Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Have You Ever Been Laughed At For Smoking A Pipe?

(89 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by pipenscotch
  • Latest reply from eastwoodaudio
  1. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

Hello fellow pipe smokers, long time no see (or talk more like it).

So the other day I was with a group of "friends" (you'll see why I used the quotation mark in a second), and we were having a couple alcoholic beverages, just catching up. Some of these guys were people I used to hang out with quite a bit when I was in school, but there were only 3 other guys there that I seriously count as being close friends as of now. Well, the topic of discussion turned towards smoking, as I used to be a cigarette smoker (haven't bought a pack or smoked one in quite a long time now, thank you very much ), and so did some of the other chaps sitting at the table. I mentioned how I was greatly enjoying smoking my pipes and cigars now that I had turned away from the nasty nails, and I had three of the people sitting at the table look at me funny and laugh at how stupid they thought it was. I was a little offended to be honest. I've always thought these guys were kind of idiots before, but now I know that they're just total asshats. I've gotten everything from weird looks, to kindly compliments while smoking my pipe, but never have I been laughed at for what I consider to be a huge part of my life. Makes me a little peeved just typing all of this.

So now I ask, have any of you ever been laughed at outright while smoking or talking about smoking? And what was your response?

Happy puffin,
    pipenscotch

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    -”Sam Slick, The Clockmaker”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, but pipe smoking has been so marginalized, I don't consider I've put this to the test much. When
    you get into group psychology, as in your situation, any time you are not following the group, you risk
    being made the brunt. I don't think this has anything to do with pipe smoking, just that you are not like
    that group. These guys may be louts, but even with mannerly people, if you aren't drinking what they're
    drinking, you're outside their circle, at least in a small way. When I'm doing a smoke break in public,
    in an approved area (so help me), I assume a faraway look, and this leads others to take my pipe activity
    seriously too. No guarantees, but it seems to help. Also, we're picturesque, if you'll pardon my saying
    so. If you of an age to have gray or white hair, you get to play the sage for six or eight seconds.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

Good points mso! I myself am nowhere near the age (hopefully anyways, my old man started to develop gray hair when he was my age, exactly !) where anyone would consider me sage like, but you never know I guess...

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy what I do, and nobody could say or do anything to distract me from my enjoyment of it. Other people have very little impact on my own perceptions. Let them laugh, heck, I'll laugh with them. "A pipe, ha ha!!" The taste of the tobacco doesn't change because of that

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yes, once. I now bring flowers on his grave twice a year. The worse is, I warned him and he kept laughing.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

Lol junkyard

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. apatim

apatim

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's important to laugh at yourself. Especially if you want people to think you're clinically insane... and I do!

Enjoying my days on earth.

Tim
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did get huge amounts of ridicule from a couple of friends, but now they know I don't care what they think, so its not such a big thing.
    Be yourself.

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had the advantage of having a dad who chain smoked a pipe into retirement. He had mastered "the look,"
    so I picked up on that. He was a painfully deliberate thinker, but it gave him a focused, distant-seeing look.
    He was a pipe-smoking skipper of a minesweeper during World War II in the Pacific. Come to think of it, he
    died at 89 still licensed to drive, without glasses. People teased him now and then by calling him "the pipe,"
    but not much. He could recite Wordsworth and Shakespeare off the top, and gave a second retirement speech
    that was a stemwinder, worthy of William Cullen Bryant, that brought down the house. He even recited one of
    my poems in his speech. Not an easy act to follow.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Their response (albeit rude) might be based on misperception. They probably think it is akin to a person stating that they are going to stop drinking beer, and in the next sentence, talk how much they like drinking scotch and bourboun. I would be willing to bet in their ignorance, the increased smoke from pipes and cigars poses a greater risk.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a hell of a guy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. aquilas

aquilas

Login to Send PM

I bet they were just doing what guys do and that's talk trash to each other. I bet they don't mean it in the slightest. I mean, you can't brush them off with quotation marks that easily. I'm sure in time, they'll be like the guys in my situation.

I have a group of guys that I smoke with. At the time, it was just all cigars. When I decided to start smoking a pipe instead of cigars, they laughed and ridiculed me. Of course, I didn't just sit there and had to take my share of firing off some shots. I really can't take any of it seriously, especially since the talk there was a lot lighter when compared to when our fantasy football season is on (now that's when teh trash talking gets a bit excessive and feelings get hurt). A few months later, I'm getting comments like, "The pipe is interesting...I think we might start smoking the pipe, too...It smells so good..." It's funny how it's always been like that since we were younger. I'd start doing something different...they'd point and laugh at me...then next thing I know, they're interested and doing the same thing.

But in the end, don't care what others think about you smoking a pipe and don't let it bother you. Just smoke it all away.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

That's also a good point trailboss, I haven't thought of that...whatever, I guess for someone who thinks of the hobby as ridiculous in the first place its hard to be succinct in explaining the virtues of it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

And aquilas, I'm definitely gonna take your advice and just puff away without dwelling on it. Life is too short eh ?

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. lucky695

lucky695

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yeah about 5 minutes ago... and I'm sure it won't stop...because I know I won't. I work at a nuclear power plant with ~800 others... i think there are 2 of us here that smoke pipes...that I know of. I have had some odd eyebrows and questions about my Mr. Brog desk pipe clock too...again could NOT care less. It's funny I had some friends over to watch the hockey game during the Olympics. They noticed my Pipe rack and cellar cabinet, and summarily game me grief. I have a big bag of unused MM's and offered samples. So after smelling picking out an appropriate blend for each of them. We went out for a smoke.. 2 of the 3 kept their cobs and asked for some samples to take home too...

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. aquilas

aquilas

Login to Send PM

And aquilas, I'm definitely gonna take your advice and just puff away without dwelling on it. Life is too short eh

Exactly! I bet soon enough, they'll be asking if they can try the pipe. That will be a perfect time to get your revenge and you let them smoke some strong tobacco! lol jkjk.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At the age of 67 and being retired I no longer give a shit what others think. Of course when I was 66 that was a different story.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. broth

broth

Login to Send PM

Personally I haven't had anyone laugh at me for smoking a pipe. Usually people either think it is interesting and are positive about it, or they think that all smoking is stupid and start spouting off about how bad it is for you. The second kind of people never laugh, in fact, the people that would lecture one about smoking never seem to have very much of a sense of humor do they?

If anyone ever laughed at me about smoking a pipe I would think that would say a lot more about THEM then it would ME. And, from the fact that you referred to the people laughing at you as asshats, it looks like you agree with me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is a very long time since I have been laughed at, for anything. If people have negative or mocking thoughts about my pipe smoking, they must keep them to themselves, which is fine by me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. layinpipe

layinpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with aquilas, in that being young, when i bring my pipe to social get togethers/parties with my friends and they see me smoking a pipe, it definitely goes from laughing and jokes to asking questions about it and and sparking their curiosity. This happened fairly recently at a new years eve party, where there was a lot of people (most friends, some not but almost all i at least knew) with a range of reactions from staring to laughing followed by a joke to a few that were genuinely interested. The most common thing i heard and hear on a regular basis though is without a doubt, "my grandpa used to smoke a pipe, i loved the smell of it". I find that both funny and interesting but take pride in being different and carrying on the tradition with something that i truly enjoy. I do not do it to look cool or intentionally trying to be hipster-vintage-cool-different, but i could really not care any less what anyone thinks, regardless. Like apatim said, it is important to laugh at yourself. Couldn't agree more and couldn't be more true. People who take themselves too seriously and cannot do that are usually the ones who get ragged on the most, whether to their face or behind their backs.

I smoke my pipes by myself on the front porch or out back while my dogs play probably 90% of the time anyways, but if i'm going somewhere with my friends or with my girlfriend or on vacation and there is a chance of it being smoke-friendly, I sure as hell bring at least 1 pipe and a couple different tobaccos. Come to think of it, I don't think one of my friends smokes a pipe, excluding the pipe-smoking friends i've made since taking up pipe-smoking.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yes I have! I was walking down the street one day and I passed 3 late 20ish/early 30ish women going to a local pub. They looked at me and started giggling as I walked past them. It is only ignorant people who would laugh at someone such as us for enjoying our life in our own way. I like the term you used:

total asshats

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes; although not as common as, "Whatcha smokin' there?" (Wink wink; nudge nudge)

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does my daughter count? Mind you she laughs at everything I do since she's almost 12. Oh well she's now coined the term Pipe Nerds for fellow member Pruss and I!

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawmax3

Login to Send PM

Absolutely. I have smoked a couple of times at work and it was laughed at. I could care less.
    I also brought a couple of cobs and let some of the guys who were curious have a go at it. They seemed to enjoy it.
    Mostly people have never seen anyone smoke a pipe and they immediately think you are trying to imitate Sherlock Holmes or something. The laughing is a result of ignorance.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only laughed at by my girlfriend... But she eventually realized I was a lost cause lol.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

slightlywittynickname

Login to Send PM

As some of the other gentlemen have stated: Don´t give a damn about what they think of you or that they laugh! If it gives you enjoyment it is your business.

I tend to get odd interests (besides pipe smoking I am an avid fish keeper and have 11 tanks) and people and colleagues sometimes react with ridicule and I really couldnt care less. In my view the world would be so much less interesting without people that go against what mainstream society consider acceptable interests.

My colleagues are all health freaks and spend considerable amount of time on treadmills, which I consider one of the most idiotic mind numbing activities man has ever come up with, but do I say it? No, there is such a thing as good manners which some people seem be in short supply of.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Nope, never. The closest has been a couple of occasions where someone laughingly called me "Sherlock", but both those occasions were followed by something along the lines of "Really cool pipe!"
    I'll get the occasional faked coughing fit by someone of a disapproving nature. Mostly I get compliments like "That smells really nice!" or "I love the smell of a pipe!"

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe that's why you "Used" to hang around with them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was surprised at the "seriously count as close friends"designation for three people in one group. It is rare to have that many really close friends at the same gathering. Now I can see they are not friends at all. Real friends do not make fun of you. You have all gone through the feeling out and getting to know process and accept each other. These appear to be enemies.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. mrmotoyoshi

mrmotoyoshi

Login to Send PM

Absolutely. Almost nobody smokes pipes in northern Japan. My kids call me Popeye and Grandpa. The teachers relentlessly try to tell me that cigs are better. Men at the bar laugh and say that I'm probably smoking weed.

All of that just makes the bowls that much sweeter.

I'm an expert in my own opinion
    Posted 5 years ago #
  31. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only when I busted out a cob and then it was the briar smokers that were pointing and laughing.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  32. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

foggymountain wrote:

These appear to be enemies.

I don't know, and this is just my opinion, but tagging them as 'enemies' seems a tad strong. Number one: I don't know the age group as that can account to some extent. Number two: Alcoholic drinks were involved at the time. Number three: I've found throughout my years that it is friends who feel more at ease, especially while drinking, to find it it amusing to poke fun, ridicule, and joke about each other (me included).

However, only the OP knows just how serious they were. If by chance they were indeed serious then they are by no means friends, but certainly not enemies. They would then be, as the OP so aptly stated... 'asshats'.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

necron99

Login to Send PM

They would stop laughing if ya pour a whiskey shot on them and then light em on fire.

people don't tend to laugh at me.
    I usually have to ok people to laugh when I tell a joke.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand
    Milton Freidman
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

necron99

Login to Send PM

That was a joke ......you can laugh.

lol

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My own teenage kids laughed at me. But surprise surprise many of their friends think it's classy.

Bo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  36. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I busted out a cob for slow smoke competition and won with it, no one laughed.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

Just to clarify, the three that laughed at me were not the three that I count as close friends. And yes foggy, I am extremely lucky to have that many people that I can seriously call brothers from other mothers

To answer your question phil, they ranged in age from 19-21, and we had yet to reach the point in the night where alcoholic beverages would become a major issue haha But like I said before, these kids are asshats. I'm going out of my way to try and distance myself from them, so there ya go.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why did they think it was dumb? Was it, as said, they thought you were giving up beer and taking up scotch? Then it would be simple ignorance. I have not known many 20 somethings to be particularly wise.

PS I wonder what the reaction would have been had you said you'd given up cigarettes for weed?

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

As far as their ignorance level, I don't now. But I can tell you that these particular gentleman would welcome me with open arms if I was to take up the wacky tabaccy

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$0.02 > (Fucks I give about what others think)

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being a salesman all my life, I Thrive on Rejection! Bottom line, piss off if you don't like it...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  42. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To answer your question phil, they ranged in age from 19-21

Well then that explains everything! My daughter, who is 41, simply shakes her head at it, but my granddaughter loves the smell and actually looks forward to when I light up my pipe. People at that age cannot relate to smoking a pipe as, more likely than not, they have not experienced it as a common practice as I did when I was at that age and consider it as an oddity. Granted, when I was that age I was not smoking a pipe and smoking cigarettes (and other things ), but smoking a pipe was a very common practice and not given a second look.

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. chuckles

chuckles

Login to Send PM

Given the age of the 'asshats' in question, I would attribute their mockery to their lack of comprehension. The slow and methodical act of pipe smoking is alien in an age of instant gratification.

Never been laughed at for smoking...unless I use my bubble pipe.

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. ocpsdan

Dan

Login to Send PM

Being of similar age range, I can relate to the situation. I got a lot of blowback when I would return home from college. Family tried to talk me out of it for years and friends were quizzical at best. I stuck with it, and they all got used to it. I recently was helping an old high school friend move into a new house. His older brother (who I haven't seen or talked to in over 5 years) was surprised I didn't have a pipe on my person at the time. He went on to tell me he hears all about "Dan the pipe man" and we chatted about pipes and tobacco for an hour. It was surprising to me how people associate me and pipes together. It's just a hobby!

Laugh it off and give it time. People will accept it eventually.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes I have, and no I don't care. When asked "WHY" for any of my hobbies, the answer is always, "because I can".

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. oldmannk

oldmannk

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you enjoy what you do and are happy with they pipe. And the sound like they are unhappy people.

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a fascinating thread

Having smoked cigars ( after starting with pipes) for many years, most of my friends were surprised at me switching back to pipes. After time, two of them tried pipe smoking (something they had done earlier in life) and got 'hooked'again!

When I'm smoking in the street in NYC I often get stared at but experience surprisingly little negatativety. I love the little kids reactions

They stare in wonderment

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  48. fadingdaylight

fadingdaylight

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Broth
    If they are laughing at you, it only tells the world something about them. They aren't above putting others down to make themselves feel good.

That said, they could've just been giving you a hard time I guess.

- Jason
    "Lost in thought and lost in time... While the seeds of life and the seeds of change were planted... Outside the rain fell dark and slow... While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime..."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  49. apatim

apatim

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't understand what they are laughing about? What is so funny about a pipe?

Seriously, what do they find humorous about it? I just don't get it...

I guess I will have to start smoking in public places to find out, although other than cigar bars there aren't many places one can smoke anymore.

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. craig94yj

craig94yj

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately there is an unlimited supply of Popeye and Sherlock comments. I just smile. I enjoy smoking my pipe more than I give a f*ck about what people think of me. I also smoke English blends so I never get the "remind me of my Grandfather" line. My son says it smells like a burning Christmas tree. As many have stated above, keep a thick skin and enjoy your pipe. Happy smoking!

" I always wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific. " - Lily Tomlin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

adyingbreath

Login to Send PM

Not yet but im sure that day will come and when it does it will b there loss for not understanding why it is we do this

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, find some new pipe smoking friends

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. jsmarriner

jsmarriner

Login to Send PM

I would welcome any snot nosed kid (early 20s) to laugh at me. After four combat tours, nothing much phases me. Call me Popeye? Ok, ever see that guy in a fight? Call me Sherlock? The guy was a genius and a master at observation, plus he wasn't bad in a fight either. So thanks punk, for noticing that I am smarter than you and can likely kick yer sorry behind. Now take a walk.

In all seriousness though, I just lit my first pipe 3 days ago. While I will still enjoy a good cigar fro time to time in a social situation, I am a convert to the pipe now. I was sold the first time I had to relight and it didn't taste horrible. Cigars cant compete there.

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A lot of people find it easier to mock what they don't understand. You just have to figure out if it's good-natured ribbing or malicious in intent. My friends always busted each other constantly, what I would do if they ever called me Popeye would be to invite them over to dinner at a later date, serve spinach, then return the mocking in kind. A Popeye for a Popeye...

Matt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  55. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No. I have my pipe in my mouth, just about constantly. I'm only 38, but about 50% grey. Maybe that helps. To be honest, I don't care. I smoke anywhere I go, as long as I'm outdoors.

Posted 5 years ago #
  56. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have had some odd remarks. In college (a small Baptist institution) a group of pre-seminarians told me "Christians don't smoke". Unfortunately for them, the dean of the religion department was behind them and started reaming them via St Paul, in the middle of which he pulled out his Falcon and lit up.

My favorite time, I was standing outside an institution I am affiliated with, having a bowl before a meeting and staring off vacantly. A frat boy type walks by me to the front entrance and throws a "Nice pipe doucher" my way. He goes in and turns into our HR department. I finish up and walk in just as he is beginning his interview. Our HR director looks up and says "Oh good you can meet one of our Board members." Kid turns green and breaks into a sweat. It turned out in addition to having no people skills, he had no accounting skills so karma came his way.

Posted 5 years ago #
  57. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last July I was laughed at by my favorite U.K. tobacconist extraordinaire when he saw me smoking a pipe. When I first met him, he gave me an Ascorti...so it was not smoking a pipe that made him laugh, it was the pipe I was smoking. He had never seen such a thing in his life.

Posted 5 years ago #
  58. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[/quote]"Oh good you can meet one of our Board members."

@Lochinvar--

I love it!

Posted 5 years ago #
  59. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

That story made me laugh quite a bit lochinvar, that kid must have had a massive "oh shit" moment when you walked in. Don't you wish you could candidly capture moments like that all the time ?

Posted 5 years ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ js marriner, totally agree. A very good way for some punk to lose a tooth.

Posted 5 years ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

"Oh good you can meet one of our Board members." Kid turns green and breaks into a sweat.

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you are stupid."
    John Wayne

Posted 5 years ago #
  62. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey im a Punk you Pipe Douchers!!! Hahahahaha

Warren
    Posted 5 years ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Douchers"..... lol classic...

@skapunk1, Digging on the Iron Maiden T-shirt.

Posted 5 years ago #
  64. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yikes... some people would actually entertain the thought of punching someone in the mouth and lose ones teeth if they laugh, and or make snide remarks about you smoking a freaking pipe! Thanks to Uncle Sam in 1966 & '67 and seeing too much shit already I've since then become a pussycat. Bottom line... it ain't no big issue in the whole realm of things so relax. If ya let the small things in life drag ya down then the big things will kill ya. People who laugh, and or make fun of things they don't understand are the ones who are more often than not the insecure ones. It's just part of life, and the way things are. However, don't anyone ever dare make fun, and or laugh at my sipping an occasional quality Sherry while smoking a pipe. That is something I will never tolerate and blood will spill.

Posted 5 years ago #
  65. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just saw the Spike Lee film, Do The Right Thing, in which Danny Aiello tells someone "if they laugh at you they are not your friends." I agree.

Posted 5 years ago #
  66. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few co-workers that have kind of laughed when I told them I smoke pipes. Because I'm fairly young and they perceive pipe smoking as something that older men do they thought it was a little funny. Really I don't care. A couple of them like to make fun because sometimes I refer to my cigars as "sticks." Its all in good fun though.

Posted 5 years ago #
  67. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've converted almost all of my friends to the pipe. And when I'm in public I either get questions about it or compliments.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  68. bullbriar

bullbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Laughed at!? Only by my wife.......

If you could kick the person in the pants most responsible for your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

Theodore Roosevelt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  69. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The woman who prepares our taxes was remembering, with my wife, about quitting smoking. Then
    she turned to me and asked if I ever smoked. I said, well, I smoke a pipe. And her face just lit up
    with recognition, she beamed, and said, "Of course!" So I took that as an affirmation. I'm just a natural
    pipe guy, even if a person has never seen me with a pipe.

For comparison, people who have known me for years, when I tell them I am a Vietnam vet look totally
    confused and a little upset. I'm not someone you would visualize in the military. I think the U.S. Navy
    was a little astonished too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  70. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have reached an age where even though I don't I don't give a damn what people think I have also reached a point where my BS tolerance is much lower for ignorant people. If you laugh with me your all good. Laugh at me and your going to get a split skull. Remember regardless of what your momma told ya violence does solve some problems. LOL

Posted 5 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, the85boro, jguss, donjgiles, yaboofive, skeeter456, cosmicfolklore, mtwaller