PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I'm a relatively new smoker, still in the exciting phase of discovery.

I use www.tobaccoreviews.com as one of my sources, and so far it's been good to me.

So, in my latest batch, I ordered the higly regarded SG Squadron Leader. I hate to admit it, but I can't taste it. It's doing nothing for me.

Will it grown on me eventually? Am I spoiled by other tobaccos? Is my palate stupid?
PS. Some of the tobaccos I do taste and quite enjoy: EMP, Nightcap, MM 965, Wild Atlantic, Old Dublin.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
It's in the same range as EMP, so it's weird that you're not tasting it. I don't know if you're letting it dry out, but let it air out and dry pretty well.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Yes, it might be a tad on the wet side.

By the way, is a 50g. pouch.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I don't know if you're letting it dry out, but let it air out and dry pretty well
^This. Also smokes best for me in a narrow bowl, I find a wide bowl flattens the flavour YMMV

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most likely you won't like every single 4 star rated tobacco that your favorite reviewer gives 4 stars to.... (And some reviewers give 4 stars to best blends in categories they don't particularly like or smoke except to evaluate.)
Any reviewers care to chime in? ( I have not enough reviews to count)

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
By the way, is a 50g. pouch.- ignaciojn
I'm sure no expert, but I've never seen Gawith's Squadron Leader come in a pouch. Are you sure that's the name of the blend you are smoking and is it from Gawith?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two points. You don't have to like anything, and if you don't, no problems. There's plenty you like. Point two, don't throw it away. Jar it up and come back in a year or so. It may be a whole new day, because of aging or because of your changing tastes. This often happens. "Meh" tobaccos blossom into nuanced loveliness, about half the time, after washing out completely on the first smoke. But give it some time.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
IMG_20170204_204514.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'll be darned. That's a pouch of Gawith Squadron Leader all right. I think I'll pass on ever buying it in a pouch though after hearing that it has no taste. I think I'll stick with the tinned version. :wink:

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I'm from a small town north of Argentina. I have to get by. :(

I'm considering buying at 4noggings, but the shipping and customs rates are out of this world.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My taste buds change regularly quite a bit and sometimes I can't taste anything. I think it has something to do with my chronic sinusitis and inner ear issues. I would put what's in the pouch into a jar, and then try it again in a few days. Try different levels of moisture, different pipes, different times of the day, etc... One thing I've learned with pipe smoking is that things can and do change over time. It will come around for you at some point and you'll get that soft, buttery, and smokey flavor. Just remember to relax, slow down, and enjoy yourself.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I had the exact same issue with Squadron Leader about 3 or 4 days ago. It was the bottom end of quite an old tin, so I thought it had just lost some of it's magic. I had another bowl in the same pipe later that day, or was it the next :? and the magic was back.
I don't know if it was the time of day, the weather, or something I'd done. It's not an issue though. How many times have you eaten or drunk something and thought this doesn't taste as good as normal, because the mood, time, or even taste buds were misjudged.
As the others have said, try it again another time, dry it out a bit, and really take your time with it. Aim to have it almost going out at all times, and really just sip at it. It's very easy to lose the magic on this stuff by going a little too fast IMHO

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Isn't "north of Argentina" actually called either Bolivia or Paraguay?
Yes, my bad. English is not my native tongue. I'll let Wikipedia do the talking:

Jujuy (Spanish pronunciation: [xuˈxui]) is a province of Argentina, located in the extreme northwest of the country, at the borders with Chile and Bolivia.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Sorry for the double post, it won't let me edit.
Back on topic, I also got a pouch of McConnell Pure Latakia, and while it's quite enjoyable, it can be too much sometimes.

I'm thinking the PL might give the SL some much needed body. Is it a good idea, or I'll ruin both?
On a side note, I've noticed the PL is extremely dry, at the point of cracking. Is it always like that, or I got a bad batch?

Status
Not open for further replies.