PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Got this stuff as part of a Hearth and Home sampler pack. The bag has a really nice mix of black and brown ribbon cut leaves and the bag smell is very woodsy and leathery with a hint of raisin and a nice earthy aroma. One of the only Hearth and Home blends that I had to dry for any time at all, but it only took about 5 minutes of air time and it was good to go. The ribbon cut packs easily, and with the dryness of this blend and the cut I found that I could use a little firmer pack than I usually do. First light tastes of earthy hay and straw sweetness with a bit of that leather latakia taste. Second light and the latakia really comes through, nice and smoky, very rich and oily with a whole mouth coating kind of feel to it. The Virginias help round out the flavor and compliment the Latakia very well with a kind of straw, wheat, almost raisiny type flavor. The Turkish tobacco doesn't seem to be in very high amount but it is there and gives a backbone to the blend, almost lending a flavor of spice not unlike cardamom or maybe even allspice. As with all the other Hearth and Home blends, this one uses only high quality leaf and burns down to the finest of ashes and leaves no goop, and smokes very cool and with no bite at all. Honestly, I havent ever really heard anyone ever say anything about this blend, and it surprised me with a real richness of flavor and bold depth that makes it a perfect after dinner smoke or a great smoke on a night like tonight when it is bone chillingly cold outside as it has that perfect Latakia hit, not too much to be one dimensional but not so mild that you can't taste it. Highly recommended for lovers of a more stout English blend or someone who wants to give Latakia a try in higher doses.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I've purchased a couple of those samplers in the last few months and I've tried most, if not all of Russ's English/Balkan blends. If you like HoL you should try Ambassador and Armada (great english blends). If you like balkan blends you should try Mt. Marcy and Sunjammer (these are a little more oriental forward).
ps: Baron, if you read this you NEED to try Mt. Marcy (I've read a lot of your reviews and you and I have similar tastes) as it is my new favorite balkan.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Someday, I hope to be able to write a review like that. In the meantime, I've been enjoying HoL as part of my current rotation through the H&H sampler I ordered a couple of months back... :D

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I really need to try more of their lat blends, including in the regular line. I am already a huge fan of Larry's Blend. :puffy:

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I've an 8 oz can of House of Lords unopened in the cellar since last summer and have been so hooked on Vas and VaPers of late that I've neglected most of my english/balkan blends for weeks if not months. Now you got me thinking....

Jul 15, 2011
I find it pretty funny that I wrote this a couple of months ago and it was dead until someone decided to read it again. I have smoked it on and off and while it is not as complex as Black House, the flavor profile is kind of similar, so anyone who wants a good latakia smoke and has a hard time getting their hands on Black House might find this a welcome substitute.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Actually, I think I did read this one when I was picking out the English/Latakia blends to round out my sampler order - I got House of Lords, Victorian Stroll, and Daybreak (as well as a tin of Black House). All good stuff, and yet distinctive. I'm still educating my palate, so I can't yet write intelligently about the specific differences, but I can definitely tell that they're there - and the E/L blends are very different from the aros, now that I've smoked a small representative sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.