PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Sometimes I get a headache from smoking....all the way to the end of the bowl. Poor choice of tobacco? or puffing too hard. Anyone else have this problem?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Take two aspirins and call me in the morning.
Just kidding. It may be too much nicotine in your blend, or like you say too strong puffin. Sipping will get you there the same, but take longer and yield a more flavorful smoke. Minus the headache. Try clenching, and that'll slow down your cadence. Some folks call it breath smoking. Piping should be slowand relaxing. No pain involved. Maybe also make sure you're smoking on a full stomach, and don't forget tea, coffee or water with your smoke. I don't do alcohol when I smoke. If that don't help, then take two aspirin anyways for good measure.

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
Are you experiencing any jitters or rapid heart rate? And yes, I'm serious. Nic will do that to you also. Actually had someone call 911 for racing pulse, and when we showed up with the ambulance, turned out it was just too much nicotine.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
I used to experience both, light headedness and major headache. Slowing way down, or sipping as Kashmir suggested made all the difference. I used to take huge mouth filling draws every time just so I could see the monstrous cloud of white smoke come rolling out of my mouth, Gandalf style. I quickly learned slow and steady wins the race. :puffy:

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
My guess is too much or too little nicotine. What are you smoking, how much, and how often?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Can nicotine have a cumulative effect on you? I have been smoking a bowl or two for several days consecutively and blends that have never bothered me before are suddenly giving me issues. I get flushed and light headaches and an upset stomach and I always drink something while and on a full stomach (learned that tge hard way). Anyone experience that before?

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
The flushness for sure, so bad my ears felt like they may spontaneously combust! Though it was just me power bombing through my bowl.....?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm just curious why this is happening all of a sudden, I'm smoking more often during the week but still the same amount in any given day.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Philip, I find that if I take a few days off I sometimes end up with a headache on the first bowl back. The only solution I know of is to smoke everyday. Coffee does the same thing to me.
Next time someone asks me why I smoke, I just tell them that I find it good headache medicine.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Smoking a variety of OTC's. 1Q, Alsbo Gold, and Borkum riff. Only seem to get light headed when I am smoking near the bottom of the bowl. I'll try the suggestions made in other posts. THANKS!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Borkum Riff, well there's your problem lol jk.
I haven't heard of too many OTC blends or aromatics that have a higher nicotine content. I'd definitely try making sure you're hydrated and having a light snack before the smoke as well as trying to sip more on the bowl.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Can nicotine have a cumulative effect on you? I have been smoking a bowl or two for several days consecutively and blends that have never bothered me before are suddenly giving me issues. I get flushed and light headaches and an upset stomach and I always drink something while and on a full stomach (learned that tge hard way). Anyone experience that before?
Also not a doctor, but it's my understanding that nicotine is processed by the body rather quickly, and doesn't hang around very long, maybe a day or two. And that's just the traces. I'm pretty sure the active dose level falls after within an hour of ingestion. For it to have a cumulative effect, I think you'd have to smoke perpetually.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv, but now in total seriousness I will say this. Get your blood pressure checked along with blood sugar. I had the headache and dizziness and ignored it for a while. The results of inaction can be life altering.
+1
Nic + high blood pressure is akin to running with scissors. Contact your PCP.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Bottom of the bowl makes sense. The rest of the bowl provides a gentle filter for the rest of the smoke, and nicotine and other things can concentrate in there. If you are lightheaded at the bottom of the bowl, just stop. If you are afraid of wasting tobacco, then fill your pipe with less or try a smaller pipe.

gmpilcher

Lurker
Jul 7, 2013
Definitely the nicotine...however, as mentioned above, I'm not a medical doctor...but I do know a thing or two about the use, misuse, abuse and dependent properties of many scheduled licit and illicit substances.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
FWIW, when I first started (not that long ago really) I used to get headaches in the morning (like a mild smokers hangover). That has disappeared, so what you're going through may just be your body acclimating to the tobacco.
Lightheadness could be just the nic or it could be something more. If you're concerned, you might want to get a basic physical to see if anything is out of whack.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have become light headed from nicotine but I have never suffered a headache. I hate the light headed feeling, but I have a friend that like this feeling of course it you knew him you'd understand. If tobacco gave me a headache I would definitely see a doctor since I have not heard of headache caused by a sensitivity to nicotine.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I love smoking my pipes throughout the day. Except I really don't care for the effects of high doses of nicotine. My blend choices therefore are really very low nic blends. That way I can pipe 5 bowls a day with no ill effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.