Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Heard an Interesting Stat at the Pipe Club Meeting but I Don't Know If I Believe

(64 posts)
  1. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So tonight at the Seattle Pipe Club, we had the International Pipe Smokers day meeting. When I get there, there are like 8-10 people there. I sit down and fire up my Boswell with Berry Cobbler. Immediately they all start giving me the business about smoking that s%#t and it not being real tobacco. It was all done in jest and not serious. So I tried some Mississippi River and it was sort of OK, didnt really love it. Then, someone said that about 70-80% of pipe smokers smoke Aros. I couldn't believe it and in fact, stood a little taller from the beat down. Is this true?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. quincy

quincy

Login to Send PM

I've heard the same thing. It would be interesting to see out of those how many smoke strictly OTC...

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't classify myself as an aromatic smoker, but I do smoke aromatics, which is something that's probably true for nearly every pipe smoker. I think a blanket label such as "aromatic smoker" is too misleading, I'd like to see some other stats to go with that...average age of aromatic smoker and how long they've been smoking a pipe, how often they smoke something other than aromatics, if at all, and what their label of aromatic really is....My definition of an "aromatic" is a tobacco that's flavored with something other than tobacco to change or enhance the aroma in the tin/pouch and room note/flavor. MacBaren's Navy Flake is an aromatic under that definition, though I don't think most others would think of it as such.

The only aromatics I actually have anything against are the goopy, messy shitstains that are sold in bulk by so many tobacconists and are supplied by Lane, among others, that smoke wet, hot, bite the shit out of you if you're not veeerrrryyy careful, and forever leave a nasty stink in your pipe. Granted, some are better (or worse) than others, but these tobaccos do more to run young men away from the pipe than an entire brigade of Anti-Smoking Nazis.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I would not be surprised that 70%-80% of pipe smokers smoke aromatics. Mike does, I do, most of my friends do, and if truth be known, I think most pipe smokers do as well.

The key to that, though, is how many aromatics and how often?

In my case, I have one aromatic, one crossover, one English, one Oriental and a few virginia blends in the rotation, along with an occasional oddball (the soup du jour right now is a burley flake).

So ya, I smoke aromatics, maybe a bowl once or twice a week.

I'd wager most aromatic smokers in that 70%-80% are closer to my level -- they smoke an aromatic pipe tobacco on an occasional basis.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

I think that "blanket statement" could be true when considered in the following context....
    Latakia IS an aromatic.

However; I smoke primarily Aromatics; that's not to say that I don't enjoy English and Balkan blends as well.
    It all depends on the War Department. If she's not home, or if she doesn't seem to be in the mood to hurl heavy objects.

Vivant et Grousemoor!

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It all depends on the War Department. If she's not home, or if she doesn't seem to be in the mood to hurl heavy objects.
    HHH AAA AA HHHHAAA HHH AAA I am seriously cracking up right now reading that.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I smoke aromatics occasionally, but wouldn't call my self an aromatic smoker. I greatly prefer English, Balkan, Virginia, and Virginia Perique blends.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke them very rarely.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I consider the blends that sound really interesting that I want to try, at least half are aromatic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke aromatics. I do feel like I am a minority though. I just prefer the natural taste of things, and don't like extra chemicals added to products I ingest/inhale. Guess I'm somewhat of a naturalist. I have tried some and didn't mind them too much.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been enjoying some aromatics myself lately. I didn't think I was an aro guy since the first few tins sent me leaning toward VaPer and English blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Login to Send PM

I'd say that's probably accurate. If nothing else, my recollection is that 1-Q and Capt. Black make up something like 70 to 80 percent of US pipe tobacco sales. Most pipe smokers I've known smoke aros.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. jiminks

jiminks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I occasionally smoke an aromatic. I smoke a lot and need a continual change of pace, even though I favor Virginias and VaPers. Now that I'm thinking about it, I have 4 unopened SWRA tins from 2007. I keep meaning to open one, but I have so much other stuff open now, I don't see that happening for months. A tin of that will normally take me many months to a year to finish.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm remembering that when I started to smoke pipes over forty years ago (before switching to cigars) brands like sail, captain black etc were all the local candy/drug stores had and that is all I was aware of

Now with local tobacconists being shoved out of business to have guided the way to newbie smokers...

If one is counting aro pipe smokers preferences that way the numbers could be skewed

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The key to that, though, is how many aromatics and how often?

Like Roth said, it's all about frequency.

If they meant 70-80% of pipe smokers are strictly aro smokers, I wouldn't believe that.

But, as many have stated here, the typical smoker has at least one or two aro's that they will keep around or visit every now and then. I have been getting into virginia blends and smoke those most of the time, but I decided to have some Trout Stream this morning. If that's the definition of "smoking aro's" then I bet it's closer to 90%.

Anyway, you should never be ashamed of what your smoking! They may have been making fun in jest, but I don't see any reason to put any tobacco down. (Especially Boswells, of which I have heard nothing but positive things) If it works for you, then that's allllll that matters.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I keep sampling aromatics, searching (in vain) for something that I actually like.
    To that extent, I fall into the 70% group, but as yet I certainly don't prefer any of them.

Of course, as mikephillips suggests, many blends we consider natural really aren't.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I'd guess we would all have to agree on a definition of "aromatic".

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a huge fan of aromatics here.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

86.39% of all stats are made up. What a ridiculous statement and where could you ever get such information. That would mean someone who had ever smoked an English and an Aro would be out of that group. I have found that a pipe smoker will try everything, probably settle on a few and most of them are a mix of both. Oh Please!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If nothing else, my recollection is that 1-Q and Capt. Black make up something like 70 to 80 percent of US pipe tobacco sales.

Makes sense... But if this forum is any indication, my guess is that the percentage of aro smokers is on the decline. I still enjoy aros, but there's a big difference between OTC blends and higher quality blends that use natural flavorings, etc.

For those of who who are still seeking a good aro, try Pipeworks & Wilke blends (and for an inexpensive aro that's still quite nice, give Newminster blends a try).

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, what made me take notice is that virtually everyone at the Pipe club was smoking "non aros" so that commented surprised me. I would have thought I had an I love Jerry Sandusky tee shirt on. I've always been a bit on the outside of my social groups anyway. When I was in HS, the vast majority of my sports teams would spend their time either playing the sport or smoking dope - I never did once. In College, everyone was studying or partying, but I didnt drink in college at all. So I like what I like and what you like doesn't affect me at all - but it is curious to me though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. seanlamb63

seanlamb63

Login to Send PM

I could believe these statistics, especially in this day and age. As far as I am concerned, I am all over the place, I love Aros and English blends and it all depends on my mood, and I'm sure a lot of folks fall into a similar category. Now, I do find myself smoking aros a tad bit more and purely due to the fact that I do smoke my pipe in the company of many non-smokers--the aros seem to be less offensive to the untrained nose of the non-smoker. Most of the time I keep in mind something a wise Russian fellow told me, "A pipe smoker is one that smokes his pipe with others in mind." Just my two cents.

Sean Lamb
    "You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within. Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger" (J.R.R.T)

Sean Lamb

"You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within. Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger" (J.R.R.T)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. swhipple

swhipple

Login to Send PM

I've sort of get the same "vibe" from these forums that you got at the meeting. The attitude seems to be if you smoke aromatics you are seen as an beginner or a bit of a light weight. "Real" pipe smokers only smoke strong blends that have been aged at least 10 years under G.L Pease's pillow.

I think it's an internet thing. A few experts on a forum like this express a preference for a certain type or style of something and that quickly becomes a "truth" that everyone knows. The non-experts online then take up the cause and jump on folks who express an opinion that runs against the "truth" without even knowing why. The real truth is the world is made up lots of folks like my Dad and Uncle, who strictly smoke OTC aromatics and have never been within a 100 keystokes of a pipe smoking forum.

Personally, I enjoy a little something from all types of blends. I tend switch pack and forth between English and aromatics with some weeks being heavy on the Aros and other tilting toward English.

I'd guess the stat that 70% - 80% of pipe smokers prefer aromatics probably comes directly from tobacco sales figures and is probably pretty accurate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Real" pipe smokers only smoke strong blends that have been aged at least 10 years under G.L Pease's pillow.

lol!

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. quincy

quincy

Login to Send PM

I like to smoke. I love tobacco. I appreciate it all. Aromatics can be really nice and my wife lets me smoke them in the house which is a sign of the miracle power Aromatics have. However, I like everything under the sun as long as its good! Why limit yourself based on the perceptions of others? Some aromatics are a delight to smoke and some are awful. It's true with just about everything in life. I just try to keep an open mind, pack my pipe, and give something a try. The only tobaccos I've really walked away from are some OTCs. They just aren't as good. I keep em in the car and they do in a pinch though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. leonardw

LeonardW

Brand Manager, Lane Limited

Login to Send PM

The stat, if anything, is low. It is probably closer to 80-90% aromatics. By aromatic I'm thinking of anything with a truly noticable top flavor. This is true not just here in the U.S., but around the globe. Safe to say that we forum folks are just one subset of the total pipe smoker universe. Like many, if not most, pipe smokers, I started with aromatics and smoked them almost exclusively for nearly 20 years (primarily CB and Lane 1Q). Ironically, now that I represent a portfolio that primarily consists of aromatics, I rarely smoke them. For the last year or so I have gravitated to what I think of as English blends (Latakia heavy) or Va-Pers. Again, I suspect this journey and transition is not uncommon, particularly for us forum folks. If I hadn't been 'forced' (woe is me) to sample just about every pipe tobacco on the planet over the past two years, I wonder if I ever would have shifted away from my pound-a-month purchase of Lane 1Q.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

zo - any pipe club or similar group (such as attendees at pipe shows) is by self-selection more enthusiatic than average. They are also more prone to exploring new blends and maybe pipes, and such exploration would cause a progression in one's tastes. Most peeps, including pipers, stay squarely in their comfort zones for most things, so the Captain/Prince/etc puffers, puff away on their standard while they devote their attentions to other things. By the same token, I would think the number of Medicos and Dr.G's being bought and puffer outnumber the brands you see and hear about on forums and at shows and pipe club meetings.

In the same way, if you watched TV cooking shows, you might get the impression that most meals consist of fancy and intricate Italian and French dishes. Yet the public scarfs down more hamburgers and hot dogs than all of those other cuisines combined.

Believe what you see, but as Donald Rumfeld said, there's also the known unknown and the unknown unknown.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke one blend that I consider an aromatic and that is Peterson University Flake. So am I to be counted as an aromatic smoker, I guess so. I think that people should always smoke what they find pleasurable and never listen to anyone who would put down their choice of tobacco. If aromatics are your thing, it does not make you less of a pipe smoker, that is ridiculous thinking. I believe there is a bias at least on line towards aromatics like they are somehow less than. I don't care if OTC's are your thing, as long as you enjoy them you are a pipe smoker.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Real" pipe smokers only smoke strong blends that have been aged at least 10 years under G.L Pease's pillow.

Or in Kevin's Shoe Room!

At my pipe club last night, I was the only aro smoker. I wrote somewhere else that I am an aro-only guy, though I like the codger burleys. I tried a couple of their high-end blends, but there's just no magic there for me. They all tasted the same - ashes and old socks.

I say lestrout above has his finger right on the answer:

By the same token, I would think the number of Medicos and Dr.G's being bought and puffer outnumber the brands you see and hear about on forums and at shows and pipe club meetings.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. lyle

lyle

Login to Send PM

lestrout has it right. Every other pipe smoker I've run into offline (admittedly, not a huge number) has been smoking an aromatic, usually a vanilla blend. These are all guys who probably do not collect pipes, go to pipe shows, attend pipe club meetings, or post in online forums.

We're all pipe smokers, but we're not all hobbyists.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. wcannoy

Walt Cannoy

Login to Send PM

Dr. Grabow produces 200,000 pipes each and every year. The guys buying those, they are your 70% to 80%. It's true, most pipesmokers are not pipe afficianados. Most pipe smokers are not pipe collectors. Most pipe smokers know no other tobacco than what is on the shelf at Walgreens.

You can be sure that the 70-80% does not include the folks here on this forum. Of all the pipe smokers in all the world, we are truly a minority.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

there are a few aromatic blends that I actually do enjoy. Smoke them when I am in public. To smell nice for the masses. 2 out of 100 smokes will be aromatic for me.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. mattia76

mattia76

Login to Send PM

Maybe it's that 70% of tobacco sold or produced is "aromatic" tobacco.

Pulvers said on the Radio Show a couple of weeks ago that they called 1Q something like "borrowed gold" (I think that was it) because they sold so much of the stuff.
    I think it tastes like trash, no matter how good it smells. And I instantly know when I get an estate pipe where that was the favorite. BILGE!

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I'd guess we would all have to agree on a definition of "aromatic".

+1

I think that "blanket statement" could be true when considered in the following context....
    Latakia IS an aromatic.

I smoke one blend that I consider an aromatic and that is Peterson University Flake.

I definitely would not consider University Flake to be an aromatic...but then I don’t normally think of Latakia blends as aromatic either, although technically they are. (I guess...again, depending on definition.)

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I meet a fellow piper on the road and they stary telling me their perfect blend "50% earl gray plus 30 %...." my eyes do roll to the back of my head. I do remain polite,, but I probably stopped listening.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do believe that most pipe smokers smoke aromatics, just like most wine drinkers drink inexpensive sweet wines (like Franzia or "two buck Chuck"). They're inexpensive and readily available.

Now imagine you see a notice for a "wine club" and you show up with your box of Franzia. The type of people who care enough about wine to start a wine club would probably give you the same sort of ribbing that you received when showing up at a pipe club meeting with your Cherry Cobbler. In fact, the average wine aficionado probably wouldn't be doing it "in jest".

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm eclectic! I enjoy Virginia/VaPer/VaBur flakes the most but I like variety. I think most of us are pipe smokers because we like variety.
    PS: My wife has informed me that a pair of my old sneakers are aromatic.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PS: My wife has informed me that a pair of my old sneakers are aromatic.

There goes the myth that aromatics have a good room note.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The attitude seems to be if you smoke aromatics you are seen as an beginner or a bit of a light weight.
    I think he's on to something here.

but then I don’t normally think of Latakia blends as aromatic either
    I think our own Lawrence does though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So just what is real tobacoo?

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is always room for more aromatics . The thing is when I get a new one and like it the second tin never tastes as good . There will always be explorers and shut-ins .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every time I get a box of Gawith Hoggarth "Dark Flake Aromatic" I chuckle and wonder why the U.S. sites call it "Scented". Do they not want it associated with "Chocolate Creme Brulee" or some other (what the we in the states consider) aromatic?
    Again, we need to figure out what an aromatic is before we're all on the same page.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So we recently had a guy from MacBaren at our club and he said that 90% of tobacco sold in the US is aromatic.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If most people say, "Hey your pipe smells good" then it's an aromatic. If it smells like a dessert it's an aromatic. If it tastes like shit it's an aromatic. If I enjoy the flavor and no one likes the smell then it's not an aromatic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

I can believe the stat, because its based more upon reality of the market, than some of the slightly delusional smokers out there.
    I don't smoke this or that for some reasons, but in reality when they explain what they are smoking and the features of the tobacco, they tend to smoke exactly what they claim not to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it tastes like shit it's an aromatic.
    I dont get this. It may to you, but it doesnt to a lot of people like me. I have tried HH Mature Virginia and didnt care for it. Tonight I tried Navy Flake. Didnt care for it. Last night I tried Mississipi River, didnt care for. They didnt seem to have tatest to me other than bland smokey flavor. My aros on the other hand taste good to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. captainbob

captainbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The late Craig Tarler of C&D once told me that 70% of all the tobacco they manufacture and sell is, in fact, aromatic blends! Keep in mind that "aromatic" is a "degree" of flavoring. All pipe tobacco is treated (cased and/or topped) with flavor to make it palatable. None of us are smoking "raw" tobacco blends or we would not need any Forum! However, his comment was, in fact, referring to what C&D labled as "aromatic tobacco" blends.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. mog69

mog69

Login to Send PM

I smoke awful cherry / vanilla tobacco when the wife is nearby as the room note is tolerable, but the good tobacco's have to be smoked else where as the room note is awful (her words).

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]I dont get this. It may to you, but it doesnt to a lot of people like me. I have tried HH Mature Virginia and didnt care for it. Tonight I tried Navy Flake. Didnt care for it. Last night I tried Mississipi River, didnt care for. They didnt seem to have tatest to me other than bland smokey flavor. My aros on the other hand taste good to me.

There is a reason for emoticons. I used it to razz you like your pipe club buddies did.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

zonomo, if you haven't tried SPC Plum Pudding, try it. It's better than Mississippi River.

It's a strange stat, because I've found that aromatics aren't always easier on the palette, for all their effort to do so.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. quincy

quincy

Login to Send PM

Haha, my son (he's 6) yelled at me for smoking Presbyterian Mix because it didn't smell as good as the aromatics which are the only things I'm usually allowed to smoke indoors. I cheated cause the wife wasn't home and I couldn't resist it. However, tomorrow... Tomorrow I get to try BLACK HOUSE! Very excited.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't concern myself with what others think. If they want to put you down, even jokingly for enjoying an aromatic then that's their problem. Smoke the tobacco's you enjoy. Boswell's makes excellent tobacco and you should never be ashamed of what you're smoking; whether it be Carter Hall, 1Q, Dunhill Nightcap etc. Smoke what you like and just enjoy the pipe, the tobacco and the moment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. glpease

glpease

Lord Latakia

Login to Send PM

I don't think the statistic as presented has much meaning, nor would it be easy to determine its accuracy in any real way. However, aromatic tobaccos, in general, outsell non-aromatics by a huge margin. Somewhere around 85% to 90% of tobacco produced and consumed in the US would be considered aromatic in the common perception of the word. Captain Black was, for many years, I don't know if it still is, the #1 selling tobacco in the world.

It's hard to model the figures into something meaningful. Aromatic smokers tend to consume more tobacco than non-aromatic smokers, which skews the analysis. My gut feeling is that if you include US pipesters who smoke both aromatic and non-aromatic tobaccos, the figure is probably closer to 90%, if not higher. Smokers of only aromatics would be somewhat lower.

In any case, exclusively non-aromatic smokers are in the minority. Les nailed it regarding self-selection in group dynamics. Enthusiasts, which would make up the majority of pipe club members (and forum members, for that matter) do not represent the population at large. Though it may seem strange to us, the majority of pipe smokers are just that. Even the readership of Pipes Magazine and its forum members, the largest population of its kind, represents only a single digit percentage of the overall pipe smoking community. We're just a bunch of weirdos.

Read my columns in Pipes Magazine: Out of the Ashes & Ask G.L. Pease
    Posted 1 year ago #
  54. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg is totally correct in that we as a group are totally in the minority in comparison to the guys who smoke their Grabows and OTC's. It is the same thing in cigars, mass marketed machine made cigars out sell premium cigars by the millions.

My neighbor 3 houses down is the perfect example. He is over 70, has been smoking over 50 years. Buys 2 Grabows a year and smokes Captain Black Gold only. I gave him three blends that I enjoy and he did not like them at all. Guys like this represent the vast majority of pipe smokers. We are as Greg said the real "weirdos".

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We're just a bunch of weirdos.

LOL...Thank you Mr. Pease for that confirmation of my perceptions.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg's observation "We are as Greg said the real "weirdos". " ---- not that there's anything wrong with that.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. badbriar

badbriar

Login to Send PM

Most of my friends are not aro smokers, but rather, like English, Balkans, Virginias, Burleys, VApers and other like blends. A few are aromatic smokers - not many. I agree with Mike that aros usually bite the crap out of many of us and don't taste anything like they smell. Must admit - I do like being in the room when someone lights up a nice aromatic blend - room note is usually amazing. Too bad the taste is not the same.
    bb.

It takes me all night to do what I used to do all night, but I'm still doing it!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  58. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"VApers" - whats this mean? Sorry no flaming please. I honestly do not know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Virginia and Perique.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

VaPer is a blend with Virginia and Perique where, normally, the Perique is forward in the flavor profile.
    (I say "forward" because some Virginia blends rely on a small amount of Perique to mitigate the Va's sharpness, and those I wouldn't call a true VaPer.)

That "we" are the pipe smoking exceptions, and cob-suckin' OTC aromatic smokers are the rule suggests an
    analogy with cheese enthusiasts. My guess is most of the U.S. eats processed cheese, not artisan cheese.

...and it's Lipton tea over Lapsang Souchong, etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

God Bless the Aro smoker for they give us all a good reputation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

God Bless the Aro smoker for they give us all a good reputation.
    Amen.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I dont get this. It may to you, but it doesnt to a lot of people like me. I have tried HH Mature Virginia and didnt care for it. Tonight I tried Navy Flake. Didnt care for it. Last night I tried Mississipi River, didnt care for. They didnt seem to have tatest to me other than bland smokey flavor. My aros on the other hand taste good to me.

Everyone should smoke what they like and like what they smoke.

That said, and not to beat a dead horse... to hell with it, I will beat this horse again anyway.

The hardest thing to learn in pipe smoking is patience.

To me, an "aromatic" is an American Aromatic, I'm not lumping, say, Lakelands or English blends as aromatics, even though I'm not going to disagree one can make the argument to do so.

Not a lot of us smoked our first bowl of a full English and liked it; many of us who lit up a sample bowl of a virginia blend as a n00b swore that VA had it's own set of teeth, it bit so bad; to say Lakelands are an acquired taste is an understatement, and so on.

Are non-aromatics any good? Of course they are -- they just, more often than not, take most of us longer -- and a great deal of patience -- to "get" and actually enjoy them. Like yours truly, I think most who have the patience and stick with it are rewarded handsomely, thus we have many non-aromatics in the rotation.

Aromatics are easy to like -- aros are much more of an "instant gratification" thing - properly prepped and packed, most premium aromatics are mild and have a yummy room note from the get-go.

I think that's why aromatics are so much more popular -- good aros don't take much heavy lifting, they are easy to "get" (hell, the smell after the true light hits the puffer over the head with the message).

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I light up at work (on the way out to smoke outside-can't smoke inside= NYC law) my staff 'loved' the smell of the aros.

Now that I'm smoking Va's and Va/pers and English lats, well, let's just say their noses go up, and they are not afraid to tell me "I don't like that smell-I like the other one"

What can I say? I certainly can understand their feelings. After all, aros like Capt Black etc have a great room note and they usually are crowd pleasers except to the anti-tobacco folks.

Just as Roth said, patience and study is the key. How many of us loved the first beer we had? The first strong whiskey? I'm not a wine drinker but I watch my wife and other friends study wines and taste them and discuss the vintage, the this and the that of the wine. That doesn't happen with the first glass.

Aros are great and for those who smoke them, God bless you.

I would think the last thing this forum should do is to make any member feel that what they smoke is 'inferior'.
    I certainly don't get that as a general trend here. What I hear is different folks voicing their opinions on what they like and suggest others to try.

Allan

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dottiewarden, jfox520, dochudson, tombraider, drhuff, mhau, yazamitaz, tlag77, carytobacco, bluesmoke, trailboss, evo03, rangerearthpig, bookn3rd5, numbersix, purplemotoman, ghost, zekest, doughboi, mso489, cosmicfolklore, klause, drennan