PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I love HB. It’s a fill-and-go no fuss type of smoke. I usually buy it by the ounce in bulk, and I’ve known it to be a course cut blend that’s very dry, but it works. I added on an 8oz tin o my last order with P&C, and it’s like a different blend. Ribbon cut I’d say? With pieces of broken flake, and too wet to smoke right out of the tin.
Are there two separate recipes for this blend, bulk vs. tinned?

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
Had similar experiences with HB,OJK, Big n Burley, Morley's Best, and Billy Budd. I guess they did change the cut bulk and tinned.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Same for me with Old Joe Krantz, both ordered in bulk. The 2014 version was rough cut, the 2016 version was ribbon cut. I did not notice increased moisture levels however.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yeah, the last couple of years the cut seems to have changed somewhat. Bulk or tin. And it's less dry.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Interesting. Mine showed up after having spent eight or nine days in shipping, so maybe some moisture evaporated from the little bag (any order that falls short of a shipping minimum can easily be shored up with some Old Joe Krantz). It was during the summer, also, as I recall. But the original sample -- if a couple pounds is a "sample" -- went through the same treatment. So, a two cents there; maybe I got a scoopful from higher in the bucket, or whatever metaphor we might want to use for the uneven settling of moisture.
The bigger problem is that I cannot decide which cut I like better. Generally I prefer ribbon for its burning properties. Did you have any difference in the smoking experience?

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I usually prefer ribbon, and was excited to see the new cut. But, it’s so wet, it takes a good bit of drying time even under a lamp. Lost that load-and-go factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.