PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Last week P&C notified me that Hearth & Home Black House and White Knight were back in stock, I've seen many great reviews and raves of these blends and I wanted to try. When I came home yesterday 2 boxes were waiting for me, 1 from P&C and another was some pipes I sent out for rejuvenation and repair, including my vintage GBD. I decided the GBD and Black House would make a great pair, and I was correct, BH is a fine blend, living up to all the hype, and these two are now married in my collection.
Now to figure out which pipe to match with the White Knight, I will work on that after dinner.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes they are excellent blends and I agree with papipeguy, Magnum Opus is probably my favorite of the HH English blends.

Jan 8, 2013
Amazingly enough I've not tried White Knight. But as you can see from my signature photo I am indeed a Black Blood. Black House is an amazing blend. And in fact, it's time I ordered some more.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Amazingly enough I've not tried White Knight. But as you can see from my signature photo I am indeed a Black Blood. Black House is an amazing blend. And in fact, it's time I ordered some more.

What's the story behind this?

Jan 8, 2013
What's the story behind this?
A couple years ago, Black House was very popular among some of the members on this forum, and we started calling ourselves Black Bloods. One member in particular, Baronsamedi (I call him the Baron of Black House) was a driving force in the popularity of the blend, doing reviews and even meeting Russ Oulette (the blender). The baron got the tin art tattooed to his chest and Russ sent him a couple pounds of Black House for it haha. If my memory serves me correctly that's pretty much the story. Black House was the first balkan blend I tried and I fell in love with first puff. I still enjoy it very much.
Where is the Baron?
Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can chime in. But he hasn't frequented the forum in quite some time. I believe he might be doing youtube videos or something though.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Ah yes! That's where I heard about it! I saw the video where he showed off his tattoo. That's perdy cool actually. It's definitely a proper English but I mainly prefer the Smokers Haven blends over all, Exotique being the most brilliant English I've had the pleasure of smoking.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Funny how we distinguish blends differently. I would call Blackhouse a Balken. My favorite English would be Ashtons Artisan's blend. Hawky, I really need to try Exotique. You sure make it sound tasty.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
A few weeks ago, I bought some Black House on a whim, after reading some reviews. When I got home, I used an estate Chacom Regate that I had cleaned and had not smoked. The union between the pipe and the tobacco were sublime. I think I will dedicate this pipe to this blend. I think I need about a ton of Black House! Wait until I tell my wife that we have to remortgage the house to stock up on this great tobacco. Hmmm...it is sometimes better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. I'm going to the bank!

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I'm sorry, but in the end for me H&H Ten to Midnight and SG Balkan Flake are unbeatable. I haven't tried MB Latakia Flake, so hopefully it'll will just as good.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Ten to Midnight and SG Balkan Flake are fine smokes, but Black House and El Nino are also good blends that I keep in stock and I acquired a lot wile back on the BTGO sale

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Black House, Magnum Opus and White Knight are all fantastic. Some of my absolute favorites.
Also Anthony you hit the nail on the head. I think Baron ended up being a mod on another forum or something like that.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Black House is, and has been, one of the lumbar vertebrae of my pipe tobacco collection backbone and has been since it came out! It is, IMHO, a work of sublime art.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Whenever I see "Black House" mentioned, part of me hopes to see Baronsamedi jump in, but, alas, as other have stated, he has moved on to other forums. I miss him. We shared many similar interests, including Masonry. While I did not share his passion for BH, I nevertheless found it to be a very nice blend. And he is a great guy.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
both blends are exquisite, but black house is the one I tend to enjoy the most!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.