PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I never leave the house without a hat or cap on my head and a cap in the pocket for if the wind kicks up.
I also was brought up know that one takes off one's head covering when inside, doffs it to the ladies and when being introduced to someone. The wind cap? It stays on as necessary.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Alas, hat etiquette is pretty well shot. It irks me to go into a restaurant and see not just young guys,

but middle aged and older with their hats on their heads. Maybe at Burger King, but some of these

people are at tables with white table clothes. Mighty sad. Especially if it is a big hat like a Stetson.

I don't care what their investment portfolios look like, they look like rubes to me. Sorry, but it's so.

A touch of class goes a long way.

Jan 8, 2013
I've always loved hats, but own very few. In fact I only own one nice hat, a fedora that was my father handed down to me. Unfortunately he has a bigger head than myself and I cannot wear it.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Anthony,

Check this site out:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/

I own a few of theirs and for entry level pricing is very good. Also ever hear of "hat sizers"? Felt or cotton strips with one sticky side to stick inside the hat,on the sweatband to decrese,or tighten a hat: http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/view-all/451139-6391/-hat-sizer.html

I've used these in several of my hats,I have a small head and my hat size falls between a small and a medium. These work very well.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:
001_zps69b165a9.jpg

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I tend to wear my hat out quite often, never in a professional situation though. Nonetheless, I have been raised to remove my hat when entering buildings / restaurants. However, if I am wearing a hat, the hair underneath is the furthest thing from presentable, resulting in me leaving it on. This is not meant as disrespect, just doing people the favor of keeping the atrocious hair out of site.

Jan 8, 2013
Hey Dan :) Thanks very much. Looks like they have some descent looking hats too. Unfortunately the hat sizer is out of stock, but I'll try finding it elsewhere.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Anthony,

Those are the ones I use, but they sell several different types. Use the search bar, type in "sizers". I think there's six or more, don't go cheap;)

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I have a fair assortment of hats -- Panamas, fedoras, several Akubras (a recent favorite), a pair of nice Stetsons. I wear a hat -- a proper hat, not a cap -- to the office every day. Three reasons:
1. To honor my dad, who would no more have gone into town without a hat than without trousers.
2. Cooler in the summer, drier in the rain, warmer in the winter. A hat is the most practical item.
3. Let's face it: I look damned good in a hat.
Noggin Tops and David Morgan are two fine sites for hat's online.
Steve's column was swell.

What?! men don't wear hats? Is this like that nasty rumor that there aren't any places you can smoke your pipe in public any more? I rarely see a guy without a hat in the Alabama sun (unless its a silly baseball cap). Cowboy hats, straw hats, newsboy hats, planters hats, fedoras, bowlers, etc... I don't leave the house without a hat. I take it off when I enter any building, and tip it to the ladies.

Jeesh, you guys should all move down here and smoke anywhere you please... with your hats. ha ha!!
I think ya'll are just displaced Southerners at heart. :puffy:

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Alas, hat etiquette is pretty well shot. It irks me to go into a restaurant and see not just young guys,

but middle aged and older with their hats on their heads. Maybe at Burger King, but some of these

people are at tables with white table clothes. Mighty sad. Especially if it is a big hat like a Stetson.

I don't care what their investment portfolios look like, they look like rubes to me. Sorry, but it's so.

A touch of class goes a long way.
back in the day most restaurants (non fast food) would have a coat rack where one would hang his coat and park his hat. how long since you saw one? the better restaurants would actually have a coat check room with attendant. outside of a few major cities in the US won't you find that option. so generally when I'm out I will leave my hat in the car and even my coat unless it's super cold.

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
The hipster fedora is killing wearing hats. It takes a man to wear a hat, unfortunately not all fit the bill. I'm taken to wear a cabbie or newsboy. Casual, light and it keeps the sun out of my face.
I also agree about lost etiquette, if you're inside, take off the damn hat. I can't even imagine eating with it on in a restaurant! As soon as I walk inside, I flip it off, smooth my hair, fold my cap over and tuck it in my back pocket or behind me in my belt.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't see a lot of hats here in La La land, which given the sun and the heat, inform me that I live amongst dim witted savages. And a lot of the hats that I do see are those pathetic skinny brimmed hipster hats that look like someone took too much off at the bris.
For more than 40 years I have worn a number of hats of various descriptions and all, whether panama or felt, have a decently wide brim. My Goorin Bros panama has seen a lot of service and it holds up great. My most recent acquisition is a Walleroo outback, and it is outstandingly comfortable and offers excellent sun protection for my balding head. When it come to felts, I have an assortment of inexpensive fedoras for every day, several Borsalinos for more formal occasions and several vintage Italian fedoras. Italians make exquisite hats.
A person who does not wear a hat is not to be trusted. It's a telling as someone who doesn't like chili or bar-b-que.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The hat in my picture is probably the last hat I'll buy. I wear it every day when out unless I'm behind the saw, then it's a ball cap.
The 3 hats I've owned over the years are all 100X beaver, blocked and shaped by my hands. The two I no longer wear are worn, battered, and two brittle to wear. They each are full of memories and hang on a rack in a place of honor in the house. They've been used to shade lenses from the sun in many different locales, fanned campfires in Russia, Canada, Mexico and the US. I used one to shy away a grizz on the Russian River. There is a bullet hole in one best explained by mentioning only beer, a couple of buddies from the Department, and the ill advised acceptance of a bet.
My hats have been stepped on, danced around, sailed exuberantly through the air, stomped by a bull or two when I was younger and dumber, fought over in a bar or two where uninformed drunks were never taught not to take another person's hat, and they've been disparaged and admired.
My hats are my diary, full of memories both good and bad. They remind me of lessons learned the hard way, of friends no longer here, and of times well wasted. I'm fairly sure that I'm wearing the third and last volume. I have mixed emotions about that.
One secret; I've been known to put on the oldest one and when I look in the mirror I sometimes catch the ghost of an image of a lad very full of himself, ready to take on anything life had to offer.

Reactions: bearwolf56

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
It's damn near impossible to wear any of these hat styles without looking like a twat, unless you're wearing a suit, or barring that a vest and decent dress trousers. I'll stick to my ball caps or my black straw cowboy hat, unless I'm kilted, then out comes the scally cap or tam.
Seriously, trilbies and t-shirts do not mix.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I love hats. For many years I wore more ballcaps than anything, but realized they have about as much style as the 5 year old wearing one beside me. I began a real journey to find hats that fit my face and a style I was comfortable with in my late 20’s. First came straw fedoras, leather Aussie hats(still great for inclimate weather) and have progressed to ivy caps and stingy brimmed hats. Since I started this years ago, I dont get much grief from friends, but I dont care. My only gripe is “hat hair” I love my hats but still have a nice hed of hair at 43. So, I really hate removing my hat indoors(except while eating). My wife is a big fan of my hats and ladies are usually very honest about how it looks on you. So, if they like it, all the better.

Vorhees, I was thinking that you were in Atlanta. I can't believe that Atlanta doesn't have a culture of hats.
Like having a thriving pipe shop in your area is going to influence how many guys you see out and about with pipes. I bet having a thriving haberdasher or hatter will influence whether or not you see hats around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.