PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
And by that, I mean that you have smoked it for so long, that its just naturally stopped smoking well? I ask because I was reading Rick Newcombe's book and there is a chapter on the life of pipes and he mentions the ongoing discussion of how long pipes actually last and that you can "consume" them to the point that they no longer smoke well. I've never done this with any pipe and am wondering if you have.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Well My old cob of 22 years just up and cracked apart but it smoked good till the end.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I thought that was a sexual question at first. 8O I would think your lungs would give out long before that would happen, unless it was one of those cheap cob pipes. :laughat: I've got my flame suit on, I'm ready for the revenge of the Cob Clan. :nana:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Well My old cob of 22 years just up and cracked apart but it smoked good till the end.
I've had mine about that long.... It's still going strong.
Never have worn out a pipe....

Chewed up some stems...

But, never worn one out.

:puffy:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Basjerville, any idea how often they've been smoked? The theory is that over time and smoked enough, the briar will eventually clog to the point of not breathing well. It seems to make sense but I've never known anyone who has done this. When I look at estates, I won't buy things like Tanshells or Redbarks that are black because it doesn't make sense to smoke a pipe thats been so smoked, the original color is completely gone.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Never had one go "bad" before. had one crack on me, in my younger days. I think I didn't let it rest enough. never had a burnout either.

Jul 12, 2011
@hobie1dog..ahh we have a cob hater here, hope u only knock'in

that cheap crap...us MM cob'ers are strong with the force ;-)

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a 32 year old cob. And bought a m&m recently. good

pipes! I have clays,'briars, meerschaums, a gourd, a peace pipe, even had a brass water pipe once. Enjoyed em all. Even the Brylons, lol

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I still have my first cob and it gets puff'd nearly daily... so 25 years and going strong.

So... my answer is no... I've never smoked one of mine till it's end.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I think your question goes to the old codgers that smoked the same pipe all day long year after year.

I imagine thats part of the wisdom behind a rotation of pipes.

I've cleaned hundreds and hundreds of estate pipes and I dont recall any that were just too far gone to do anything with. I may be blocking them from memory though

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I read Rick Newcombe's book "In Search of Pipe Dreams". I recall the exert that you mentioned. I believe Newcombe meant that he has heard of pipes that have petered out as evidenced by the black going practically as the way through the bowl. However, he also made the point that even though he has heard of this happening he has seen many more cases of 75 year old pipes still smoking like they did want they were new, even better.
I am sure a pipe can out live its usefulness due to the wood eventually giving out, however, as has pointed out regular pipe maintenance would probably make a big difference in the long-term smoking pleasure.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
My pipes will more than likely outlast me. That's a chilling thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.