PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
LMAO, Roth!
Sorry for the failure in communications.
Where do I find the tinning date on the H&H tins?
BTW, I don't trust their tins either. I'm just looking for the manufacturing date.
Fnord

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
i also sharpie mine, I do not know how to find "actual" date.

thanks for the tip, I find it hard to trust the H&H tins for long term cellaring also, you just verified it for me.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I just received my first two blends from H&H today, and I have to say, I don't think I'll be trusting their tins at all! I popped them immediately and put them in jars!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
That's a good question for Russ. I don't think there's any code markings on any H&H tins. Maybe with the increasing demand from people to have the age of tobacco being a factor he may consider adding one. This is a good point as we look into the future and the gray market where age will become even more of a factor. We already are seeing just the beginning of this on sites like Ebay and even online retail shops like 4noggins. Just as an example from the site there's a 2oz tin of GP Haddo's Delight with a P@C label on the bottom dating it 2002. NOW the problem with stickers like this one is it can be easily counterfeited. This example shows the ease of making a sticker and a craft shop stamp. When your talking about the value added by age I'd like to see tins actually "stamped", with common knowledge of the brands marking policy this would increase the value of your tins that are an investment.
Cigars and Pipe tobacco are defiantly an investment, and one with a huge return on investment. Just as an example I saw an 8 year tin of Escudo go for $62 (which probably was bought for $3 at the time) with 18 bidders. I'm sure we all realize that the price of tobacco is going to go up next year, and it will probably go up a lot into the future. To make a product with a tamper proof date would actually be a value added extra to the manufacturer/retailers.
Just my couple coppers on the table.
Craig

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
My H&H tins have a sticker with a date (same as C&D/Pease). I do prefer a stamp as featured on the McClelland tins, but I suppose at some point I'm willing to extend a bit of trust. Twenty years down the road? Probably prefer a stamp. :D

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The tins we currently use don't have a date stamp on them. Considering the "mission statement" of our product line- quality tobaccos at a fair price, we opted to reduce costs by going to the composite tins. But, interestingly, I just popped open a tin from the very first batch, which was a little over 2 years old, and the tobacco was in fine shape.
Russ

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Could someone tell me what's the problem with H&H tins? They don't seem much different than my GL Pease or McClelland tins. What's not to trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.