Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Healthy Lifestyles?

(55 posts)
  1. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I've been thinking a lot recently about the overall lifestyles of tobacco users. While I know we (in general) believe pipe smoking isn't really detrimental to one's health, I'm curious if others care to chime in on whether this is one of several 'vices', or whether they live an overall healthy lifestyle. I'm happy to go first.

Pros: I eat very healthily, exercise 5 times or more each week, and don't take any prescription medications. I've never done drugs or smoked a cigarette.

Cons: I chew tobacco on occasion (blame years of baseball and a childhood in rural Tennessee), and drink a hair more than moderately.

Overall, I would say I live a generally healthy lifestyle, but I'm certainly not going to forego life's little pleasures (pipe smoking chief among them) in the interest of adding a couple years onto the end of my life. I would expect that cigarette smokers would have different answers than pipe smokers, largely because cigarette smoking would indicate a greater willingness to accept the risks associated with certain habits.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Me: where is that train wreck meme?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also me: live life to the fullest....one day at a time. Life is transient.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke cigarettes, pipes, and enjoy a chaw no and then when in no smoking situations. I live my life as I see fit and don't do labels, healthy/not healthy, etc. Just take it one day at a time and enjoy. Oh, I'm a believer in genetics being the most important factor in length and quality of life.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I use every form of tobacco, eat the highest calorie foods I can find to keep up with my metabolic blast furnace, and my LDL is 10mg with 0% body fat. Had an aunt that abhorred tobacco, never drank, did regular doctor visits, and died in her late thirties from lung cancer.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I eat a very healthy diet and drink very little. Recently even gave up sweet tea and almost all sugar. Other than smoking 6 to 8 bowls of pipe tobacco per day, I'm a blueprint for health.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live my life as I see fit and don't do labels
    If pipe smoking is going to kill me it better wait in line. Long list of shit will get me before that. I bought the ticket,time for the ride...

"the weez"...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

metabolic blast furnace

If I ever start a metal band, that's what I'm naming it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

If I ever start a metal band, that's what I'm naming it.

HAHAHA one of my musician friends is always saying this. The best candidate ever is, "Mercy Flush"

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Workout 5 days a week on mountain bike. Only smoke a pipe and eat Keto. I drink an occasional beer but no longer drink spirits. Still keep up with the young pups.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't moderate. I go between the excess of smoking too much and drinking too much - to cutting it out altogether for about 3 months and excercising regularly. I have quit the bad habit of diet soda that I had picked up though. That crap is addictive beyond belief.....

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

I'm glad this topic was raised. I was planning on posting something in the same vein. I've made a significant change in my life over a year ago. 99% of the time now, I no longer eat red meat,chicken,fish(mostly), and all dairy. "Plant-based" is the best way to describe it. If someone calls me a vegan, I deny it and say "flexitarian" as I will be flexible when I'm on a 5 day fishing trip with the boys. But my system lets me know it doesn't like it when I go back to my old habits. I actually feel better eating this way. The food tastes great otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it. And, lets face it, if my partner wasn't doing 90% of the cooking, I know I wouldn't be doing very well following this regime. With all the recent posts about Thanksgiving meals, I wondered if there were any other plant-based pipers out there...
    I should add that I tend to exercise regularly (help to run a non-profit gym), and drink scotch, wine and beer moderately.

"He was loosely dressed, but tightly wound". Louise Penny.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  13. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I eat lots of fatty foods and lead a sedentary lifestyle. Smoking a pipe, continuously, usually with coffee, is my only vice. Been like this for 54 years, and since I'm going on 71 yrs., it's not likely I'll reform any time soon.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like most of you, I try to do what I can. My pipe smoking is very limited, but I probably drink more than I could. I am chasing after a 4 year old and a 2 year old most of the time, so that keeps me active!

Everything in moderation and you'll be fine.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok I’ll play along.

At 47, I am not currently on any medication. I have never smoked cigarettes and have never done illegal drugs. I smoked moderately, probably 4-5 bowls a week and have a beer or three on weekends. I walk on the treadmill 2-3 times a week. I do struggle with my weight and would be considered overweight, it’s really the only thing I fight constantly.

Jason
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm half-dead even as we speak.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm half-dead even as we speak.
    Yes,but the "half alive" tells the rest to kiss your ass I would hope...

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The best advice for a healthy lifestyle is to avoid assholes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Yes,but the "half alive" tells the rest to kiss your ass I would hope... :D"

Often, actually!

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

Ash, you are a very wise man.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mau1, hard earned knowledge.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I've learned many lessons from the school of hard knocks myself.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll be 50 in 2 months.

I've always been a fat ass, even through 7 years in the infantry. I'm under 200 for the first time in a decade, so it could be worse.

Quitting cigs after 33 years was a great accomplishment. I keep myself in jobs that keep me moving to compensate for my lack of personal discipline to do it on my own.

I married a woman 15 years my senior whose goal is to reach the age of 120. She has positively affected my consumption habits. In reality, she'll likely reach 100 and I might make my 80's, so we're a good pair.

I no longer drink to black out status. Being exclusively on two wheels severely curtails alcohol consumption. I did try that high speed break dancing one time and it was not fun.

I did enjoy herbal self medication for a spell after the military. It actually helped me manage reentry into the civilian world, stress management and served as diversion therapy for my alcohol consumption.

Soon thereafter, I went into commercial driving so that stuff had to go. I also began collecting old rifles, an additional motivation to live the straight and narrow. Some things don't mix.

As the old saying goes, I've spent most of my money on drinking, smoking and women. The rest, I wasted!

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 4 months ago #
  24. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking a pipe, nasal snuff, my wife, and whisky are my vices. I walk daily, exercise sometimes,eat whatever I want but in moderation. I have not lived the healthiest of lives with field work in high risk areas, working with and around radioactive isotopes, exposure to alkenes when I was a grease monkey (toluene, etc), worked with venomous snakes and survived 2 bites, and was dumb enough to play football when I should have been protecting my noggin resulting in benign vertigo and other fun things such as peripheral neuropathy, etc etc. I like the live everyday as if it is your last mantra.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  25. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

I smoke 3-5 bowls a week. Drink moderately, no drugs, vegetarian diet. Summer my wife and I do a daily 15 kilometer bike ride. This winter switching from downhill to cross countryskiing due to knee replacement. I workout 3 times a week in a gym, half hour of cardio, then an hour of strength and flexibility work. I'm 68.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Dang, upnorth! I want to be like you when I grow up

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I died at the bottom of a lake when I was three years old. Anything after that is gravy.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m 75,cancer survivor of 20 yrs, heart bypass, stints, wounded in S Asia, blew out of a Control Room in BR La that shattered half of Baton Rouge’s homes windows, escaped a fire while 6 floors up and almost no escape, here I am, as Ash says avoid assholes, even though my wife says I’m an asshole.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Cajun, my wife reminds me all too often also. I guess that's why I try not to complain about other assholes too much.

Yes, the avoidance of assholes is very important to a healthy lifestyle and sadly I only figured out how important relatively late in life. I've also noticed that by avoiding them, you can be labeled as one. Oh well.

Tim
    Posted 4 months ago #
  31. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

the avoidance of assholes is very important to a healthy lifestyle

This became 1000% easier when I retired, and I loved my job. It's not usually the job, but the company one is forced to keep.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We seem to link together "living" with "staying alive." But, sometimes, really "living" contains the risk of death. If I had to chose, I would chose, "living" over "staying alive."

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  33. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

I drink 6 beers or 1/3 bottle of scotch or bourbon a night, smoke 2 cigars a day, smoke around 4-6 pipes a week, drink a pot of coffee a day, eat til my eyes fat shut, and take multiple swigs of grade A dark amber maple syrup a day because I am a straight baller. Rode hard and put away wet. Fast track to nowhere, son!

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

And... there is a permanent ass print on my couch because I only move when I have to go to work.

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reminds me of the joke..
    Doctor: I have the results of your test.
    Patient: is it serious? Will I live a long life?
    Doctor: first, let me ask you a couple of questions. Do you stay out late and cavort? Do you eat delicious high calorie foods? Do you sometimes drink to excess?
    Patient: Heavens no.
    Doctor: Then why do you care?

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I chose "living" over "staying alive" as well. I live in the present but plan for the future.

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

The best advice for a healthy lifestyle is to avoid assholes

That basically sums it up.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 4 months ago #
  38. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ash delivers 2 important maxims!

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One should always plan for the future and at the same time acknowledge that the future may not arrive. So, keep your plans flexible.

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure I even average a bowl a week. Maybe as an average but some weeks I don't smoke anything.

I have always struggled with my weight. The moment I don't exercise 5 times a week I start putting it on.

I'm scheduled for gastric sleeve surgery on Jan 11 next year. I'm converting my loft to a gym with a treadmill and weight machine. I should be finished installing the rubber flooring this week.

If that doesn't work I'm giving up and switching to an all cheesecake diet.

The actual problem is that I drive a desk for a living. Weight wasn't as much of an issue when I was younger and on my feet more often.

I've had several doctors tell me the occasional smoke, with it's relaxation, is healthier than keeping my stress levels elevated.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

I eat 95% raw food plant based diet, have been doing yoga for almost 30 years, and I rarely ingest pharmaceuticals, but I have a condition that is one day gonna' put me down despite my efforts. So until it does, I enjoy my whiskey and pipe smoking in moderation, and nurture my deep faith.

It's inevitable that we all get put down one way or another. Doesn't much matter to me if it's tomorrow or in 20 years. I just do what I do to make it as comfortable as possible.

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ditched 50 pounds this year. Not to be "healthy" but because I didn't like it. I live how I see fit. I am healthier than many, and less healthy than many. I don't judge my life by those standards, but by how I feel and if I am enjoying myself.

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This quote sums up my feelings on the subject quite nicely.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”
    Hunter S. Thompson

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  44. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's important to have good role models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxCUHjx7U7Y

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  45. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The existence of life, including my little spark of it, is a balancing act, and healthful is a matter of balance. I don't consider even my moderate pipe smoking -- a bowl or two a day, with days off -- as healthful in itself, but I hope the relaxation and sociability it engenders are good. I'm a carnivore, but I have a sense of balance in my habits. No athlete, I was a gym rat and later a runner, and then a yoga student, for years, but now a lot of my physical activity is assisting my wife as a caretaker. I say I'm a survivor of three universities and a war, which is so.

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just have the most issue with the word, "lifestyle." It just has a... a connotation to it, like people all researching diets together, or jogging,or shopping at expensive grocery stores for $12 jars of peanut butter, or guys wearing furry lederhosen and pissing in mailboxes. I get it, I get it, whatever way you live is a lifestyle. I just prefer to think of myself as "above" style, just doing what I want, when I want. My lifestyle would be more of a freestyle.

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Despite the abominable winter weather condition here,starting from my teens I'm still trying to remain in Military'shape, meaning I do long distance running 2-3 times per week,nontheless,I must confess,now being 50 + year old this is getting something boring,and no,I'm not doing no workouts in Gyms,yet I do enjoy good beer&wiskies weekly,responsibly and in moderation of course,when I was in active service(and younger) we did enjoy those adult beverages in somewhat larger quantities than today.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  48. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

So someone here doesn't approve of furry lederhosen?

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's what I was thinking. Difficult to process, isn't it?

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

And what's all this about pissing in mailboxes? Is that really a thing? I don't get out much I guess.

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty healthy these days. I walk twice a day for 20 mins a go and do it five days a week. I'm playing ice hockey about 3 times a week. Mostly drinking just water these days. I'm down about 30lbs from this time last year. 5'11" and currently tipping the scales around 195-200lbs (a lot of the weight is in my legs from all the ice hockey skating). For having a mundane office job I think I'm doing really well.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  52. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

“Champagne wishes and caviar dreams...”

Posted 4 months ago #
  53. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I've never seen 120. I could eat deep fried lard while binge watching Netflix and loose weight. I'll eventually prove spontaneous human combustion can happen.

Posted 4 months ago #
  54. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mr. Bukowski,

I have found Bacon. I shall let it do it's work...

Sincerely,

Mike.

Seriously. I am pretty fat. But my blood pressure is ok (just) and my cholesterol is fine. I drink very moderately and don't even smoke my pipes as often as I want to. I also agree that genetics is the #1 killer.

Posted 4 months ago #
  55. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a school of thought/body of research, which suggests that a person may have a particular genetic issue (toward whatever disease or ailment) but that doesn't mean it's inevitable that it will be triggered.

The idea is that the triggering of these things is determined to a large degree by the combined effect of toxicity and lack of vital nutrients. So minimizing toxicity and maximizing the nutrients may go a long way toward preventing or delaying your personal genetic problems.

We're all exposed to a lot of toxicity, much of which is difficult if not impossible to avoid, but our body is a miraculous machine, and can deal with a lot of toxicity, if you give it the nutrients it requires on a daily basis.

The nutrient aspect is a major problem in the modern diet due to processed foods and nutrient depleted produce...as well as cheap, synthetic supplements. But high quality organic supplements are of great benefit, IMO.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pappymac, mtwaller, npod, donjgiles