PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I just bought a butt load of Hearth & Home 8 oz cans. Apparently there is a problem with the tins rusting on the inside? I've read that the tins come with silver or gold bottoms. The gold ones are supposed to be ok.
I guess I am color blind because I am unable to determine if the bottom is gold or silver. Does anyone have a photo that can be posted here to help determine the differences?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Someone else will probably type in this rote reply, but consider purchasing a bunch of quart jars ($12/8) and using those to keep the tobaccos. That's a combination of "better safe than sorry" and practicality, in that they provide a good environment for aging and you're not going to smoke all of that in the next few weeks -- or maybe you are. I wrap mine in gaffer's tape to keep out the light, and for kicks added some wires and a clock so anyone opening the closet has a heart attack.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I believe this issue with H&H tins has been remedied for quite some time. I recently bought about 10 lbs worth of different H&H blends and all of the tin bottoms have a goldish tint to them when angled under the light. However, if in doubt jar them up for the peace of mind.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you buy their special this month, you can get some of their blends for $ 1.50 / oz. Buy two 17.99 get one free.

Pretty nice price point right there.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I love P&C and have ordered many pounds of H&H both in tin and bulk to smoke and cellar. My caution on the 8 oz tins is that they are not all tin. They are cardboard with a metal top and bottom. This is common throughout the industry. Most larger containers (tins) are made of treated paper with a metal top and bottom or plastic. In the past tins were tins made of tin :) Some smaller tins still are metal with paper labels.

But most of the larger amounts are not in metal. Because of this I have chosen to move any tobaccos in paper and metal tops and bottoms to mylar bags. You can use glass canning jars if you choose. The small tins are good to go as is. I would scratch the label on smaller tins if you are not sure if they are metal. Most of these you will have opened some of as you smoked through them and are aware of their construction. It is your choice, but other than the fully metal tins, I would be reluctant to trust anything but mylar or glass canning jars that have been sealed to store your tobacco over the long haul.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
True. The H&H tins do have a cardboard body with metal tops and bottoms. However, it is a very sturdy and thick cardboard and not the super thin style ones common on Sutliff tins. Personally, I'm not worried about these H&H 8 oz tins. I am very conservative when it comes to the upkeep of my cellar and have been known to seal perfectly good tins in pairs within mylar bags for long term aging (a bit overkill, but whatever) and the thought of keeping tobacco in cardboard tins would ordinarily not be considered, but they are so well made that I'm not concerned about keeping them as is for a couple years.
....but again, if you want to be 100% confident just jar the good stuff up.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm not worried about the tins either. A few months ago, I opened up a 2012 eight ounce tin of Virginia Spice and a 2012 eight ounce tin of Anni Kake. The tobacco inside was very moist in both cases with no rust, no comprise of the seal. And they tasted great.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you do have one of the older silver-bottom tins and there's rust inside, let us know right away and we will replace it or refund your money.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.