PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Heres the thing, I have a couple pipes that I think would smoke so much better if the airway was less restricted. I can't seem to find an industry standard on airway size. I have one pipe especially that I think would stop gurgling if the hole was a tad bigger and have found some supporting opinions on this theory but no hole sizes :|

What do our fellow pipe maker and restorers go to?

Btw, the couple pipes I am referring to have been cleaned vigorously and are free of any build up.
I DO NOT HAVE PICTURES SO DON"T EVEN GO THERE!!! :rofl:

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Start off small and slowly, then adjust up till it works best for you. Everybody is different. I use my cordless drill with the bits to scrape out the excess. Just have to be careful and not work too fast.....works for me. :puffy:

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I second the 5/32" opinion. I have personally met with nothing but pleasant smokes from pipes with that airway size and have also enlarged some and never regretted it.
I've never bothered with a drill (to err on the side of caution) and instead just held the bit with some pliers. Hah I feel a drill could get out of hand rather easily.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Arthur needs to respond too, as his pipes are legendary for being wide open smokers.

Amen to that! And interestingly, for as much of a data farmer as I am, I've never once measured or adjusted the draught hole on any of my pipes. Looks like I have something to do today....

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Cyndi, DO IT.

And back on topic, theres no such thing as an industry standard size, they're all different.

Some swear by wider airways, some swear by smaller.

There are a lot of pipemakers/repairmen that will open up an airway for you.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pipes2Smoke has an interesting illustration of the airway, with dimensions, citing Newcombe's recommendations.

I think Rick Newcombe is a chief advocate of opening up pipe airways, so just Google "Newcombe pipe opening up" and you should find several helpful URL's.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Thank you all! Will give it a go when I make it to the hardware store.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Awesome idea rome! I was thinking about trying out a handle like that to make a rusticating tool... now I have twice the justification to spend the money

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
There's another good title. "Justificated to Rusticate" or other variations lol Justificate to Rusticate lol

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Ive never been in a group that so many of us know the answer is 42! Makes me feel all at ease and stuff :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.