PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've always liked talking to folks who work in smoke shops.We have pipe smoking in common for starters.The conversation usually starts with pipes,tobacco,cigars,and expands from there.I've found lots of friendly conversation in smoke shops.So I was surprised when a fellow told me what happened when he visited a smoke shop some time ago that only sold cigars.He said that when he asked the owner why he didn't sell pipes and tobacco this was his answer.(Get ready to scratch your head) He said I don't like pipe smokers because they think too slow.I think of myself as thoughtful and analytical.I didn't know though that I think too slow..Maybe if this guy tried a pipe he wouldn't be so hyper.He might even learn to relax and enjoy life a bit more.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm trying to think of how to reply to that story ... but I'm going to need some time. :?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
OK ... now I've had time to process ...
That guy is about 2 flakes shy of a full ounce! :laughat:

Jan 8, 2013
That's just the kind of guy where you wish another B&M would open up right across the street from him. One that sells both cigars and pipes and tobacco :) with an owner that likes "people." Which shop do you think would last?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
"Well I don't like pompous windbags and yet, here I am. I shall take my leave and improve both our moods." :nana:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Obviously the proprietor wants people who come in and buy stuff without thinking about it. I can't say if I'm representative of all pipe smokers, (probably not) but I do take my time when shopping for pipes and tobacco. That's probably what drives them crazy. I always have questions they don't seem to want to answer or don't know the answers. Still looking for that perfect B&M.

Dec 24, 2012
I think there may be a grain of truth in what he says. Those who think "fast" rely on instinct and emotion and form quick judgments through the indolent means of jumping to conclusions by employing broad stereotypes. Those who think "slow" rely on deliberation and logic and form judgments based on effortful attention to the question under consideration. I personally don't mind being classified in the second group. Thank him for the compliment.

masonwarden

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2014
I think there may be a grain of truth in what he says. Those who think "fast" rely on instinct and emotion and form quick judgments through the indolent means of jumping to conclusions by employing broad stereotypes. Those who think "slow" rely on deliberation and logic and form judgments based on effortful attention to the question under consideration. I personally don't mind being classified in the second group. Thank him for the compliment.
Nicely put!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
We have a shop local who have some pipes, tins, and bulks but the owner is a jerk and doesn't like the smell of a pipe. We used to meet there for pipe club, but until they get new ownership I won't set foot in there again. The guy was down right rude to me. Not the best business model.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
In my humble opinion, B&Ms are to us as churches are to the religious. I relish my time in my local B&M, perusing the many fine racks of pipes and tobacco. If the owner one day, for some reason, decided to give me the same spiel he gave to you, I'd pick the nearest pipe off a rack, look him straight in the eye, and tell him I'd shove the briar so far up his ass he'd have to combine some Borkhum Riff with a pot of the strongest coffee imaginable to have a good enough bowel movement to expel it. And that's all I'm going to say about that :puffy:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There was a local 'Cigar Shop' near me in NYC owned by a couple of would be terrorists who complained that I owned a humidor but smoked my pipe in their place and didn't buy their cigars. A very dear friend of mine who was a Marine Corp Sniper, two tours suggested that their attitude needed adjustment!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This does make one wonder why people like this get into the business in the first place and how they expect to succeed by alienating a portion of their buying public.

As a case in point, we had a Tinder Box near me that was one of the few B&M's in the area. The owner was mostly a cigar guy and didn't put any effort into pipes or pipe tobacco. He was rude and even charged customers for the cups of coffee they had while buying in his store. In short, he was a dick. So a few years back a little place opened up a cigar store less than a mile away from this Tinder Box. It's called Cigars International. Then shortly thereafter another cigar place opened up a few miles further away-Famous Cigars.

This nitwit went out of business in less than a year. He had it all to himself for years and blew it. Not a tear from me.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
@pipenscotch HAHAHAHA

I agree, maybe its because pipe store owners always seem to be either

A: pompous duchebags

or B: Also own a bong shop, so all they care about is monney.

well C: they could be well rounded nice people, but lets just all hope they dont all think of us like that hahaha.
My local B&M is 50/50 mostly cigars, but lOTS of pipes and one shelf of tins and a shelf of house blends. the other half is ALL cigar, but most of the guys do both and are more than happy to talk about either so il count myself as lucky!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
To add to my earlier comments; the B&M I've been frequenting for 22 years is a wonderful place. The owner is a cigar an pipe guy and goes out of his way to cater to everyone who comes in his store. But after 30 years in this business he is ready to retire and wants to sell the store. The only calls he gets is from people looking to turn it into a lottery ticket selling bodega and have no knowledge about the tobacco trade.

I'd buy the place of I was younger and just run it to break even because it is a great place. It would be an expensive club house but I think I could break even. I just don't have the energy to do it. So I guess another small B&M will bite the dust and that's a real shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.