PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Was looking around a little bit ago at some custom pipe makers and found Downie Pipes. He has some really good work has anyone ever bought from him?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hard to buy one of his pipes. As soon as he posts a pipe, it's gone, like Trevor Talbert. Both make a fine pipe from what I know.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I have two of his pipes. He does Excellent work....very talented pipemaker!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Downie has a dog, and he wears good quality footwear... what more could you want from a man?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Were the opposite true, that a maker had cat and wore dilapidated sneakers, what could be said about him?

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I have one and it is a ball buster in terms of design, worksmanship and function, probably my best pipe.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
He does consignments. I don't really like playing the game of when a in-demand maker posts a pipe, you have to try and jump at it, without giving it a ton of thought. I'd rather order something I've seen him do, and ask him to make something like that again.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Ron, I agree. When something strikes my fancy, I need time to assess whether such is justified. Then I have to justify the price vs. my budget, which is by far the longer consideration, especially when I already have plenty of pipes.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
I've held a few of his pipes in my hands, from a friends collection, I can confirm the quality is exceptional!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Saltedplug asked "Were the opposite true, that a maker had cat and wore dilapidated sneakers, what could be said about him?"
Satanist, most likely. Stay sharp!

Jan 8, 2013
I visit his web page every so often out of curiosity and his pipe range from conservative to wild, and all lovely... unless ugly on purpose, of course. I don't own any of his pipes yet, but he's been on my list for a while.
I mean... My God, man! 8O
perseph.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I own one of his pipes, a traditional apple that smokes very well. The stem work on my lone Downie is really well done. I would buy another if I found one in a shape I like. Here is mine.

004-009-5682_1.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Saltedplug asked "Were the opposite true, that a maker had cat and wore dilapidated sneakers, what could be said about him?"
Satanist, most likely. Stay sharp!
Elevating the dialog to Satan's nadir leaves little room for rejoinder, unless of course I took to ascribing that Evil to the look of the cat or the demonic dilapidation of the sneakers, which in the end, if telling, would still not eclipse the ending absurdity to "stay sharp,!" which is hilarious! Fantastic reply!
anthony, you posted a tremendous example of why Downie's pipes are so rapid snatched up! Even though I am much more prone to introspect before buying a pipe, I adore the shape, and did I have the ready clams, would buy it in a heartbeat! What a beautiful shape. I suspect Mr. Downie takes his own pictures.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These pipes are amazing work. I often think a little wear will make a pipe more interesting and personal, but these are like masterpieces, like Steinway pianos and the woodwork in a Rolls Royce.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Harris that’s an early piece from him. I have one as well. He did that as a forum pipe in 2005 or 2006 if I remember correctly.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
click, I know about the poy he did and am glad I was able to score one for short money. I am always on the lookout for any estates of his but they don't come around very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.