PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vienna1

Lurker
Feb 18, 2018
Recently, I picked up a corncob pipe and some aromatic pipe tobacco, hoping that this hobby would be enjoyable, yet relaxing. Sofar, my experience has been positive, however, I do miss the nicotine shocks that I got used to from smoking cigarettes every blue moon. Can pipe-smoking fill this gap, and if not, is there a healthier alternative for nicotine than to smoke cigarettes?
(To be taken seriously)

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Welcome. Aromatic blends have the least amount of nicotine. There are many high nic blends that have the kick you are looking for.

I also think pipes are more forgiving, inhaling cig smoke is really bad.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I enjoy the nicotine buzz. If I want something similar to a cigarette I will usually pack my smaller pipe (5-9 minute smoke) with a tobacco that isn't harsh. I inhale the smoke into my lungs. I like Virginia #1 for this purpose.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Five Brothers is a good alternative to cigs. You can even roll it if that's an option for you. Everytime I get that urge to bum one of my wife's cigs, I'll load a big cob with Five Brothers and after the half way point I have desire for a cig. I also use moist dip, in my case Stoker's Wintergreen and Grizzly Wintergreen.

vienna1

Lurker
Feb 18, 2018
brightleaf, ray47

Thank you for your responses, I will look into Virginia #1 and Five Brothers.
And here I thought pipe smokers would not understand what I am looking for.

vienna1

Lurker
Feb 18, 2018
seacaptian what an image.
gkr1 now I know, thank you.
mikethompson a quick response and recommendation, respect.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
vienna, welcome to the site. I would recommend getting a tin of Peterson Irish Flake. It has the nicotine you are looking for without having to inhale. You will need to read up on how to smoke flakes but in my opinion it is worth the effort.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Can pipe-smoking fill this gap,
It did for me but it took determination and time. I now only smoke cigarettes when I go to the pub which is about once every 2 weeks. I will be attempting to kick that habit in the summer when I can sit outside the pub in comfort. As others have suggested, try stronger blends and find blends you really really like. It helps.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Pipes and cigars are the way to go. After about two weeks of not inhaling, in most cases it will seem ludicrous when you do smoke a cigarette. If you must have a cig, the best route would be to get some organic roll roll your own and stick it in a cheap Grabow like my wife.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cornell & Diehl's Haunted Bookshop has nicotine and taste similar to cigarettes, but is a more pleasant smoke. I've converted a few smokers to the pipe with that one.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I probably should've written Virginia No. 1, instead of #1. It is a MacBaren tobacco that can be bought in bulk for affordability. I have not had it from the the tin. I have been meaning to try some Daughters & Ryan tobacco for the occasional inhale but have no experience with them.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Sea Captain now I see that sentence was poorly written. Bad on my part. OOOOOOPPPS! Now that sounds bad. I am hating myself now. Stupid me. Too late to edit. Gentlemen, this is why one should never write in haste.
Correction! One word changes it all.

the best route would be to get some organic roll roll your own and stick it in a cheap Grabow like my wife does.
She smokes cigarette tobacco in a Dr. Grabow. I think the stuff is nasty, although I myself smoked roll your owns for a few years before pipes and cigars. After two weeks I tried inhaling a roll your own(tobaccoo mind you, none of the green stuff the kids are going crazy for these days)and I choked and coughed. Hated it. A few weeks away from cigarettes and you will be sickened by them. It takes 27 days to break a habit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't feel bad. We all take opportunities to twist words. There was a discussion about soot on pipe rims, one guy said he licked rims, and hilarity ensued.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Correction! One word changes it all.

the best route would be to get some organic roll roll your own and stick it in a cheap Grabow like my wife does.
Well darn, I was impressed there for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.