Has Anyone Tried The Savinelli Tortuga Yet?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Radice Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
9 Fresh Winslow Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
These look pretty sharp to me and appears to be a nifty idea for the outdoor smoker when it gets too cold to finish a bowl in the winter time. Anyone have experience with these yet?
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=115158
002-033-10827.jpg

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Yah I got one about 10 years ago. I got the bent with the little cap. Then stems have changed a bit, mine is more of a swirl but matches the cap. It was the first "real" pipe I bought and I thought all good pipes came with a cap. Haha! Smokes great but really don't use the cap.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I haven't actually had one but I have been looking at that line for a while. I think they are beautiful pipes and I see them often on the bay. I just imagine most losing the cap over time, including myself. I also find it funny that their Honey line of pipes has a similar stem with out the matching cap for close to 50% more money. Makes the Tortuga line much more of a deal.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Maybe the rusticated Tortugas are seconds from the smooth Honey's?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've eyed that one myself a few times. They are really nice looking pipes. I cannot say how good they are - but you know what they say "you can't go wrong with a Sav". :puffy:

machurtado

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
I have one that I really like in a 602 but its smooth not rusticated. As far as loosing the cap I just keep it in my pocket when I'm smoking that pipe and then put It back in there after I clean it.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Paint and rustication can hide flaws much better than smooth stain.
I don't disagree with you, but if the flaws that are being hidden are only on the outside do they really affect the smoking qualities of the pipe? Probably not. Thus my point about it being a better deal. Plus I just prefer the feel of rusticated pipes in my hand. So I am right and you are wrong. :nana:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I never had a "Bad" Sav, and I think that one is beautiful. Wish I never told the wife I was done buying pipes for a while.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
I guess the old ones like mine just came with the Tortuga band and bowl cap, because mine has a black stem. Really good smoker.

tortuga_zps5fbc6dc5.jpg

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I just had an awesome smoke out of mine this past Sunday morning in the middle of Times Square in front of the Marriott Marquis.

Untitled-34.jpg

lildutchboy

Lurker
Dec 1, 2012
can't go wrong with a sav
I had a B&M order in 4 different Savinelli churchwardens, one smooth one had a crack through the bowl, one (a rusticated) had a big fill at the stem and one had an off color stem. I bought my Pete instead :) That Tortuga might win me back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.