PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
But not just any hats... nice hats, or dress hats, hats that aren't necessarily in fashion anymore, but still pop up from time to time. I've always like and worn hats, mostly ball caps, but I've had a few nice fedoras and a few western hats of course. I've always thought the derby, or bowler, as it's called in England, was a very nice looking hat. I've always wanted one, but just recently finally purchased a low crown derby. Although I get the occasional odd look when I'm in public, I'm loving it. And I'm actually surprised these hats aren't seen very often. With it's shorter brim, it doesn't blow off in a strong wind like other hats might, but you can still keep the sun out of your eyes with a minor adjustment. A little research reveals, that the derby (not the cowboy hat) was the most popular hat in the American West, even among cowboys. It has at times been popular among the working class, and at other times popular among the wealthy, and stayed in fashion quite strongly between 1849 when it was first created and through the early 20th century until eventually the homburg and the fedora became more prominent.
Anyone else sporting a hat of choice?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've got one Stetson, a pith helmet, and a fedora. I also a few straw style hats I picked up in Mexico that I really like. I'll have to post some pics when I get home.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Got a wool trawler cap and a Tilley
And a sou wester ..
It’s windy here

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm not seen in public without a hat. The wolf in my picture or one of two "Last Best Cowboy Hat" customs. And, they are always tipped to the ladies, never worn indoors nor ever sit on a bed.
Forgot the "flat hat" I wear in Europe.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I have a cabbie cap w ear flaps I wore last winter w plaid flannel lining. It helped enhance the looks I would get w my calabash gourd and Churchwarden pipes.

It's seen better days and also went mia so my bald head yearns for a new winter hat and I just can't rock a ski hat..

Not that I'm against a warm weather hat, oh yeah I have this packable silly fisherman type hat w chin strap and neck shade..

Guess I'm just a utilitarian hat wearer/tobacco collector...

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I like flat caps, stingy brim fedoras and pork pie hats. I have several hats, but hate hat hair. I typically wear one only where I don’t have to,remove it.

Jan 8, 2013
Warren, I googled Last Best Cowboy Hat and found a site that custom makes your hat to order. The Last Best West. Is that the same?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Straw flat cap in the summer. It stays on my head, with the top down in our MG and it's like AC for my head.

Black wool flat cap in cooler weather or this Orvis fedora hat got a lot of use last year.

Occasionally a baseball cap, but they've fallen out of favor in the past few years.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Being a military man, I'm required to wear a hat outdoors whenever I'm in uniform. Otherwise I'm either bareheaded, wearing a baseball cap, or a bike helmet.
I would like for more people to discover pipe smoking, and in a small effort to help with that, I try not to look remotely eccentric while smoking in public, except the pipe. That means I don't wear any hats that could also be categorized as eccentric while smoking. Nothing wrong with any hat you like, of course, just a preference.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I think by last best in quotes he meant like this is the best and last hat to get but that there's been several so it's not really the best or last if another one that seems better comes along.

Be curious to see if that's the case or it's actually a thing..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife gave me a Stetson derby for Christmas and I love to wear it, but don't wear it enough. I'm hat crazy, own numerous hats. I only regret that brimmed hats bump the headrests in most cars making an annoyance for driving, so I usually wear billed caps or driving caps. It really annoys me when men wear hats indoors, especially in sit-down restaurants or in church, but I realize no one even a little younger than me was ever exposed to any sort of hat manners or etiquette, so men unwittingly look like louts and yahoos sitting in a white tablecloth restaurant with their hats on. I'll hang my hat on my knee before I'll wear it that way. I have to wear hats now for basil cell "things" that otherwise get generated. But I have always loved hats. I have some hair, so it's not that. Tom Waits said he assumed his old bowry dweller persona because old guys always get to wear the neatest hats.

Jan 8, 2013
Yes, they changed the name a few years ago.
It's a very cool website. It's funny, the other day I spent a good while searching "online hatters, online hatmakers, online custom hat makers" all to no avail, and decided there wasn't such a thing. Last Best West was a welcome surprise.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm usually sporting a beat-up old cotton duck slouch hat. When I pair it with a straight billiard, my wife says I look like some 1930s eccentric out hunting for fossils.

Status
Not open for further replies.