PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
I have only been pipe smoking for about 6 months now and I am really starting to enjoy this blend. I think Russ has done a great job on this mild English blend. I am also a huge fan of Black House and Larry's blend as well but find myself coming back to TTM at least 3-4 times a week.
True, it may be a bit dry for this krumple kake but I find it burns nice and slow in my large Charatan. It produces lots of smoke. I think its a great blend to sip when you have a lot a time to enjoy it.

In its light to medium form, I find just the right amount of nicotine to satisfy me.
I don't have enough experience in the taste department yet to give a proper evaluation but I can taste the Latakia and Orientals in there. There is something about this dark and comforting blend that keeps me coming back for more.
Curious of what others have to say about the blend?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I haven't smoked it in a while, but I like it as well. I have a little over half a pound of it in the cellar aging.

It's a good relaxing, cool burning smoke, with lots of Latakia goodness. It burns slow and dry as well.

Good stuff!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Thank you for the mini reviews!
I do believe I will order me a few ounces or a tin.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Full disclosure: I 'searched' the forums with the term "all day blend" to see if there were any threads pertaining,and one of the threads was this one. I like 10 to Midnight, so, I'm 'piggy backing' on this thread to give it a boost.

All Day Blend?​

How do you define this term? What is your criteria? Should I start a whole new 'topic'?

We've got a lot of members who don't smoke enough to use this term, but I think they do still use it.

I've seen it used when a tobacco is rich and tasty but unusually strong "this is rich and tasty but not an all day blend."

Or, "this one is full of perique and latakia and stoved virginias, but it's so perfectly blended, pressed and cut that it is easily an all day blend."

I smoke all day. I seldom smoke the same tobacco twice in a row. I wonder if I'm doing it wrong? :puffpipe:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Speaking of Ten to Midnight, I tried to order a couple 8oz tins on P&C, but there isn't an 8oz option to buy anymore!
1.5 oz and bulk. Bulk isn't the same as tinned.
What's the deal?

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
I was given some by a very generous fellow forum member, and it is one of those blends I find myself looking forward to.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@dave g
Speaking of Ten to Midnight, I tried to order a couple 8oz tins on P&C, but there isn't an 8oz option to buy anymore!
1.5 oz and bulk. Bulk isn't the same as tinned.
What's the deal?
The 8 oz tins seem to come and go. I ordered my favorite Blend No 5 in those until it became unavailable. Just bought some Ambassador's and Larry's blend in that size.
I'll have to try Ten to Midnight sometime.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
All Day Blend?
How do you define this term? What is your criteria? Should I start a whole new 'topic'?
Yes, to the new topic.
For me: it means anything that does not get boring, and does not overwhelm, such that I can smoke ten bowls of it in a day. This varies with the user.
For example, I could smoke Semois or Prince Albert mixed with Five Brothers all day, but that might be too much Nicotine to be fun for others.
Thus, there's an implication of "mild" in both flavor and strength to this appellation.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Actually, the manufacturer is phasing out the 8 oz. tins, so we had no choice. Also, the bulk is exactly the same product as what's in the tuns.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other Russ blended mild English that I really like (and I haven't tried Ten to Midnight yet) are Midtown series Chestnut and his experimental Balkan (well, it is similar to English) M61. I also like his Va/Bur/Cav heritage Americana blend Log Cabin (bulk).
newbroom, all-day blends are those considered by a reviewer or other smoker mild enough to smoke right along through the day, as opposed to full-strength and stronger blends that most pipe smokers would find pleasant one bowl at a time, though some of us may find them good in sequential bowls too.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Great blend. Difference between tin and bulk is prep. Tin is sticks (~3/16" square by 2-3 inches), take a few, line them up, fold and stuff, burns like little punks. Bulk is a block, which I cut into sticks, 3/16" square...
Did I mention, great blend..

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Newbroom, those are very good points. As DM suggested, why don't you start a new thread?

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
mso: I wonder when that M61 blend is coming out, and what it's actual name will be if not M61.
I enjoy TTM, but I prefer Larry's Blend, because I like the added spiciness of that blend. They're both really good, though, along with Ambassador's Blend. Also, it's not bulk, but I really love Cerberus. That might be my favorite H&H Latakia blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The experimental M61 Balkan blend hasn't reappeared, so it is either being perfected or undergoing fundamental changes, as do many of Russ' blends. He takes his time and comes up with some great smoking. I'm still enjoying my M61; the jar doesn't stay sealed. All of his seem balanced, interesting over repeated smokes, and original.

Status
Not open for further replies.