PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
First off I'd like to personally say 'Thank You' to Larry Loerzel on his recommendations to Russ Ouellette on creating this blend! I've been smoking this outstanding mixture over a year now.
Hearth & Home Signature Larry's Blend is one of my top favorite English / Balkan mixtures that I smoke on a weekly bases. This is a blend of high quality tobaccos consisting of Latakia, Oriental, Turkish & Virginia.
Larry's Blend has fantastic flavor with slight creamy sweetness which is complimented by the smokey Latakia. Well balanced, spicy and delicious. It does not need any drying time because it comes in the tin at the correct moisture level for smoking. I really love this blend and the only drawback I have found perhaps is slight tongue bite if smoked too fast. It's probably just me though. This blend rocks in my large bowled Mastro de Paja.
I purchase this blend in the 8 oz tin because it's cheaper per ounce than bulk, odd huh? I then transfer into Mason jars for long term storage and allowed to age. I rotate and smoke from jars stored for 6 months or more. If you are a full bodied English/Balkan fan give this blend a try. You wont be sorry!
HINT: On a side note when transferring the blend into glass jars the tin label is stick on and easily peeled off and replaced onto Mason jars.
larry2.jpg

larry9.jpg

larrys1.jpg

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I am a mostly English/Balkan smoker, but wasn't overly fond of Larry's Blend when I first tried it. I had heard so many good things about it I guess I was overly-hopeful. So I let it sit for about 2 weeks and tried it more and more after that. Now it is one of my favorites.
And thanks for the label tip. :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Excellent post, Durham.
I've got 3 lbs. squirreled away and enjoy LB on a weekly basis. Two nights ago I fired up several bowls, circa 2008, and they were exceptionally good.
I enjoy the "bite" when it's new and how the Lat mellows with age.
In the same vein, try H&H's 10 to Midnight.
Russ rules.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a fan as well. I call it "Penazance Light".
One night back in 2012, while traveling up in Albany, I stopped by P&C. I picked up some Larry's Blend to enjoy in the lounge and the clerk asked if I was there for the Pipe Club meeting. I sure was! Five guys were sitting around the table and throughout the evening, after Russ joined the group, I learned one was the Larry that inspired the blend.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Al, sounds like it was a great evening! I wish there was a pipe club or something closer to my area. I feel as though I'm the only pipe smoker in a 100 mile radius!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Probably. Russ was there and introduced him. I miss this place since Russ moved his operation (they no longer carry pipe stuff). When I'm in Albany now, I drive another 25 minutes up the road to Park Lane, but no Larry's Blend!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I have an 8 oz tin waiting for me. It's one of the first blends that really clicked with me.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Yes, that is, indeed, a photo of the inestimable Larry Loerzel, who I made Larry's Blend for. That man is singlehandedly resposible for the economic health of the Latakia processors in Cyprus. I swear that he has a hookah on his nightstand, lights it up before he lays down, so he can puff on Latakia while he sleeps.
Russ

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I stopped at the Cigars International today in Hamburg PA. They are now carrying the H&H tins, including Larrys Blend at $7.95/tin! I bought a couple of tins and some Presbyterian Mixture. I see they are now carrying GLP and C&D blends. I assume this is your influence Russ! I asked about the elusive Crown Achievement and they said it was coming soon.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"That man is singlehandedly resposible for the economic health of the Latakia processors in Cyprus."
Just goes to show you what one man - one single point of light - can accomplish when the stars align, God smiles and then tilts the table slightly in our favor.
We few. We precious few....
It was a pleasure meeting you in Kansas City last spring, Russ. Your stories about naming blends were wonderful and you had my son's young friend and I in stitches telling us about the piper behind "Frenchy's Sunzabitches".
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.