Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » Make Your Own Pipe Project

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Has Anyone Given These a Try?

(25 posts)
  1. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Ran across these on Amazon today. Was wondering if anyone here has tried them. I figured I may buy them to practice working on pipes and finishing techniques, also have them as knock around pipes or as gifts to people who are curious about pipe smoking but dont want to invest money. Any thoughts?

5 pack unfinished briar pipe

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It might be an interesting project. At the price, you aren't taking much risk. Some unfinished pipes, like Savinelli, are such that the fills and flaws are often minimal, the stems are good enough, and the pipes "finish" themselves over time, darkening and even developing a luster that can be quite handsome. My question on these would be, are the stems of high enough quality to be pleasing, and would the briar be sufficient to look reasonably good if you didn't carve or stain them. Pipes can last a lifetime, and most of us tend to keep most of the pipes we buy, so you don't want to buy pipes that just end up in drawers. The ones you don't smoke, just pass 'em along, I'd say.

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not much of a gamble, as those 5 cost what 1 new of the extremely cheap brands go for. Do it.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  4. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Yeah, next pay check I'm getting them, be great for when I go kayaking and and camping and I've had a bit too much to drink, I always lose something and i hate for it to be one of my nicer pipes

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hell yes! Go for it. They might even be surprisingly good quality. Some of the pipes they've sold on P&C's website have been new old stock French briar, and they're pretty damned good smokers, IMHO.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Even if they are just so-so smokers, you will get experience in finishing pipes.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Yeah, next pay check I'm getting them, be great for when I go kayaking and and camping and I've had a bit too much to drink, I always lose something and i hate for it to be one of my nicer pipes

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Not sure why that double posted

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I pulled the trigger on those today, will update when they arrive.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

I'm constantly amazed at all of the seventies' French factory pipes that keep popping up. We had some (as previously mentioned) on P&C and I've seen some elsewhere. They must have had pretty bad inventory control to have had so many pipes sitting around for 40+ years. But while most of these pipes would be considered smaller than average by today's standards, the ones I bought smoked like champs.

Russ

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, op, did you end up getting them?

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Yes, tracking says they sure be here tomarrow or Monday. Will post pics when they arrive.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cool!

Thrills, spills and fills. Should be fine smokers, though.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  14. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the post. I ordered a batch. Great gifts for friends and family who are finish carpenters and luthiers. Here's to hoping they get the pipe carving bug.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

16. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But some are "D quality" from Mr. Brog, ca. $30. And I don't think many- if any- are briar.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Well they just came in and I'm happy with my purchase. All the stems are vulcanite and the inside of the bowls are flawless. Drilling seems to be fine, but I'm no expert on that, a few have some nice grain patterns. They do have some cracks and voids on the outside of the bowl but I was expecting that. One does have a nasty crack on the stem but I believe I can fix it. At less that 8 dollars a piece it's a no brainer, your paying cob prices for briar. There's some pics.

Here is all if them next to a kaywoodie drinkless for size comparison.

Here's one of the basic kinda holes that need to be filled

And here's that nasty crack on the stem of one

Cant wait til I have some free time to work on and finish them

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

So I've been slowly working on the 1st one, turned out okay except the "rustication" job on the front I tried to do while pretty intoxicated to blend in a void I didn't want to fill. I still need to sand down the stem to better flow in the strummel, as you can see in one of the pics. I contast stained it black with yellow over top. Without further ado I give you the "Drunken Sunflower"

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like fun!

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Three or four of those will last as long as a pipe you'd buy for a few hundred bucks, and one or two might smoke as well. Also, without further finishing, these would darken and even develop a luster, as has happened for several of my Sav unfinished pipes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. frankrem

frankrem

Login to Send PM

so a little curious - Did you do anything to finish the pipes or do you have an update on any of them?

Posted 5 days ago #
  22. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I've actually only finished one more of them so still have 3 left sitting in a drawer. Got done a few weeks ago on a Dr. Grawbow refurb and havnt had time to mess with them. I will try to post a pic tomarrow of the other one I have finished. I tried to stain it a tye dye pattern. It turned out okay.

Posted 4 days ago #
  23. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

As promised, my attempt to tyedye a pipe.

Posted 4 days ago #
  24. frankrem

frankrem

Login to Send PM

Never seen a pipe in Tyedye. Is that a thing or you a trend setter on this one? Curious how you went about staining that as well.

Posted 4 hours ago #
  25. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

As far as I know I am a trend setter lol, and i just used pipe cleaners and diffrent leather dyed in diffrent areas. I plan on trying it again sometime but i think i will get little squirt bottles and fill those with the dye and just randomly spray the pipe down to try to get a more realistic tyedye effect.

Posted 16 minutes ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   irishearl, cortezattic, greeneyes, jpberg, ben88, acidpox