Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Our summer here has been unusually warm. This past week, the high temperatures broke records all across the province.

Last night it finally broke.

I just finished a bowl of Esoterica Pembroke in the garage in my MM Legend and watched the rain sleeting down.

The temperature right now is 10C or 50F

A pleasant break.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
We have had a warm summer on Vancouver Island as well. Ten degrees C is not a heat wave break though that is early winter in my book! We are sitting at cool 18 which is low enough for August. Plenty of that cold stuff coming later in the year.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
It has been a hot one for sure this past week. The rain and cool weather are a welcome change of pace. Calgary hit 35-degrees C, which is too hot for this guy!

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Well... It is heading to Montreal now. Thank you Alberta))))
...by way of SW Ontario first. A heat advisory is issued here for tomorrow and Monday. Glad I can enjoy my pipes inside in the air conditioning!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
We supposedly broke a record for today's date here in Tucson at 110 F. Spent a delightful day at the airport working on shiny metal airplanes!

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Calgary hit 35-degrees C, which is too hot for this guy!
I work in construction and I nearly keeled over on Thursday. Plus, it was almost too hot to smoke a pipe.
Now, 12C is too damn cold for me. That's a 23 degree drop from Thursday. Never happy lol.
Aldecaker, you work on the ramp? I spent 7 years at Calgary Int'l on the ramp. Smokin hot in summer, bitter cold in winter. Actually there were many great days too.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Oh, yeah. Definitely gotta take the good with the bad. I'm line maintenance, so it's a different adventure (disaster) all the time. If you're the type that's not wired for working in a cubicle, it's hard to beat, though. Always nice to meet a fellow wingnut!

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
^Right on. The line maintenance guys were all pretty awesome. I'm still an admitted wingnut, that's for sure.

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic. :lol:

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Perique, I don't know how you folks do it. Also, Canadians will complain of the heat one day, and 24 hours later say that it's too cold. :mrgreen:
Thanks Shikano. But don't get me started on planes and airports lol.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I don't think we broke any records last week here in Saskatoon but it was a week long run of 30+ days. I don't have air conditioning in the house so if the temperature doesn't drop enough at night and I can't circulate enough cool air in to the house it really starts to pile up after a couple of hot days. Last night was the first night being able to sleep in a cold room! It was heavenly. Slept under my duvet instead of a thin sheet!
I really don't know how some of you folk in the lower states do it. I know you acclimate to the surroundings you're in but I seriously think I'd burst in to flame. Give me a place where it's eternally autumn and I'd be in heaven; thick cotton shirts, a light vest for bonus warmth, sturdy leather boots and a pipe to smoke.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm with you on that eternal autumn thing, drezz. I grew up in upstate New York; you could throw a rock and damn near hit Canada from there. The first couple summers out here in the desert were pretty challenging! Fortunately, my Dad is a North Carolina native, and spending some summers there as a kid helped me acclimate a bit.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Been in a pretty large heat wave here in Mississippi, which is always warm except for January-March :D The heat index has been around 114-120, with actual temps around 100-104F. Our humidity pretty much stays at a constant 90-98%

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Heat PLUS humidity really kicks my ass. At least we usually get lower humidity with our high temps out here; makes it a little more bearable for me. I feel for ya with that 90-98% junk.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Ugh humidity! That's another thing I can do without. Don't get me wrong, on a trip down to an all-inclusive for a week or so the tropical humidity is great! Living with it is a whole other ordeal. I went to school in Toronto for 6 years and even the humidity there during the summers was unbearable. Some comedian described humidity as feeling like a thousand strangers are touching you at once. I think that's especially true in big cities - especially ones that happen to be experiencing a garbage strike and being told to dump your refuse in public parks.
At least when it's hot here in the prairies it's a relatively dry heat.
Not to mention what the middle east is experiencing this summer!
The Iraqi meteorological agency said temperatures around the country this week would average 48-51C.
That's 118-124F for our metric-holdout neighbours to the south.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Metric holdouts! That's funny, right there, I guess because it's true. Ironically, we cling to the "English System" of measurement when everyone else, including the English, have gone metric. I personally don't understand the hullaballoo; the name of a given unit is completely irrelevant. 1/4th of a pound could be called 25% of a Fred, and it's still the same damned thing. The biggest argument I've heard is the old saw of "the metric system is all in tenths." So what? So are decimal inches. You can decimalise any unit of measurement, as you can fractionalise any unit of measurement. I understand people having a hard time with fractions; I know a lot of people who have a hard time with, say, welding. Anyone who argues that one or the other system is "easier" to manipulate will have a big job of convincing me of that. Now, getting rid of pounds, shillings, and pence in favor of decimalisation? THAT made sense.
EDIT: Forgot to add, my wife is a scientist and I am an aircraft mechanic specializing in Canadair Regional Jets (a fine quality Canadian product, BTW). We are both fluent in metric due to our jobs, so it doesn't matter to us, anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.