Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

Has Anyone Experienced Drone Delivery?

(49 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I heard about drone deliver several years ago, about how drones were going to be used to deliver relatively small packages to businesses and residences. This struck me as whimsical. I wondered about the possible obstacles, first and foremost the insurance and safety hazards of hitting people, pets, and property as a business expense. The expense of really good remote piloting. Also, I've wondered about renegades shooting down the drones like hunting ducks, and retrieving the shipments, for sport and pillage. Then I forgot about all this. I have never seen a drone, other than a toy with a party of recreational pilots within sight. However, people keep telling me (tell me anything) that drone deliveries are actually routine, and not just in urban and suburban areas. Has anyone seen a drone delivery, or better yet had one? Seeing is believing, and I ain't seen nothin'. Seems like the range of operation would be problematical, as would weight of delivered items. Is there "anything here"?

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never experienced "drone delivery", but for all the reasons you mention, it sounds like the most cockamamie, hare-brained exercise in stupidity I have ever heard of.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I had no idea that they do this. I also know very little about drones. But I would assume that distance between drones and controller would also become a factor? My father in law has one, and when the two separate past so many miles, it automatically lands, and then shuts off.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

Personally, if one flew over my house it would be fair game for any missile I could launch at it. Also, anyone caught flying one within miles of an airport should be beaten to death with their own remote control.

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am looking forward to drones. I am going to have a blast using my own drones to hunt down and pirate these drones, and when they fly over my property, yee-haw!!

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

didache: Even if the drone was delivering a pipe you had searched for years for? A $500.00 whatever, birth date, you'd coveted for years? And finally located at the once in-a-life time price of... ten dollars.

Drones are flown routinely with the operator/pilot thousands of miles away. GPS, computers etc, would allow programing to be done from Seattle, the drone launched in Kentucky and, dependent on range, the package delivered to East Bumf**k, Illinois.

We're not talking about drones purchased over the counter at the local hobby shop. Drones will replace many drivers and vehicles on the road in the coming years as their sophistication improves and costs come down.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's crazy I didn't realize they could go that far!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

warren - I am not opposed to drones in the right context. In fact, I was filled with admiration during the Rio Olympics for how drone mounted cameras could fly over the events (eg beach volleyball) and get views that would not otherwise be possible. However, as you said, these are not hobbyist drones and they are flown by trained 'pilots' of a sort.

However, I am still very dubious about the concept of them flying over residential areas (I am in London btw so it would be a severely lost drone that found me when it was looking for East Bumf**k, Illinois!) and I am REALLY serious about the dangers of flying them where they might possibly come into contact with aircraft.

And - I really don't mind if my $500/$10 pipe comes in a van

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had incompetent drone delivery....... oh we're talking little flying monkeys not human ones.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As for me, I'm content to wait a few days to have items arrive on four wheels. This would seem to make more sense, if at all, to deliver items of some real urgency. To crowd the sky, with the attendant hazards, to deliver curtains or gourmet spices or something, that gets fully into crazy territory. If I read this back in five years, it may sound the the old guy who said if God had meant man to fly, he would have given him wings.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As for actual Drone delivery ..... no thanks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/drone-deliveries-now-shipping-drone

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FAA provisions don't really allow for commercial drone deliveries in the USA yet. I guess you can do it if you can keep the drone in your line of sight, but then you might as well walk the package over.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a cool concept, but here's my argument against them. If the delivery truck breaks down, the driver is there to keep an eye on his packages until it's loaded onto another van for delivery. If something goes wrong with the drone and it crashes, anyone driving by or walking by can pretty easily snag the delivery for themselves.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

cally454

Login to Send PM

It's not if it's when. Amazon gets what it wants. Ups and FedEx ceos are on record scoffing amazon when they said they're going to deliver their own packages "it took us 40 years to devolope our infrastructure, good luck" they pat him on the head and say what a good customer amazon is. What they don't understand is bezos thinks in 25 year plans. He's not going to put trucks on the road to compete. He's going to do it with drones That's why he's putting in distribution centers everywhere and he's changed his stance on internet sales tax because he had to to realize his plan. They have drones in China that fly people right now. It's coming. I'm pretty sure the FDA owns the rights above and around everyone's house just like the ATT guy has egress to my yard as I saw him out there this morning without so much a knock and hey need access

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony- But it'd be only one or two packages, there'd likely be video capture of the area, at least in urban and suburban areas, and GPS would fix the location.

Wonder if they are controlled via cellular data?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately it is an FAA violation to shoot a drone out of the sky as it is categorized as an air vehicle like an airplane and draws a heavy fine. ISIS and other terror groups are looking real hard at adapting drones for terror strikes. At present, the U.S. has no real defense for them other than one "drone gun" under development that can scramble their electronics.

First time I saw them I knew they were just as bad an idea as cars which drive around by themselves.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get delivers all the time from drones in FedEx and UPS uniforms.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We can't think of drone deliveries in terms of today's technology. Guys in Colorado are driving drones and killing people in the various war zones around the world. The do it with precision over and over.

Not that many years ago, many in my generation couldn't imagine putting a man on the moon. And airplanes? Who'd of thought there was a commercial use for such a dangerous contraption. Women voting? PAleeese! It's only recently that people have bug to think of the lowly hamburger as a sandwich.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony- But it'd be only one or two packages, there'd likely be video capture of the area, at least in urban and suburban areas, and GPS would fix the location.

Only one or two packages potentially holding something valuable, such as perhaps a Rolex watch, or a diamond ring. There may be video capture of the area, but if the person finds the package before it can be located, or sees the drone go down, what good will the video capture be. GPS might fix the location of the package or the drone. But not the contents of the package if opened and removed on location. And you can be sure that thieves will find a way to keep track of drones going to and from during deliveries so they can possibly be intercepted mid-flight.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, you're right, anthony. There are pitfalls! Pretty sure, though, that Rolexes and Diamonds won't be delivered by drone, nor by a single van driver. And they won't leave the package on the doorstep or porch!

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The retailer may be out some money. You won't be, as the transaction hasn't been completed. You'll get your Rolex, just a few hours or a day later. Then you can sign for it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty sure, though, that Rolexes and Diamonds won't be delivered by drone, nor by a single van driver. And they won't leave the package on the doorstep or porch!
    Maybe, maybe not. But you never know, and it's getting harder and harder to trust people to make wise decisions as technology continues to replace the human brain at an alarming rate

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have seen tests of the Amazon delivery drone system. The route and address is pre-programmed so nobody needs to control it directly. They can automatically avoid obstacles but I would assume there are cameras aboard so the drone can be monitored.

---->Amazon Drone Video

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Imagine not having to wait for UPS or FedEx to show up with an item requiring a signature. You just call a number, advise that you are home for twenty minutes. Ten minutes later the item shows up at your door. You sign with a password or fingerprint, put on the watch and go about your business. Or, this scenario: You get a text from Amazon, tell them where you will be for the next hour, drone arrives in 30 and you have your latest purchase. Almost immediate gratification! The youngsters will love that.

When it happens, and it will, the customer will find it convenient and probably painless. The vendor will have various protections, insurance, etc. Drone delivery may initially be restricted to certain items and may be only for expedited deliveries. Might be surcharges? Who knows? But, it is coming and the customers will embrace it! The retailers will see to that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amazon has been setting up fulfillment/distribution centers across the country, no doubt strategically placed for access. One I know of is in a BFE town but within a couple hours of major cities in three states, a fleet of drones operating out of fully stocked centers with people packing orders isn't far off. A computer in every home? Come on. 30 years later....

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm still impressed with Sunday deliveries. Not excited about drones.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm still impressed with Sunday deliveries.
    Agreed

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

cally454

Login to Send PM

They had to hire the usps to make Sunday deliveries who would of thought that would of happened? Amazon has already made a drone delivery in the U.K.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This company tried it (Drone Delivery). As you can see, the concept needs refinement!

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Has Anyone Experienced Drone Delivery?

Only on forums.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse- You need to go to more religious services, then. Or, worse, tune into a politician's speech that lasts more than ten minutes!

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This should not be all that difficult; drone goes up to 350ft, flies over obstacles, drops package on your front door and photographs it there. You then get an email with the photograph. Last mile delivery is apparently the most expensive part, and this would cut that down quite a bit. However, cost savings would likely not be passed on to the consumer.

Even more impressive would be delivery by Tomahawk. You order it, the missile fires, and a few minutes later the package arrives in your living room at 600 mph.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  34. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thats gonna cost extra.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One wrinkle that seems to need working out ... most deliveries are made to leave the package under cover, like on a porch or overhang, to protect the item from rain. If they could be dropped in the yard or at the stoop, that would make it much easier. But navigating the delivery through the trees and up the front steps, or back steps, etc., could be demanding of the pilot and riskier to the drone. I still think drones would hit people, vehicles, pets, property. I don't think it would be as easy as it seems, but maybe I'm just fretting. Wouldn't large dogs tend to lunge at the low flying birds and break the drone or injure themselves?

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

For the most part, I think drone deliveries will be a special option for delivery and not the norm. It's not that efficient to carry just one package, plus all the operation certificates that would be needed. My company and I are commercially certified by the FAA and we need to follow rules just like airplanes and each drone is registered with an N number, and we need certificates of operation to fly in controlled airspace. Shooting down a drone is a federal offense, you have no rights to the air over your house, so I'll put that to rest, plus, we are way to busy working than giving a crap about what you are doing in your backyard. A lot of the better drones these days have auto-landing as well as collision avoidance. We are flying some prototypes right now that allow us night operations, super cold weather, and emergency parachute/recovery systems. Most commercial drone operators like us work hard to be safe and responsible, it's the jokers flying them after buying one at best buy that's causing a lot of problems. Ok...rant over.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My presumption is the drone will deliver to you, not to your residence. You'll be texted or called. When you are home or some other acceptable location, the package will be delivered to you. Will you pay extra? Most likely! But, I like the idea of not having to wait to sign for a UPS or some such delivery scheduled for deliver "before 8pm." I'd pay for the convenience as my time is worth it, especially for an item I need expedited. I'm normally losing money sitting home unless I'm billing or doing post on the computer. I'm not making money when out shooting either but, I am creating product.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As someone who grows Sugar Cane on his land I get many Publications as to what is new in Farmland. Surveying your field for moisture, Thermal image info and scores of info is the hot thing. Tried to get the link but my computer skills are not that great. Goggle Drones for Farmers and be amazed at the Technology, Future is here.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  39. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife was just gifted with a tiny unit, the size of a small alarm clock lying on its side. You address it as Alexa and request music or a radio show or many other possible things, or ask her to time your baking or cooking, and she does so. Preservation Hall Jazz Band, bingo, there they are. She's friendly and cooperative, and frankly a little scary. Probably listening to us. The future is here indeed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

I've had a few blends delivered via email. They were kinda airy and had no flavor !

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brad is right about the agricultural drones. Those things are amazing.

A company called "PrecisionHawk" was the first to get FAA permission to operate drones outside of the operator's "line of sight". That was just last year. It's a big step towards commercial drone operations becoming a daily routine.

Amazon is pushing for a nationwide air traffic control system for drones, to try and get to the point where they can really get their delivery service up and running full speed. They aren't joking about this stuff, it's GONNA happen eventually.

As an auto mechanic, I'm really looking forward to the day when a vehicle brings itself in for service, and then returns itself to the owner when service is finished. How cool would that be?

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just as an aside I found out the other day that the FAA considers the airspace all the way to the ground as "theirs." I always understood that you owned the airspace up to 200 feet over your house. But this aviation expert said that the FAA took it upon themselves to claim all of it, meaning that if someone flies a drone outside your bedroom window, there is nothing legally you can do. That is public airspace. You can't touch the drone which is considered an aviation vehicle.

I'm surprised they haven't claimed the air we breath yet! Oh wait, that's right, that is the property of the EPA.

At any rate, folks are fighting to get that 200 feet over your house legally designated as YOURS.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where, jurisdiction, is the air above your house considered to be part of the deed holding? Heck most people do not own their house, the lien holder does. Most people who do in fact own their own home are unaware as to who owns the water or minerals beneath the property.

I have certain rights insuring privacy by law. But, the air to a defined altitude? Nope, not in Alaska that I'm aware of anyway. Drones will cause some limits to enacted by various governments before long. Then we'll be complaining about the government, any of many, overstepping again.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You guys remember cell computing?

The idea is that many autonomous complete units are more effective than one big unit divided by function, in part because of a more graceful failure model.

This is what drones are. They are 1% of an airplane that will come to you, thanks to video game technology and cruise missiles showing us the way.

I am all in favor of this technology, but might add that simply wiring communities with small-track trains to deliver packages and the elderly might be more efficient and have less stuff screaming around the sky.

Your average drone has visual abilities, but not radar as yet. Soon they will need that to avoid each other. But then, they will be one more machine that is simply given instructions and let go.

You will get your packages more efficiently than if a human had delivered them, but you might miss sharing coffee and a cigarette with the UPS guy.

At least I will -- our UPS guy is awesome, and since they fired the incompetent pity hire, our postal guy is also.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What are the usps guys supposed to do for a living if everything is being delivered by drones?

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What are the usps guys supposed to do for a living if everything is being delivered by drones?

Go out to find all of the drones that good-O-boys have shot down.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go out and get a job for half what you used to make working on the assembly line packing drones in boxes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...easier to set in duck blinds collecting free stuff from the air.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get it! Shoot down the drones and take the packages they deliver!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   railman, ray47, peckinpahhombre, cortezattic, 5star, timt, jeff540