PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Heading to Florida in a week and a half. Flying into Tampa and staying in Indian Rocks. Any suggestions for good B&M's that are worth my time? I'm only interested in pipes and pipe tobacco, not cigars.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
If you're in Tampa, go to Edward's Pipe Shop. It is a really nice B&M. They have a lot of Edward's blend tobaccos and Edward's pipes. They also carry other makers. Nice little coffee bar as well. I bought a couple of Edward's pipes last year when I was in town along with a few ounces of tobacco to try. Guy at the counter even had a buffing wheel behind the counter, and gave the pipes a quick once over. Nice place, good atmosphere.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I am not familiar with the Tampa area, but there are lots of tobacco shops in St Augustine. That is a fun town to spend time in. My wife and I love the Columbia restaurant.
Winton.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I understand the Kaywoodie/Medico/Yello-Bole workshop that makes their briar pipes is located in the Tampa

area, though I haven't heard that they have a tour or an outlet. Might be worth inquiring. For some reason,

the Brylon pipe manufacturing is done in New York State, somewhere north of NYC, I believe. 'Some wrinkle

in their company history. Some of these old "machine made" American pipes are actually pretty handsome,

well-engineered pipes, despite mixed results and mixed reviews over the years. You can still get a push-stem

pipe from Kaywoodie, the Saxon, and a push-bit Yello-Bole, the Checker with a removable stinger. I think they

have other push-bit briar lines too. The Kaywoodie screw-in Drinkless line isn't bad either, but the stems don't always

screw in so the bit is completely horizontal; they smoke fine, but it's an annoyance.
If you get as far south as Ft. Myers, there is the summer lab of Thomas Alva Edison, which I hear is worth a look,

if you tolerate history well.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Edward's also has another store in a town called Lakeland which is like 40 minutes from Tampa. I bought pipes from the Lakeland store. When I visited the Tampa store a bunch of guys were there smoking cigars that smelled nasty to me.
The Tampa store might have some Smitty pipes though. They are made by the guy who owns Edward's. Kevin even bought one in the past and talked about it in an article on the forum about Edward's.
I hope you enjoy your trip and hopefully the weather will be good without too much rain.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It is my understanding that the taxes on pipe tobacco are around 85% in Florida. I think the tax on cigars is zero, if I heard correctly, so you may find prices a bit higher than you're used too. Have a great trip.

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.