Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Does anyone here like it? Or dislike it? As you might know from my "Recommendations for a Carter Hall" thread, I'm trying various different codger burleys, both past and present. I never got to try the venerable Walnut, and I am interested in trying Russ's match, though I am not yet sold on the idea of buying a whole tub of it. I'd like to hear opinions of anyone who has smoked Chestnut and likes codger burley blends.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like that general flavor profile, but I think you get a better "American English" by mixing Carter Hall with the Lat bomb of your choice. One of the best combos I have found is 70% CH, 10% Orlik Golden Sliced, and 10% blending Lat, but have also had great results with just CH and a good strong English mixed to taste.
EDIT: If I already mentioned this on the other thread, just ignore me. I tend to drone.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like it. It's very close tot he original. Here's my review:
As many smokers know, Chestnut is a Match for the discontinued Walnut, and both are comprised of many different varieties of tobaccos. In it, I get a light taste of Kentucky, grassy, citrusy Virginia (it forms the base of the blend), some nuts and molasses from the burley as a supporting player, a touch of honey from the cavendish, and a slight dry, woody note from the Oriental/Turkish. The Cyprian latakia is a minor addition, but gives a very mild smokey, woody push to the other components. I know Maryland is in here, but I can’t taste it. The topping is mildly sweet. Overall, it has nice subtlety of flavors that meld well together for a mild to medium smoke. Has a mild nic-hit. No chance of bite or harshness. Burns clean, cool and dry at a moderate pace with a consistent flavor. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and needs few relights. Has a light, pleasant after taste, and is an all day smoke.
What’s the difference between Chestnut and the original? The original sometimes has a little chemical taste from the topping that Chestnut does not, and it could get a slight bitter hit near the end, which Chestnut does not do. The original is a shade sweeter, and a tiny bit nuttier, while Chestnut has just a smidgen more latakia. Otherwise, I can’t tell the difference. My description of Chestnut mirrors anything I would say about Walnut, except the noted differences. And if I hadn't spent all that time comparing the two blends (14 bowls each, often back to back), I doubt I'd have noticed any differences, which are very minor at best. I rated Chestnut at four stars, even though I rated Walnut at three, for how close it is to the original, and for being a little better smoke.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thank you much, Jim! I just found and read your reviews of all the Sutliff matches. I am glad to hear that Sutliff's bulk Walnut match is (or appears to be) the same as the Hearth & Home (Sutliff) Chestnut tub blend.
I will add a few ounces of bulk Walnut match to my next P&C order so I can give it a try without needing to buy nearly a pound of it. I am looking for a good blend to take hunting and fishing this Fall when I might want something easy to smoke, but with a bit more "oomph" than my usual outdoor tobacco Carter Hall. Being a big fan of both codger burley and English blends, I am hoping that the Walnut match might do the trick.
Thank you as well Aldecaker, I might give some home blending a try and see if I can come up with what I'm looking for, which is basically an easy-to-smoke burley-forward American English.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chestnut is a great blend to me. It's balanced; it has some complexity; it's flavorful but not overbearing; it's non-aromatic. It burns evenly and well and stays lit. The cut packs well. It is English in its constituent tobaccos, but has some of the virtues of the old burley codger blends, including the burley. To top off the deal, it is a real bargain at about $28 a tub. Russ Ouellett really applied his knowhow in blending this one. Beyond my opinion, I sent an array of tins and a baggie of this to a highly experienced and particular pipe smoker friend, and Chestnut was the one he singled out for praise, so it isn't just me. In some ways, I wish PC would offer the Midtown series in pouches so people could sample them before ordering a tub, but with this blend at this price, I'd take the chance. If you don't like it, and some may not, you can probably trade it or gift it to someone who will share my high opinion.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I've often wished that the series had a pouch option as well, or a small sample pack. I always hesitate to commit to a tub without trying a bowl or two first. I've always been interested in the Chatham Manor, Prince Andrew, and Chestnut but 14oz is too much for a curiosity.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I just got done reading the sticky, "A Friendly Reminder About Starting New Threads." Based on that, I am wondering if a thread like this doesn't belong in the Pipe Tobacco Reviews subforum.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Maybe one of the sponsor personnel will see this and offer some type of sampler on a limited run or one of the "head to head" comparison deals they like to occasionally do.
Based on the commentary, it ought to do well enough to be worth the effort.
jay-roger.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I just got done reading the sticky, "A Friendly Reminder About Starting New Threads." Based on that, I am wondering if a thread like this doesn't belong in the Pipe Tobacco Reviews subforum.
Aside from the fact that my original post is not a review, there's no need to be pedantic. If you follow that sticky to the letter, then the "general" forum (where nearly all of the conversation here takes place) would be dead because the "general" forum is for posts having "[n]othing to do with pipes, tobacco, or smoking."
Chestnut is a great blend to me. It's balanced; it has some complexity; it's flavorful but not overbearing; it's non-aromatic. It burns evenly and well and stays lit. The cut packs well. It is English in its constituent tobaccos, but has some of the virtues of the old burley codger blends, including the burley. To top off the deal, it is a real bargain at about $28 a tub. Russ Ouellett really applied his knowhow in blending this one. Beyond my opinion, I sent an array of tins and a baggie of this to a highly experienced and particular pipe smoker friend, and Chestnut was the one he singled out for praise, so it isn't just me. In some ways, I wish PC would offer the Midtown series in pouches so people could sample them before ordering a tub, but with this blend at this price, I'd take the chance. If you don't like it, and some may not, you can probably trade it or gift it to someone who will share my high opinion.
Thank you for the insights. I am increasingly enjoying Russ's Chatham Manor which I just got last week (though I wish it was a bit lighter on the chocolate notes) enough that I would consider ordering the Chestnut tub. However, Sutliff also has a "Walnut Match" bulk on P&C which I suspect is going to be the same as the Hearth & Home Chestnut. It would be kind of odd and redundant if Sutliff is actively selling two separate Walnut clones, though I suppose it could be possible. In summary, I think the Sutliff Walnut Match is probably the same blend as Russ's Chestnut.
Maybe one of the sponsor personnel will see this and offer some type of sampler on a limited run or one of the "head to head" comparison deals they like to occasionally do.

Based on the commentary, it ought to do well enough to be worth the effort
I would definitely like to see a Hearth & Home Mid-Town series sampler... though I suppose it would be moot for my purposes if I keep ordering Mid-Town tubs to try out :puffy:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
This is the strangest review I have ever read. But moving on, the chocolate is pretty strong on the Chatham Manor?
Haha, a strange review indeed.
I didn't mean to overstate the "chocolate" notes in Chatham Manor. It's not like a chocolately aromatic or anything. Chatham Manor is quite good. It's just that I was not expecting any chocolate / cocoa notes from a Carter Hall match. The notes that I detect in Chatham Manor, from strongest to weakest, are chocolate, molasses, and whiskey. Sometimes the molasses rivals the chocolate notes. The whiskey is in the background. These tasting "notes" are quite subjective of course. According to tobaccoreviews.com, Russ Ouelette says the blend is topped only with vanilla and whiskey. Many other reviewers have tasted chocolate notes as well. Anyhow, lest I make it sound like a chocolate aromatic, the topping is light, and I definitely recommend giving some CM a try.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I am increasingly enjoying Russ's Chatham Manor which I just got last week (though I wish it was a bit lighter on the chocolate notes) enough that I would consider ordering the Chestnut tub. However, Sutliff also has a "Walnut Match" bulk on P&C which I suspect is going to be the same as the Hearth & Home Chestnut. It would be kind of odd and redundant if Sutliff is actively selling two separate Walnut clones, though I suppose it could be possible. In summary, I think the Sutliff Walnut Match is probably the same blend as Russ's Chestnut.
There is no chocolate in Chatham Manor. Anything you taste that seems like chocolate is probably just from the Burley itself. The top note is actually a combination of vanilla and bourbon.

Chestnut is made for us by Sutliff, but that's our (Hearth & Home's) blend. The Walnut match is different.
Russ

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
There is no chocolate in Chatham Manor. Anything you taste that seems like chocolate is probably just from the Burley itself. The top note is actually a combination of vanilla and bourbon.

Chestnut is made for us by Sutliff, but that's our (Hearth & Home's) blend. The Walnut match is different.
Russ
Thank you for the clarification on the Chatham Manor toppings, and the difference between Chestnut vs. the Walnut match. I will add a tub of Chestnut to my next P&C order.
To be fair on the "chocolate" issue, I am currently smoking my first bowl of Lane's Edgeworth Ready Rubbed re-release, and I'm getting an overall similar toasty / chocolate / molasses profile that seems to be common in various proportions in burley blends.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Heya, Lawdawg!
I think Jim's review of Walnut match is spot on. The only thing I would add is that this blend and, indeed, most of the "old school" burley blends in the match series are really underrated and are excellent all day smokes. I think sometimes we forget that many of the blends available to us are really not suitable to the all day smoking regimen. When I want something strong or really complex, those blends are great, but, when I want a nice, comfortable companion all day, the blends like Walnut match are my go to choice.
I have tried H&H Midtown Chestnut and the Walnut match. Without upsetting any delicate sensibilities with anything resembling a review in this thread, I will say they are very, very similar and you should be happy with either one. But, why limit yourself? My solution was to keep both on hand to study the differences in detail, you know, for science! :-D
Cheers,
Chili

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thank you, Chili. I am with you 100% on old school burley blends as all day smokes, and that a lot of great blends do not work so well for all day smokes. If I smoked my beloved English blends all day, my tongue would turn into a piece of leather.
To put it into context, I'm a recovering cigarette smoker, and good old school burley blends are the difference between me lighting up a cigarette and going for the pipe. Old school pipe tobacco it is!

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Hey, don't feel bad. We made a good choice to switch from cigarettes to pipes! In fact, after I went about a month without a cigarette, they didn't taste good to me any longer. An occasional "taste test" continues to reinforce my decision. :)
On the latakia topic, I agree and who needs a leather tongue? Luckily, we have blends like Chestnut, Walnut, Revelation match, and so on that give us a little of that smoky goodness in our burley smoke. Not only are old school burley blends underrated, American English blends don't get nearly enough attention.
Cheers,
Chili

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Chili:
I have to agree that American English blends do not get enough attention, praise and overall good comments. But that’s our secret and we can keep enjoying them.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
^^^ If you guys have any recommendations for other American English blends, I'm all ears (and pipes) :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.