PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I just opened a tin of Haunted Bookshop and noticed that the perique is mild. Regardless, I ordered 2oz. Bulk to try. This could be an everyday blend and want to take the plunge on a few pounds of the stuff. Trying to decide if the bulk is as good as the tin. First bowl of the bulk seemed to have a bigger dose of perique, hell yea.
Question! Is this an enigma? Does the bulk have more pronounced perique hit?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Bulk may settle more, and you could get more perique in any given bowl that way.
You already have a good 5lbs of OJK, I take it? ;)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've only bought the bulk (and smoked plenty of it). I have noticed some variation from batch to batch, but haven't noticed a ton of perique in any of them. I also smoke Old Joe Krantz pretty regularly, and it's always loaded with perique, so maybe I just haven't noticed an uptick in perique in HB relative to OJK for that reason.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
After posting this I thought, Hell, just buy OJK if you want more perique.
Death, I also wondered if the first bowl I had of HB Bulk, was all of the damn perique in the bag. Shucks.
I love OJK and really like His little brother HB, screw it I'll buy 5 Ibs of each.
Just checking if anyone has any inconsistency from bulk to tin with HB.
Had a surprise today, I ordered some McClelland Katerini Classic, the stuff was tinned in 2007! 9 years! The oldest tobacco in my cellar, now.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I'm in the same situation as Pitchfork. Bookshop was always the easy in between smoke for me when compared to the other C&D perique bombs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
... raises the question of consistency of blends overall. They certainly vary from year-to-year, since the tobacco crop does. And probably between batch and batch. Mostly this is noticed by smoking one blend consistently, regularly, over time, so you notice. I'm so variable in my rotation, always picking up some change-of-pace sample or jarred blend, that I might not notice. I really like OJK, and Billy Budd, but haven't yet tried Haunted Bookshop. I've never bought five pounds of anything, for the reason stated. Also, I'm a moderate smoker, so don't go through blends at a five-pound rate.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Haunted bookshop:
th

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Oh man, I've been enjoying OJK (and Riverboat Gambler, by association) because of the posters in this thread. Looks like I'll have to check out Haunted Bookshop now, too.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Matches.....860, yea that's the gentleman that encouraged me to try the HB. Friday Savinelli Heard.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I'm not big on most of the YouTube pipe blogs but John's videos are always interesting. He will talk you into trying HB if you watch enough of his videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.