spend ten minutes or ten seconds packing the chamber. And tamping becomes more manageable when the tobacco is not wet.
Best wishes!

amisk

Lurker
Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for the drying advice. I have somd tobacco sitting out now. I'm going to give it an hour before I smoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.