Has Anyone Left A Pipe Out In The Freezing Cold?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I bought a pipe back at the beginning of November from a seller in California. It was promptly shipped, on it's long journey to Ontario. And then came the postal strike...and no sign of the pipe. I fear it's in one of the many, many tractor-trailers sitting unloaded outside in the cold. And I mean cold; -15C(5F), -27C(-16F) with the wind chill today.
Has anyone left a pipe to freeze outside in the cold? Or perhaps forgotten the pipe in the fridge freezer trying to release a stuck stem? And did the pipe survive unscathed??? Inquiring minds wish to know.
Mau

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I leave pipes in the cold all the time. I live in Wisconsin. I will leave a pipe in my car, over night in sub zero (F) weather. That said, I will not smoke it until it has come to room temp on it's own. I've never seen an issue.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Thanks unk. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I suspected as much but you know how these things niggle at your mind. I even went so far as to remove the 3 pipes I had stashed in the car. And the tobacco too. Do you leave your tobacco out in the cold as well?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I don't like leaving tobacco in the cold, but pipes do not seem to care at all. Briar's tough stuff.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Any nice pipes left in such extreme cold should be sent to Texas for climate reconditioning therapy.
As a service to my fellow forum member, I am PMing my address....
jay-roger.jpg

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I leave mine in the car in the cold all the time in Ohio. I just warm it up in my hands to room temp before lighting. Never an issue.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Sasquatch, I agree with you, I expect the freezing has to have some negative impact on the tobacco, fundamentally changing its smoking characteristics.
Jay, a very generous offer Sir! Kind of a spa for pipes...
Tschiraldi, I definitely will be warming the pipe before lighting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
unk' has actually run this experiment, but his report is what I'd expect. It's not the cold that would get the pipe. If you give it a day to warm up slowly to room temp, it will be just as before. However, once frozen, it could be more vulnerable to being jarred or dropped, and you sure don't want to remove the stem. Just let it return to "normal" room temperatures and it will be as before, I'd expect.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've a tin of Romeo & Julieta puritos in my car's glove compartment, which has sat in below zero temps a few times. Smoke just the same.
Wind chill is a BS value, BTW, the temperature is not really lower, it's still the nominal -15 or whichever. Besides, the pipes should be snuggly packed inside a cardboard box (don't homeless guys use paper for insulation?), and if the seller wrapped it in bubble wrap, it's even further insulated. I wouldn't worry about it.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I always leave whatever cob I'm smoking out on the back porch where I smoke, winter or summer. I do stick with cobs in the winter mostly and will bring a briar I smoke in... just because. I leave whatever little jar of tobacco I'm smoking out of as well. I'm trying to determine if it changes the tobacco. Maybe it will improve it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I expect the freezing has to have some negative impact on the tobacco, fundamentally changing its smoking characteristics.
It's not shipped in climate controlled vehicles.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You'd not do it on purpose, but transient freezing- as en route to a customer- probably has no detectable effect on tobacco. Unless you think it does!

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
What I was questioning was leaving a ziploc bag of tobacco in my car for 2 or 3 weeks. Surely there would be some sort of crystalization from the moisture in the tobacco?
Embers, I like your glove box pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Surely there would be some sort of crystalization from the moisture in the tobacco?
Tobacco hangs and winters just fine. Once the lamina are brown, it can freeze and thaw all it wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.