PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thankfully, by the time I saw this one, it was probably already sold (someone in Mass!).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261729522059?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Despite the sellers dubious reputation, I seriously considered hitting the "BIN" button (it sold moments later, whew). The 1057 is a pretty rare shape and I've never seen one with the Blue Riband and Giant stamps.
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The GIANT "stamping" looks rather suspect. The lines in the letters do not appear straight and the letters themselves seem to be different in size. Furhter, whereas the COMOY'S and BLUE RIBAND stamps look to have been applied before the finish, the GIANT "stamp" looks to be in bare wood. Do I just want to think the worst of this seller, or am I on to something?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Viewing the larger pictures in the listing does nothing to allay my suspicions.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can't find any other picture of a Giant stamped Comoys and this is the first one I've ever seen. So, not much to go on. All of the other nomenclature looks authentic. I'd be surprised if this seller had the ability to put on the Giant Stamp I'm also not sure how much value that adds over the Blue Riband stamp.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Well, I do hope I am wrong. That marking just looks like it was etched or scribed, especially compared to the other markings, all of which do look authentic.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
This just seems to muddy the waters: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=89674
Perhaps that Blue Riband is a genuine GIANT with the stamp "freshened" a bit.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That Gresham Giant was the only pix I found, not a single Comoys version to be found. Mr. Can sold one last year, but the pictures are gone.
004-002-5424.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think you made the right move Al, not to move, esp. at the price offered. Buroak's comment about the GIANT stamp may have some validity, it does look a little..."hinky".

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I suspect the difference in the appearance your seeing might be the different angles to the camera thus the lighting is different also.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, That was the best relevant picture I could find, too. That stamp definitely looks authentic and makes the basic lines of the that Blue Riband's GIANT marking look right.
mcitinner1, For the sake of the buyer, I hope you are right. I did notice some difference between the two pictures that show the stamp from different angles. Still, there seems to be bare wood showing in GIANT.
I think dmcmtk has summed it up best:
it does look a little..."hinky".

May 31, 2012
Buroak's comment about the GIANT stamp may have some validity, it does look a little..."hinky".
Hinky indeed,

it does look hinky,

damn hinky to me in fact.
But, I'm not really a well-seasoned Comoy's collector and I'm not up to snuff on all the minutia, y'know, most of the old Brit makers never bothered with "upgrading" on the old blasts! :mrgreen:
Here's the stamp compared to a Gresham Giant:
MjNsC5q.jpg

KaWiQfc.jpg

Best I could do on size, not many out there.
I did find Mr. Can's old auctions on Worthpoint, and surprisingly, most of the text was there too, it's usually clipped...

DcBYINl.jpg

The "GIANT" Nomenclature is among Comoy's rarest, and this Dunhill Group 6/ODA Size richly deserves it - - - it is nearly twice as large as a standard Comoy Billiard or Pot !!! And, note that this is a " SPECIAL " Straight Grain (and NOT a "Selected' Straight Grain) - - - another Comoy Rarity!!! As you can see in the pictures, the GRAIN and COLOR is comparable to many SPECIMEN STRAIGHT GRAINS and better than most SELECTED STRAIGHT GRAINS!!! In PRISTINE CONDITION , this SPECIAL STRAIGHT GRAIN GIANT is a RARE and COLLECTIBLE COMOY PIPE!!!
During its' history, Comoy offered pipes in every shape, size and finish, but they were among the leaders when it came to OVER-SIZE Pipes! In the early 1930s Comoy began upgrading EXTRA LARGE Pipes stamping them "GIANT"! Like the more common "Extraordinaire" nomenclature, this upgrading stamp could be applied to any pipe in any line so there could be a Blue Riband Giant, London Pride Giant and so on! It was used on Comoy's LARGER and/or LONGER pipes (and pipes like the Gresham Giant, Guildhall Giant, Lord Renfrew Giant and other "Giant's" became major pre-World War II collectibles). However, as a practical matter, the stamping " GIANT" was RARELY USED as Comoy also introduced their "800 Series" of over-size pipes in the 1930s. (Comoy's 800s were so successful, that Dunhill copied them and launched their own "800" numbered pipes that became ODA's)! Comoy's over-sized "800 Series" pipes were discontinued shortly after World War II, and the use of the old "GIANT" Stamping was resumed!
According to England's famed historian and pipe manufacturer, Jacques Cole, the name "Gresham Giant" was brought back after world War II (apparently in lieu of the 800s) and was assigned to all Comoy's oversize pipes. However, the practice of upgrading oversize Comoys in any line was also resumed and this Pipe is a great example - - - a SPECIAL STRAIGHT GRAIN GIANT !!! It is nearly 6 1/2" LONG (which is longer than most Canadians!) and has a LARGE BOWL OVER 1 3/4" WIDE with a 1" DIAMETER TOBACCO CHAMBER!!! Obviously, this Comoy deserved to be designated as a GIANT!!!
But, remember that this is also a GIANT STRAIGHT GRAIN !!! Comoy was one of the earliest pipe makers to use grain as the distinguishing quality in its high great pipes. We are familiar with those grades starting with Prima and continuing through Deluxe, Royal Comoy, and ultimately the legendary Specimen Straight Grain! The Specimen was being introduced about the same time World War II started in Europe.
The History of the "SPECIAL STRAIGHT GRAIN" (like all early Comoy's) is murky at best! SPECIAL STRAIGHT GRAINS were rarely available and were offered with the same frequency of Specimen Straight Grains (generally regarded as the "rarest pipe in pipe-collecting" as only one in every 10,000 Comoy's became a Specimen). Also, much like the fabled Specimen, SPECIAL STRAIGHT GRAINS were NOT included on Comoy's Price Lists! (They were not distributed with other Comoys but were held at the factory and were available upon special request to retailers. Comoy called this selling "on allocation.") Neither the "SPECIAL " nor "GIANT" NOMENCLATURE appeared regularly in Comoy Catalogs!
Like the more frequently appearing "Selected Straight Grains," the SPECIAL STRAIGHT GRAINS were described in Comoy's literature as "magnificent specimens of straight grain" ...
Also found a Lord Renfrew ( I have one of these and it appears to be older, it's a blast of course, and a great blast it is! Looks similar to older Comoy blasts I've seen where you can tell just by looking that it's an oldie)

glMdcwG.jpg

As well as Everyman and Guildhall Giants too, probably more, I just went one page deep, Mr. Can was right there at the top!

:!:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The ad I found, without viewable pictures referenced a shape number that ended in G. I've like to see that.

I'm still not sure what, if anything, were to be gained by adding the Giant stamp later, on an already super-rare combination.

I did pass this auction on to Neill. His comment was that he had not seen it, but wished he had.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Interesting reading mr.can's info on Special Straight Grains. The pipe in his listing is a 125, which by the 1960's catalog is listed as an Extraordinaire shape. As a cross reference, the pipe in the Roseberry thread, the 127, also an Extraordinaire shape, is a Special Straight Grain, without, however a three part C stem, or a COM marking. Not the first one I've seen like that.
http://pipepages.com/64com26s.htm
http://pipepages.com/64com27s.htm

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
misterlowercase, Thanks for doing a lot of legwork on our behalf. You may not be a Comoy's expert, but you are good at finding information.
ssjones, I am not sure exactly what was to be gained, either. They may just have retraced the old, weaker stampings. This is something they are known to do, as shown by misterlowercase's Regretsy thread: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/regretsy-pipes-edition#post-732340
Also, ssjones, I initially intended my comment as a way to cheer you up after your encounter with this "heartbreaker". I was and am sincere in my doubts about the pipe, but all this thread seems to have done is keep this pipe on your mind. Sorry for that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a very interesting discussion. The seller has been a source for some controversy regarding the doctoring of pictures provided at auction as well as combative language in the listings that has been largely removed.
photoshopped images
Looking at the images of the "GIANT" stamp provided by MLC, the lettering looks consistent between the Mr. Can listing and the one under discussion.
Older pipes sometimes exhibit anomalies and it's quite possible that the stamp got added later at the factory because an inspector caught that a worker had neglected to add it at the proper point in the process. Barling stamps are often a mess.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm over the heartbreak but it's fun to discuss the details. At least now I have some additional information should an other Giant appear. I send the ebay auction to my buddy "Ralph from New Jersey". His email reply back has "No F.... Way" in the subject line!

If that pipe had been offered at that price, by a seller with a better reputation, I would have swallowed hard and bit. (and then would have had to move at least five pipes...)

So, the pipes in my cabinet all breathed a sigh of relief on the stay.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Well it's always nice to be a member of an exclusive club but the "Burned by Shiny Pipes Club" has a rather large and diverse membership of which I am one. Never again!!!

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
There is on pipedia a Comoy second, Exmoor which also has a crappy stamping of 'Giant' on it.

Owen

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Not worth it IMO. I would never trust shiny pipes and would never buy from them, ever. Someone once told me that to be patient on ebay as another one will eventually show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.