PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Just so you guys dont think I'm slacking, been putting a lot of hours in at the shop without a lot to show for it. I started with some very old Greek briar, thinking it would take the dark stain well. After breaking TWO shanks off I figured out this stuff is too brittle after sitting for 50 years. I picked some other blocks and drilled a few pipes, then ran into some lathe issues I'm working out today. Tuesday I have a shipment of Algerian Briar coming, and its some good plateux.

I have one test pipe finished, and its a good smoker. I missed on the shaping here, the pipe needs a lot more "apple" in it to nail the shape but this pipe tells me where I need to go with the rest of them.

What do you guys think of the stain ? Hard to tell in a crappy cell phone pic, I dont know if I've gone too dark with it or not. I like the rich blood red look of it. This is the same Algerian Plateaux the rest of the pipes will be done with.
20120630_1418121.jpg

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thanks guys ! JJ thats my stamp "R.E. Alden" and a curly serif at each end. My mom is an artist and I left the stamp design up to her. Probably a bit too fancy, but I cant tell Mom that :D So, fancy stamp it is.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thanks guys ! I am really trying to recreate the Hatfield pipe as much as I can. The problem is, it looks different in different shots. Sometimes it looks more brown and at times it looks so dark its almost black, but in good clear shots it has deep red color around the bowl with a dark shank and rim.

I dont think all the hype about this pipe is because a movie star was smoking it, but because its just a damn cool pipe !

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Great looking pipe. A person walked behind me and said "D*** that is nice!" The guy isn't even a pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.