PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Mrs Sothron is attending a chicken show. I have the entire day to myself, having no particular chores that need doing after this morning's round of feedings.
I am drinking a Genesee Cream Ale, smoking CH out of a cob with another cob full of Angler's Dream on standby, and watching a documentary on the War of Northern Aggression (what some may refer to as the "Civil War"). Tonight I will switch gears to VaPers, briar, and bourbon.
While I enjoy my wife's company, very rarely do I have a day when nothing needs fixing, I don't have to wake up early to hunt or fish or ride, and there's no big project to attend to. I planned out a day of blissful do-nothing. An exceedingly rare event.
Hell, I may even take an afternoon nap later on.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Fishing to me sounds like a great "do nothing but what i like day" as well.
Glad you found some time to relax.
I'm not one for religoin, but I totally agree with the idea of a "Sabbath". The world often moves too fast. A day of rest really does a LOT of good.
Enjoy your day.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
Sounds like a great day sothron! What do you think of Blockade Runner? It was the first non-OTC I smoked but I really didn't know one tobacco from the next (still not a veteran by any means). I'm thinking bout adding a tin to my next TAD, any thoughts?

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
So I can't believe the obvious question has not been asked, what the heck is a chicken show lol and why is the missus there? Geez you guys this stuff is interesting. I mean I know his review of blockade runner is important but chicken shows....that's something I am never gonna get to do! Unless I go to the playboy mansion...wait no thats a chick show... different thing right? :rofl:

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"So I can't believe the obvious question has not been asked, what the heck is a chicken show lol and why is the missus there?"
Yes, I was thinking the same thing.
"...and watching a documentary on the War of Northern Aggression (what some may refer to as the "Civil War")."
Sure sounds to me as if this was produced in the Deep South. And BTW, wasn't it the Confederacy that actually fired the first shots?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
A chicken show is like a stock show, but for chickens. Show breed chickens, best in class examples of various breeds, rare breeds, etc. When one breeds livestock, one attends stock shows. When one breeds chickens, one goes to chicken shows. I just couldn't be bothered to go to this particular one.
Regarding Blockade Runner, I enjoy it. It's not an everyday smoke, but an excellent example of an old school navy cavendish. Nice pressed brick of tobacco, heavier on the rum than, say, Navigator. Dark and sooty. Takes a flame well. Sort of bittersweet on the tongue. A nice departure from more the more common presentations of pipe tobacco.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Ahhh...what kind of chickens do you guys breed? There are some pretty good looking birds out there.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Mostly English breeds. Primarily various colors of Orpingtons, along with Speckled Sussex, Nankins, and at one time even some Dorkings. Also black, white, and red Silkies; a variety of different Cochins; bantam Leghorns, Barred Rocks, and other more mundane breeds including a flock of meat birds. Also Moscovy ducks and heritage turkeys.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I quite fond of Americanas....I do like the orpingtons but for a small plot of land I can't get to many

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Bigboi: We have some and they are nice birds. Well built multi-purpose birds. The roosters can get pretty darn big.
The missus came back with a Mille Fleur Cochin rooster that is currently sitting in a box in my living room crowing. Pretty bird. He'll be a match for a pair of Mille Fleur hens we have that've been missing a partner recently.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I am looking to get some Jersey Giants or Australorps...I have a fondness for those big birds as well.

zyrcon

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
I honestly couldn't think of a more perfect day. That is unless the ghost of Ole Pappy knocked on your door and handed you a fifth of Pappy Van Winkle.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
nsfisher, unless you've experienced it, you wouldn't believe the difference in taste, color, and texture between a mass-market industrial chicken and a (true) free range, farm raised chicken. It's night and day. Needless to say, we eat a lot of fowl.......

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Perfect!
Wish more could experience it. I think the most extreme contrasts in natural vs industrial food occur with eggs, chicken, beef, tomatoes, peppers, and strawberries. I fear, however, that the small farm way of life is dying out.

Status
Not open for further replies.