PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a tin of Elizabethan aging in my drop-front Two Cousins rack, but I haven't cracked it yet. I'll

be watching other responses to this post.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Ive tried it and I do like. Its definitely worth a try. I will usually grab for Royal Yacht before Elizabethan.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Worth a try for sure. It's on the lighter end of the VaPer spectrum, very VA-forward and a tad sharp. The current incarnation is honestly a bit of a let-down when compared to the old, old, old (i think) incarnation, but it's ok in its own right. I'd give it an 80+, FWIW.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Not a bad smoke, fairly tasty. Better smokes for the money IMO, but worth a try. I've got a couple back still. See what a few years does to it.

B

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
I've been smoking quite a bit since it's release, bit lighter than the original but a great smoke. Should cellar well and I believe deepen the flavors with some age.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I think it's rather mediocre. The Murray's version had more perique, a light sprinkle of coarse cut lemon Virginia with the rest being ribbon cut. The new version has no lemon Virginia, less perique, and burns faster because it's a shag cut. The tobacco in the tin I smoked was young, and needed aging. There are better VaPers out there. Even the Elizabethan Match is better and closer to the original that this version.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I never had the pleasure of the original, however, I grabbed a few tins upon release last summer, smoked one cellared the others.
I liked it and smoked it as an all day smoke, as it wasnt strong enough to destroy the senses. I found it to be smooth and mellow. It wouldnt be on my 'stuck on an island' list of smokes though.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I've gone through several tins of Elizabethan since it's release ... true, it's not the same as the original and there may be some merit in the suggestion that it should bear a different name, but that said, it's a decent blend that smokes well and I like it ...
By comparison, there's an iteration of Three Nuns on the market right now that bears absolutely NO resemblance to what most of us think of as the "original" ... the 'new' version contains NO Perique while it DOES contain some Oriental tobacco the "original" never had, yet many smokers like the "new" version quite well and are happy with it ...
Bottom line, IMO, is you should pick up a tin and decide for yourself what you think ... after all, your palate is uniquely your own and only you can decide whether it's right for you ... the fact that I and any number of others like or dislike it should not influence your opinion ... each among us has different taste, which is the precise reason why there are so many blends on the market ... there is no size that fits all ...

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
Well I am glad that I bought mine and immediately put in the cellar. I will give it a shot in about 12 to 18 months to see what I think of it.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I have my first tin on the way. I am to curious to let it age, but I will give it a try. If I like it I will surely get some for the cellar. Should be here today, I'm getting a bit excited to try it. I read about so many blends on this forum and I think each person has his own particular taste preference. Guess that's what makes the world go around.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
At the risk of being completely unhelpful, I'll add that I've only tried the *original* Dunhill version (pre-Murray, etc.) and found it be similar in flavor to the 1970s-era 3 Nuns. I was a fairly new smoker at the time, though, so I don't know what I'd think of it today.
Bob

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Not to change the subject, but Royal Yacht has been mentioned.
Why do some nick name it, 'Royal Yucchhh"? Is it just a question of taste? Even the tobacconist agreed when I mentioned its pseudonym. :)

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Allan, it seems to be a pretty polerizing tobacco. You either love it or you hate it but either way you have an opinion about it.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Allan:
Have you tried Royal Yacht? Try a couple of bowls and I think you'll find that it has a very distinctive flavor that tends to be a love/hate kind of thing. It's been decades since I tried it, but I recall it was way too off-beat for me at the time. (I should revisit it as a more experienced smoker, though.)
As with the Lakeland-style blends, I think the best approach is to simply try it and be open to experiencing what it has to offer. Don't go into it looking for it to taste like something familiar or expecting it to be your new favorite blend. Just try it to see what it tastes/smells like. You may be surprised. After all, if it were universally despised, Dunhill (et al.) would have stopped producing it long ago. It speaks to its popularity that when Orlik decided to re-introduce some of the discontinued Dunhill blends, Royal Yacht made the cut.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Allan:
Do let us know what you think! I know there are some real RY fans here, but it would be great to hear how a newcomer to the blend evaluates it.
Bob

Aug 14, 2012
The Royal Yacht I got recently was not as rich as it used to be. I never tried the old Elizabethen, but the new stuff, to my palate, is very good to start, then turns awful at the end. It is best smoked half or two thirds of the way then discarded.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
It is good. Also it's a ribbon cut so good for quick packing. It is a bit sharp and I've put it in the cellar Hopefully a year or few will mellow it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.