Has anyone here smoked an Indian Peace pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Just curious. I'm interested in trying this but don't know anything about them. Can I smoke my aeros in them? I imagine they smoke like a church,

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
No the Great Spirit will kick your ass for smoking aros in a peace pipe and will send a Wendigo to chew on your butt. :rofl:
Seriously, though, I don't have a link right now, but there is a blender in Montana that makes Native American tribal inspired tobaccos. Those would probably be cool for a calumet.

Aug 14, 2012
Has anyone tried these Indian blends? Which do you like? They sound very interesting & the prices are good.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I used to smoke one in sweat lodge ceremonies in Oregon. Without trying to sound religious, it was very calming.
As for regular pipe tobacco, I can't speak there because I've never tried anything other than Native American tobacco in a peace pipe.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
A peace pipe is not for casual smoking. Imagine a fella asking if they could use your sacred traditional articles for common purposes.

I think you should just hang ya peace pipe up and save it for its purpose. Or keep it as a relic.

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
I agree with locopony, but Sweat lodges are great, and simple to build. It can be a great sat/sun event.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here is a version of the Lakota legend of the White Buffalo Calf Woman and the introduction of the calumet. http://buffalo-woman.com/index.php?p=3_4_The-Legend-of-White-Buffalo-Calf-Pipe-Woman If you have a calumet, treat it like you would any other religious object and use it with due reverence.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I don't have any indian blood in me but I have admired and studied Native American culture for a long time. Here's an indian style calumet I made about 15 years ago.
IMG_0163_zps275450be.jpg

IMG_0165_zps89a436cc.jpg

IMG_0166_zps3669c1cb.jpg

IMG_0164_zps191f7ad2.jpg

I didn't use authentic pipestone although that would be very cool. The pipe is made from American Walnut. I threaded the sead and bone beads and the wooden beads I turned on my wood lathe along with the bowl of the pipe. Attached a lock of horse hair for good measure. I've not smoked the pipe in years but if was going to I'd hunt up some of the mentioned Native blends.

joshwolftree

I have a close friend who is a "pipe Carrier" in the Lakota tradition. He blends his own tobacco/herbal mixture. and I have seen him use lightly aromatic tobaccos in a pinch. Again as stated above, this mixture is for ceremonial purposes, as is the pipe (and no not that type of herbal). If you plan on using it as you would a church warden, you'd probably be more satisfied with a church warden. Then again without going to far into religion, I have a short stemmed Antler pipe that I pray with when I need it, so what is sacred to some, is not to others. It's really all about intent...if you plan on making your own,more power too you it's your pipe smoke what you want in it. If you got it at a flea market or roadside souvenir shop..then your taking a risk smoking anything out of it, as it's probably cheaply made as a souvenir and may not be intended for actual use. If you got it as a gift(note: as in gifted to you by the maker or a tribe member), it was most likely created with the intent of being used in a sacred manner and while it is you decision to make I strongly recommend you respect that intent. If your not sure about the origin of the pipe, fire up the camera, some of us may be able to help. Well and many of those are works of art in their own right.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
i have a lot to learn, which is why i asked to begin with. I thought the native American culture had pipes for ceremonial purposes but also for normal enjoyment. We have a lot of Indian tribes here in WA state so maybe I could go to the Yakima Nation and ask someone there. Next time I get out there, I definitely will. Thanks for the links too here. Extremely interesting.

Z

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
As an enrolled member of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, I agree with zonomo. Certain pipes are reserved for pipe ceremonies. While I wouldn't classify other pipes as "normal enjoyment", tribal members meditate and pray privately with a pipe. The smoke is considered cleansing. Also, akin to Catholic/Anglican/Orthodox religious practices, the smoke symbolizes prayers ascending to the Father like smoke from incense during Mass.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks sdcowboy - their private meditation isnt probably too different from when I smoke in a quite place and think, pray, contemplate and appreciate.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
H not smoked a peace pipe, but have smoked Knick Knick, traditional Native American smoking mixture which consists of 5 different common herbs..bearberry, mullein,yerba santa, red willow bark, and osha root. Smokes good with a juniperry ambiance . Bent mike, that calumet looks great. I add Knick to tobacco & have several blends with it . :puffpipe:

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
You're welcome Zonomo. I agree. Private meditation with a pipe is a pleasure for us, and it was practiced by my ancestors for generations.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
I guess the real spelling is Kinnick Kinnick for the ceremonial smoke. I don't know which herb dominates this blend,but the smoke is not harsh and I smoke it strictly in a cob since it would ghost like Casper himself crawled into your pipe. I bet the length of a peace pipe makes for a cool smoke......

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
If I were more handy, I'd probably try to make my own but alas, I'm just a computer nerd who plays guitar. Doesnt anyone have a recommendation of where i could purchase one?

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.