PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As a courtesy to my forum brethren, if anyone has a knife (pocket, edc, hunting, kitchen) that has gone dull and needs a shiny new edge feel free to send it to me.

I'm offering this service free of charge, aside from shipping costs to send it back to you.

I can also change edge geometry.

I have roughly 6 years experience putting laser sharp apexes on steel.. so shoot me a pm and let's get that knife screaming sharp again!
=]

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Wow that's a really awesome offer! I however have become "good enough"at sharpening my knives. Knives area my favorite. Buck specifically. I have about 8 buck knives.

Mar 1, 2014
I've got this solid bar of S125V sitting here that needs sharpening, can you manage that?

(^ This is a sarcastic comment)
The best edge I've ever managed was just barely tree topping, apparently one of the highest levels of sharpness is being able to push cut two-ply toilet paper.

Lately I've just been hitting the Mediums and stropping, apparently if you can't at least get a shaving edge on your lowest grit then you need more practice.
Brian, do you have a test for the best sharpness that you've achieved?

Do you use sub-micron polishing compounds?

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Fnord.. I cant do serrated blades at this time as I don't have the right rods. I don't personally own any serrated blades.
Pipesmokingtom..shoot me a pm. I'm willing to give them a shot.
Frozenchurchwarden.. for finishing I use 1 micron Hand American diamond spritz on my nanocloth strop surface.

My sharpness-test medium depends on the particular blade and what it's going to be used for. For example..a typical edc folding knife..I like a dual beveled edge and I'll take it up to 1k (sometimes 3k) before stropping. If I can push cut phone book paper with that it will serve my purposes just fine.

My kitchen knives on the other hand are finished with a single bevel around 12-15°, and upwards of 10k grit before stropping. (I use mostly Shapton stones)

If I have the time to kill, I feel accomplished when my chefs knife and paring knife can effortlessly splice toilet paper. Granted, that's a level of acute sharpness that most people will never experience.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Also lol frozenchurchwarden.. if I had a few thousand to sink into setting up a shop with all the tools I'd love to get in to knife making. Then I'd gladly play with your bars of Crucible steels.

I've never actually owned any s125v.

M390 is my personal favorite edc steel.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm pretty sure they only ever did one run of S125V, apparently the foundry could barely roll it into bars. The only reason I have it is I randomly happened to see some on the Alpha Knife Supply website one day and placed the order immediately.

If it ever gets heat treated I'll probably try to get Phil Wilson, he won't make knives with silly experimental stuff like this anymore but I'm betting he'd love to just play with it if someone else did the grinding.
Sadly I've come full circle from EDCing S90V, to today where a Victorinox is my most carried knife, and I prefer disposable blades for cutting boxes. If you're actually doing a lot of utility work, it seems like 90% of the time an edge is destroyed from impacts before it ever has the chance to dull from abrasion.
Speaking of narrow edge angles, I gave a nice Shun/Ken Onion kitchen knife to my sister for a wedding present, the edge was nearly matched to the primary grind, "the ultimate tomatoe slicer" I thought. I know they're not careless people but it's amazing how many chips there are in that edge now. I won't go below 10 degrees inclusive anymore (five degrees per side) because I have yet to see an edge like that go for more than a week without serious damage.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
My first "nice" chefs knife was a Shun. I think the edge was around 15° inclusive... helluva slicer but the edge rolled too easy and too frequently.
I've tried to like s90v, from Benchmade to Shirogorov, and for some reason it just seems to micro-chip SO easily. Same thing with s30v. Maybe it's just me.

May 4, 2015
I only have one nice kitchen knife, a santoku, that try as I may, I can't get my wife to not leave in the sink. Use, wash, dry, hang. Why is this so difficult? That one may be making its way to you as well one of these days, Brian.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Dishwashers are the bane of quality cutlery!

In a way, I think beginners should use carbon steel knives so they can get accustomed to regimented cleaning and drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.