PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
So let me start off by saying I love a bunch of the H&H blends with Magnum Opus and Blackhouse being at the top of my list of H&H blends.
I'm interested in ordering a pound of each and so far I've only ordered them as tins. It's considerably cheaper to buy them in bulk. I was curious about people's opinion's between the 2. Particularly if they have noticed any difference.
I can get 2 - 8oz tins of Magnum Opus for $69.98 or $79.98 for Blackhouse. Or I can get 16 oz of either for $46.40. That's quite a bit of savings.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This topic has come up several times. I don't understand why there should be any difference between bulk and tinned. It seems to me that the tins are filled from a bulk container so why do some believe that there is a difference?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The primary differences between the bulk and tinned are that there's fermentation occuring in the tins because of the contained environment, whereas the bulk is more exposed to fresh air, so there will be little or no fermentation going on after blending. The second thing is that bulk is subject to more handling, so there may be more "shake" (powdery tobacco) in the mix than there would be in the tins. As far as the content goes, they're exactly the same.
Russ

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for clearing things up, Russ. I've wondered about the difference, but never really gave it a lot of logical though.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
You'd be right in that assumption. After the aerobic fermentation has gobbled up the oxygen, anaerobic fermentation takes over. The tobaccos can change quite drastically over time.
Russ

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
The second thing is that bulk is subject to more handling, so there may be more "shake" (powdery tobacco) in the mix than there would be in the tins.

Ahhh, so that explains why pound of Anni Kake wasn't very kake-like. No worries, it taste the same and its jarred up for cellaring.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks for the reply Russ.
papipeguy if you listen to the Pipes Magazine radio show Brian says that some blends are not as good as bulk as he feels they use a lower quality leaf.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
All I can say about quality control is that for Hearth & Home, the same tobaccos are used for both bulk and tinned.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.