PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I had two AMAZING smokes today! They were both at our weekly pipe club meeting, we smoked and played cards and ate and really enjoyed the company for about five hours. Afterwards, after running to get dinner and a movie with my lovely wife, I loaded up again. Only this time:
It sucked!
It was the same blend, same pipe as earlier, but this time it tasted ashy and tar like, burned too hot, was really wet. What the hell happened?! Has this ever happened to you fellas? This has happened before and I hate it. I would love to know where I'm going wrong...

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Same pipe. Sounds like it needs a rest and a cleaning. Taste buds changed after the meal? Who knows but I have had similar experiences and it was usually cured by a fresh pipe.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yes, I've had it happen on occasions. Favorite tobacco, good pipe... lousy smoke! A lot of variables here and at times I'll be damned if I can ever point them out. Sometimes I believe that pipe smoking is a seductive, but yet an ever so elusive creature at times. Hmm... sounds like a female does it not? :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not that wild about reloading a pipe. They do increase moisture after one bowl. That's one excuse for having

"too many" pipes, so you ought to be using them.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
LOL @Phil...
I'm still a newb but I've had the same thing happen. I've just chalked it up to a rather complex process with a lot of variables (my granddad would be looking at me over a nice puff of CBW saying "What're you talkin' about? Just smoke it!"). It's disappointing, but I tell myself that i still (to my surprise) like the high maintenance level - or more properly, high "involvement level" - and resultant lower predictability of piping more than the (relative) simplicity of cigars.
I seem to be feeling very parenthetical tonight...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've had the same problem, and need to develop a rotation. The problem is, the usual cure for rotating pipes is to get yourself some cobs, but I find cobs overheat too fast. I'm now looking for some straight apples to add to my rotation.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I think next time if I ever have to wonder "do I really want another bowl?" The answer is probably NO. It's what I get for being gluttonous...
Thanks for the convo gents

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
inthelouniverse, I had that exact same problem with my brand new Nording, first two smoked great, than I got this nasty nasty taste. It tasted stale sour and smelled like a dang ashtray. I let dry for two days and the smell stayed. So I filled it with salt poured some alcohol in it and let it sit for a few hours, lots of nasty black stuff came off but the smell was gone. Let it dry out and she smokes great again. You should of seen what came out of my estate peterson... bleh.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1. Always let your pipe cool and dry thoroughly. And the reaction you experienced suggests that 2 days might be good for this pipe.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
I clean my pipes with an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner or two after every smoke. I've never hasd to resort to the salt and alcohol treatment following this regimen- even with the very nasty estate finds I get on ebay.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
ditto, I never smoke the same pipe the same day. Now, there are those who smoke the same pipe over and over and over but that is not my experience.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Yep. Had it happen today, in fact. Bowl last night and again in morning, delicious. Third in the afternoon -- mistake. In this case it's not quite broken in yet. Still, feels like I wasted a bowl of my favorite tobacco. Sort of silly of me not to have switched pipes.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Oh yes it happened to me the other night, my Sav shell 7 pm Wilke # 191 thought it would be ok 1 am it tasted sour and bitey never happens but after every bowl I run a cleaner dipped in Pipemasters and let it dry for a day. That is a first and last time I will ever not run a cleaner through right after smoking and let it rest. Indolence on my part all the way! :oops:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If all your smokes were great smokes, then none of them would be.

Shakespeare said it better:
  • If all the year were playing holidays,

To sport would be as tedious as to work;

But when they seldom come, they wish'd for come,

And nothing pleaseth but rare accidents.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 on rest'in bacci pipe. Also pipe smoke'in is an endless journey I hope never ends..So if I rush a pack, light, bacci blend and what it demands... it all adds up to perhaps a not-so-good smoke, happens to us all :puffy:

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Probably your pipe being tired, but consider the two different scenarios in which your blend was smoked. Let's take a cigar scenario: While on vacation, you try a new cigar. You smoke it on a boardwalk in a light breeze during sunset hours. You really enjoy it! But when you get home, it's decidedly different than the first time you smoked it-- even terrible! I think that a tobacco can be perceived differently based on the environment and mental state you are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.