PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Hi Everyone!
I've made a couple threads in the past about my antique store finds, so in the interest of keeping things organized I'll just keep bumping this one whenever I come across a nifty pipe or rack worth sharing. On today's installment of "Haunting The Antique Store With Ghost", I'll share with you a find that really turned around an otherwise difficult work day. Making a stop at my favourite antique store while on the road, I found a...
Peterson Donegal Rocky 999, stamped "Made in the Republic of Ireland".

It's in excellent condition from what I can see. The stamping at the bottom is very faint, almost rubbed off, but still present enough for me to make it out while in the store. There's tarnish on the band, and lots of oxidation on the stem, but it should be an easy restore. The cake isn't terribly thick either. I've yet to look up what year it is.

It was the only pipe I picked up today. I've found some wonderful pipes at this store in the past, but I would still call it a "hit or miss" place. You just never know what you'll find...
Matt

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
A quick check of the Peterson site, and I believe the band was hallmarked in 1984...

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Cool pipe, I'm still looking forward to my first Peterson, in good enough shape to clean up and smoke. The only one I have so far is just a cracked bowl, and no stem. LOL

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice find Ghost! I love the 999 and the donegal is a fun finish. Can't wait to see it cleaned up!
-- Pat

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks Pat! I started on it tonight already unexpectedly since the Sens are killing me. Playing terrible, yet leading 3-1 now. I switched to listening on radio while working on the pipe. Andy is saving our butts...again...
Inside of the stem and shank were dirty, but cleaned up rather quickly. I think I went through about 12 Q-tips in the shank before they came out clean. Not bad. I have the stem soaking in Oxi, and after reaming the bowl I'm using a cotton ball and Isopropyl instead of salt tonight.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nicely done.
I have the jays on the big screen tonight while the oxy and S&A do their thing. One nice thing about cleaning up Brighams I learned tonight... pull the filter, and a stiff bristle brush makes short work of any gunk in the stem and shank.
I may go at the cake in the bottom of the bowls tomorrow once the S&A is done.
Hope the sens pull it out for you. I have a feeling the buds have done all they're gonna for us this season.
-- Pat

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Well I'm going through the ordeal of the worst seasonal allergies I've ever had. I'm literally barricaded indoors. So I finished up the restore on the Pete. Here it is...

Someday when these allergies are through I'll fire it up...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nicely done brother. That's a good looking Pete right there.
You could always go for an allergy knock out with a sinus bomb and load a Lat heavy English into the Pete and draw three fingers of an Islay single malt. Once you're done, go for the trifecta with a super-hot vindaloo... no pollen could keep up with that.
Thanks for sharing the finished product Ghost.
-- Pat

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Matt:
You did a bang up job on that Pete.
Well done, friend-o.
I'm curious, why did you decide to do the cotton ball and Isopropyl as opposed to salt and Isopropyl?
Hope your allergies clear up soon.
Fnord

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Ghost, my jaw is on the floor. :eek:
That is simply an AMAZING restoration job you have done. It looks show room fresh again, plus it's a Peterson. I am not sure why, but I find myself drawn to their line of pipes.
Great find, and even better "cleanup" work! 8)

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm curious, why did you decide to do the cotton ball and Isopropyl as opposed to salt and Isopropyl?
I've used mostly salt over the years, but I'm still trying the cotton balls now and then. I 'think' the salt works better, but that's just my opinion. The cotton is way easier to clean out afterwards, and it's still effective. This pipe didn't need anything drastic as far as cleaning, it was used but not abused, so I did the cotton.
Paintedklown- thanks! I've been real lucky to find a few Peterson estates over the last year, and I was always drawn to them too. Great classic shapes.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Ghost. Great looking restoration.
On the salt vs cotton balls subject. I think the salt seems to "pull more out" but I don't like that I can taste the salt for the next few smokes. I wonder if I should do a salt treatment followed by a cotton ball one.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm feeling pretty good lately. Once again while on the road for work, I spotted an antique store I'd never seen before. Stopping in, it was a small location inside a converted bungalow. I didn't have much hope, until I spotted in a display case several pipes...briars and figural meers! I asked the proprietor if I could have a look at the pipes and she brought them out onto the counter for me.
She had about 15-20 in total. There were 3 Brighams, and the rest were Medicos, Grabows, and other "no name" types. A real working man's pipe collection. At that point, she said she remembered she had a few more and pulled out another small rack with more of the same. However, one pipe did catch my eye. They didn't have any debit or credit terminals, so luckily I had the cash in my pocket to pick up this one...

A Calich "Hand Made" pipe. I haven't owned a Calich yet, so I was more than pleased to find this one in outstanding condition. It seems to only have been smoked a few times, and has no ghost other than the possible smell of being stored in a cabinet for years. I'm excited about this one, I'm on a roll lately! :puffy:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice pick up Ghost! Wish I had your scrounging skills! I am looking forward to seeing how you handle the crack.
Best,
-- Pat

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
It looks like there's a crack in the picture, but it's actually just a trick of the eye. The bowl is solid, and the inside of the bowl has no issues. It's possible there was a flaw in the wood when it was being carved, so rustication would be an answer for that. Just speculation on my part...
The only real blemish on that side is the little nick at the bottom but it's just a surface scratch. I don't want to re-stain the whole pipe just for that, so I'll see how it looks once it's all cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.