PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
I ordered some granulated perique for a blend I am making that is mainly composed of Virginias and orientals. I want a very slight spice on the retro hale. What portion of perique should I use?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In the limited (and not too successful) blending experiments that I have conducted

I found that Perique starts to dominate at about 5% by weight in Virginia/Oriental mixes.

I was using McClelland blending Perique, McClelland 2010, and C&D Izmir. Your granulated

Perique (I'm guessing Pipes&Cigars.com?) will in all likelihood act very differently.
So much depends on the type and amount of the other leaf that you're just gonna have to experiment.
I know in the other thread you were looking for Virginia/Oriental blends; but have you considered

finding a VaPer blend that you like, and just tweaking it with some Oriental?

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
@cortez, any vaper blend with very minimal spice that uses mcclelland's 5100 as the base?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Start with small batches, an oz or even less. Season to taste, starting with 5% or less, increasing the proportions as you go. Or you could do small batches of 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25% and do your own taste test, back to back. Pax

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
any vaper blend with very minimal spice that uses mcclelland's 5100 as the base?
Nothing comes to mind immediately, except perhaps Lousiana Red -- though I very much doubt that Russ Ouellette uses 5100 in that blend.
I recommend NYPC's Bedloe's Island as a VaPer/Oriental that you could use as a base for tweaking experiments.

Russ Ouellette got his start in the business/craft by tweaking existing blends; so maybe that's a good way to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.