Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

Have you ever had a pipe blend that made you feel slightly ill?

(38 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by kimwilltravel
  • Latest reply from chasingembers
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimwilltravel

Login to Send PM

I am new to pipe tobacco. Admittedly, I just enjoy smoking. I don't know the ins and outs, the jargon... nothing. I just enjoy my glass of wine and pipe at the end of the day.

Before I had kids, I smoked only cigarettes. I quit when we decided to start a family. That was over 20 years ago.

Make no mistake, I enjoyed smoking and missed it but did not want to be a smoker while raising children.

So at just over 50, I felt like I was free to smoke again. I had one rule that I didn't used to have though. There couldn't be any leftover waste to hurt the planet. I knew I didn't want to smoke cigarettes, so I picked up a couple of cigars. They were okay but not really what I wanted. So I bought some loose tobacco and papers.

That worked okay for a while but not great. It still wasn't hitting the spot. So I started adding herbs from my garden, mint, cedar, roses, cinnamon, dried blueberries chopped up from the kitchen. Sometimes I would wrap it in bok choy or rose petals as the taste of the papers began to bother me. These homemade 'cigarettes' were hitting much closer to home for me though. I was quite happy for quite a while with that.

Still, I was having to deal with papers that have an off putting side taste when I didn't have any appropriately dried leaves for wrapping. I also didn't like getting any kind of my mix in my mouth, which is inevitable to some degree. Finally I realized a pipe was what I needed. Eureka!

Some time after that I realized, I was working really hard to make something that was probably quite a lot like a pipe tobacco. And so bought a pouch of green SAIL. It was okay. Next I tried a tin of Peterson's Gold Blend. It was REALLY good! It reminded me of my uncle when I was a kid. THAT was what I was looking for!!! I would even go as far as saying it was just about perfect.

So now I'm having fun trying all different kinds. Mr. B's Mark Twain is okay. Peterson's De Luxe Mixture is currently my second favourite (next to Gold).

But recenlty I tried Peterson's Sweet Killarney. I like it okay (probably 3rd favourite) but after about 3 puffs, I do not feel well... like I'm going to maybe... just maybe.... throw up.

It's weird because there was never any forecasting of this effect. The flavour is fine, the smell is nice. I find it very strange. Of course at this point I'll end up either trying to mix it with stuff from my garden to see if that reduces or eliminates that feeling... or end up giving it away. (I know I probably have just deeply offended some connoisseurs here - Sorry!)

Has anyone else ever reacted negatively to a pipe blend?

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums! Your physical displeasure with a blend will not offend anyone. These guys are tougher than your average pipe smoker. I would say it would be nicotine that is bothering you but your experience with cigarettes kinda disputes that.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've had a couple early on, that messed up my stomach (Brown #4 rope, Bullseye Flake). I suspect, now eight years down the road, I'd deal better with some of those blends.

Al

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Howdy & welcome! I've had a couple or three over the years; all fortunately were house blends so I just didn't smoke them again. It happens every now & again.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard and don't worry about offending anyone here. If a tobacco rubs you the wrong way, that's just the way it is. I've never had any ill effects other than after smoking 3 bowls of Gaslight in a row. Had to take a little nap. Lots of great tobaccos out there to try. You'll nail down a few favorites in short order I would imagine. Good luck!

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only thing that's ever affected my stomach was a high dose of nicotine. Now, tongue bite or mouth irritation comes from certain Burley blends.

Some folks get shredded by Red Virginias.

Body chemistry has a huge hand in tolerance issues.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D's Big & Burley and Old Joe Krantz did a number on me at first. After I learned to not smoke them on an empty stomach and to slow down my cadence I did fine.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

would say it would be nicotine that is bothering you but your experience with cigarettes kinda disputes that.
    It doesn't dispute it at all. He quit smoking 20 years ago, his tolerance for nicotine has changed.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Regardless, it could be a tobacco ingredient that does it. Or external factors as mentioned above- stomach level; stomach contents; tired; allergic to other things; mood; time of day; etc. Etc. Or maybe just the nic....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  10. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

Got a Gawith rope that didn't agree with me...I see it sitting in that jar, too afraid to open it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Greetings! I'm pretty sure it was because of high level of nicotine. Not a big deal you will use to it. I would say just jar that tobacco for a while and try it when you will have the mood, and maybe a third or half bowl of it at first.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You certainly took the long way round, welcome!

My suggestion would be put the blend aside and try it again in 6 months (on a full stomach). Plenty of other blends to try!

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are many factors that could cause a smoke to go wrong. I have "enjoyed" an upper respiratory problem for about two weeks. I long to taste tobacco, but don't dare yet.

A while ago, I lit up a familiar blend, and then the world started spinning. I have no idea why.

Sometimes your favorite blend tastes different. Sometimes you just have to have a cherry blend.

Life gets easier when you figure out what types of tobacco you like and don't like.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Winton I've had that nasty bug as well - seems to be doing the rounds.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

nunnster

Login to Send PM

I would first think it's good old vitamin N, I've had a few bowls that I've had to set down because they made me light headed and a little bit queasy. If that's the case put it away and try some lighter blends and work up a bit more tolerance. My next guess would be it may just be a blend that doesnt agree with you, atleast not at the moment. Move onto something else, and in a few months if you like the flavor of the blend then try it again and see how it makes you feel.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nicotine is often the offender, and it can be controlled. When you buy online, you can usually see the strength noted. You can smoke strong blends in small pipes or partial bowls, to try them out, and then smoke them in proportion to your susceptibility. Sip don't puff. Go with smaller bowls. Use a filter pipe. Another source of queasiness is flavoring. Strong cherry and other flavors can trip the gag reflex with some people, while others love them. One member reacted so badly to a particular blend that I had liked, he either did or felt like throwing up. He sent it to me, along with an unopened tin of Frog Morton Cellar and (I almost missed it in the box until he told me to go back and look!) a magnificent Ferndown bent billiard. I'm forever grateful. Anyway, respect strong blends; you can usually enjoy them -- unless you just plain don't like them at all.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

Almost all cased tobacco makes me ill, Kim(?). There is the flavoring, the PG, lot's of additives. Could be something in the blend, could be the nicotine.

https://www.wholeleaftobacco.com
    https://www.leafonly.com

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yep, Gawith Brown #4 rope is evil stuff. The first blend recommended to me at Boswells, because I told them I enjoyed Maduro cigars. That stuff will kick the ass of any cigar that I've ever smoked. Of course at the time, I had a giant Boswell pipe that was filled to the brim. I gave the remainder to Lestrout, who was thrilled.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Peterson's Perfect Plug made me ill, just the smell of it in the tin. Also maduro wrapped cigars. I like the taste of both, but something about them turns me green.

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hit the wall the first time with cigarettes when I was six and my buddy kept filching cigarette packs from his chain smoking dad. With a pipe, it was one night on the porch after a day with my wife at rehab for hip surgery. I had a big bowl and an hour and a freshly opened tin of Nightcap. Luckily all I had to do was go to bed and give Nightcap a little respect the next go-around.

Posted 2 months ago #
  21. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think any tobacco blend has made me feel ill. Too much nicotine is unpleasant and makes me want to sleep it off, but it's not a blend-specific thing.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  22. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to agree with Workman. Never had a blend that made me feel ill...a few high nicotine blends have made feel dizzy enough to make me want to just sit and relax.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. ryeguy

ryeguy

Login to Send PM

I've had pipes makes me feel uneasy, my throat would get tight and it felt like I had indigestion and heartburn.

I'm not sure what caused it. It seems to have had to do with moisture in the pipe (I had a couple of pipes for a while that didn't pass cleaners, and this was before I knew to dry the tobacco--they would gurgle like mad by the end; but I've occasionally had the same problem other times).

I suspect it has to do with the ph of the steam.

For a while I thought it had to do with the presence of Latakia or perique, but I doubt that as I now smoke va/pers with no problem. I still need to revisit Latakia.

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A nic overdose can have that effect.

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ &

freshly opened tin of Nightcap.

Yup, that'd definitely do it, all right.

Bill

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. eddiegrob

eddiegrob

Login to Send PM

The original Condor contains coumarin, to which I'm allergic, as I found out. I didn't like the blend and was made physically ill by smoking it. To the point that it provoked strong nausea and altered my palate to such a degree that I wasn't able to smoke anything at all for days on end. SG 1792 also kicked me for a loop but my experience with this blend is even sadder, for I loved 1792 but couldn't continue smoking it. Sad.

"Americans are the people who describe their use of alcohol and tobacco as vices" G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 2 months ago #
  27. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

NICOTINE IS SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO MANAGE.
    1. SMOKE A STRONG TOBACCO ON A FULL STOMACH.
    2. TRY CUTTING THE STRONG TOBACCO WITH A WEAKER TOBACCO 60/40 OR 80/20,OR WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU.IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING STRONG,LIKE CORNELL AND DIEHL #1 BURLEY FLAKE,TRY CUTTING IT WITH A GOOD QUALITY AROMATIC BLEND.IT WILL ACTUALLY IMPROVE THE AROMATIC,ADDING BODY AND FLAVOR.I TRIED THIS JUST FOR FUN WITH SOME BARELY TOUCHED DAVIDOFF ARO VIRGINIA,AND IT WORKED OUT VERY WELL.
    I FIND THE STRONG,FLAVOR FORWARD TOBACCOS TO BE WORTH THE LEARNING CURVE.

Posted 2 months ago #
  28. crazyhog

crazyhog

Login to Send PM

Sip don't puff. Go with smaller bowls. Use a filter pipe.

This!

"I yam what I yam."
    Posted 2 months ago #
  29. ugh457

ugh457

Login to Send PM

I had an ill feeling my first few bowls of Haunted Bookshop, however, that was in a new Peterson pipe.

I tried the same tobacco in a different pipe, still got a nauseous feeling, markedly less though. Perhaps in my case the bowl coating added to my feeling of ill.

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. crazyhog

crazyhog

Login to Send PM

Perhaps in my case the bowl coating added to my feeling of ill.

If you mean, pre-carbonated, that shouldn't be. It's non toxic and only helps with the absorption and break in.

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I agree with you ugh457, Haunted Bookshop hit me the same way. I have had nic hits but this is different. I know this will get me thrown out of certain groups but I'll say right now...I just don't get along with Haunted Bookshop at all. Must be my body chemistry.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 2 months ago #
  32. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It has often been posted, but good hydration (water and other beverages) helps reduce a nicotine reaction, as does a substantial meal. Stronger tobaccos may go down better after a meal, with a beverage, and late in the day when you plan to sleep.

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

holstein

Login to Send PM

Early morning Pipe made me ill.

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherbob

Login to Send PM

sounds like nicotine overdose. Which actually can happen with pipes easier then people think. It's not the amount of nicotine but the amount entering your system quickly. And with pipes a lot of things can cause that effect. How hot, how fast you're puffing, etc.... Oh and here is another one. If I smoke my pipe before eating something I will puke and get dizzy.

Posted 5 days ago #
  35. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

It looks like the OP has left the building.

Posted 5 days ago #
  36. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

Elvis, come back!

Posted 5 days ago #
  37. boston

boston

Login to Send PM

1792 almost knocked me down the first time I tried it. Not a happy experience. Slightly ill would have been preferable to how I felt. Since that time it's become one of my top 5. Pretty potent, but very smooth and unique flavor. Slow and steady wins the race.

Posted 1 day ago #
  38. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've never gotten so much as a nicotine hit from a pipe, so never ill.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 22 hours ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, admin