PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
So here's the story. I went to the NASPC Show in Columbus. I took some pipes to barter with, some to smoke, and a couple to give to my friend to clean up. I separated them by group purpose. The restores and barter pipes were placed in plastic grocery bags (in pouches of course). After the show, I left the barter and restore pipes (I forgot to give them to Jesse) in the bags in the trunk of my car. The next morning, I bought some yogurts for the Mrs. While out running errands. Well, when I got home, I forgot to take the bag of yogurts in the house! 3 days later, as I was on my way to work, an awful smell reminded me that the yogurts were still in my trunk! I stopped at a gas station and grabbed what I thought was the bag of yogurts and threw it away. 3 days later, the smell was still there! I opened my trunk... and there was the yogurt bag. Yep, I realized then that instead of yogurt, I had thrown away 2 old Savinelli Nonpareils that had been my father's pipes! I am just sick over this! How d@#*%d stupid!!!

skypilot

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2017
Sad to hear....not just because of the pipes, but because they had been in your dad's collection. Priceless, no matter what they were worth. My dad passed just a little over two years ago, and all of us sibs treasure the items we shared out, that had belonged to him.

Jan 8, 2013
Oh no! Man, I feel for you, that is truly heart wrenching. If you can, see if you can recover them from the trash. If they are still there, perhaps they can be salvaged. But don't beat yourself up too bad man. It's a mistake and it really sucks, but we all make them from time to time. Sorry to hear about this, and I hope you can get them back.

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Yes great advice to call the attendant. Ive done similar and when you call through in $50 reward. It will be found brother. Great luck!

Jun 27, 2016
You might be able to track it to where that load got dumped if you make some phone calls. I'd ask the station for the number of whoever picks it up and call them. Sometimes the number is on the side of the dumpster. I've heard of places that record the loads with GPS and know exactly where each one is in the heap. That might have been on an episode of CSI Miami though.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Sorry for your airhead-ed-ness? I've done some real airhead type things too. The other day a set of car keys were missing that I had used that morning. Long story short, I finally found them in the recycling bin. :oops:
Edit: Good news! Something can be learned from your experience.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, this certainly sucks, especially with the pipes having such and emotional connection to your father. But if this is really the dumbest thing that you ever did, you are either very young, or a much better man than me.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thank, everyone. Woodsroad- I'm 48, and have done a great many dumb things! The difference is I always KNEW what I as doing was dumb. This was unintentional stupidity caused by inexcusable inattention!

Brian, it was a great pleasure to meet you and your very lovely lady!

Tim

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tim, I know those pipes meant alot to you but what should mean more is the memories you have of your father with them.
Someone once told me; the memories made with the thing are far more important than the thing itself.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Mike, that is definitely true, and I still have three of his pipes, but it was a loss nonetheless. Thank you all for your kind words. If nothing else, I learned another valuable lesson!
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.