Has Anyone Ever Come Across A Hallmarked NICKEL Peterson?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
??? Hard to tell without a picture of the hallmarks. Are they Dublin marks?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Are they hallmarks or "hallmarks"? Most Petersons have faux hallmarks and no date letters. Not true of the early Petes (e.g. before 1920 or so).
As far as I know, nickel is never hallmarked, though it may have "K & P" stamped on it or similar.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Agree with pitchfork. Nickel is not hallmarked. Not ever. They put some meaningless stamps on there so you can have a lower cost pipe that looks similar to the fancy ones that have actual silver.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
They are called Faux Hallmarks. And yes, they were stamped on nickel bands to make it look like silver. I have a couple of old nickel Petes which sport them.
Cheers,
J

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
If peterson would of hall marked nickel they would of been closed down,prosecuted & sent down for fraud. So no, as warren stated just symbols on nickel.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
1f702170-b8e1-431d-b753-956a49e1ba00_zpsltqnyfmt.jpg

OK. Here's a pic. Are these remnants Hallmarks or Symbols?

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
WOW! What's going on here with all these posts?!?!
Anyway, what symbols do you see here? I see a fiery meteor, a blowing whale (or the large rump of a reclining nude), and a penis. Your thoughts?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
They are not hallmarks or even faux hallmarks. Simply, well worn Irish symbols: Wolfhound, tower and harp. Peterson has never made an attempt to pass the stampings off as hallmarks, substitute hallmarks or faux hallmarks. "Logos" for want of a better discription.
The three are well revered Irish symbols.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
They are not hallmarks or even faux hallmarks. Simply, well worn Irish symbols: Wolfhound, tower and harp. Peterson has never made an attempt to pass the stampings off as hallmarks, substitute hallmarks or faux hallmarks. "Logos" for want of a better discription.
The three are well revered Irish symbols.
A better answer than my short one.

All of this hallmark guessing and make-believe is cracking me up. As one who sells work abroad and knows a tad about the long lines at British precious metals assayers office, I can Hallmark whatever the heck I want. The Hallmark is my symbol, telling the world either who made the piece or who assayed it. However, when I stamp it with a metals ID (or "strike"), then it gets tricky. Only in Britain do you "have" to have a stamp on precious metal, but the assayers has to do it. And, you only have to do it if you want to say what the metal is. Which for some jewelers this becomes important.
However, if there is another metal soldered or attached to the precious metal "that I want to mark," I have to id that other metal also, thus I can buy stamps for copper, brass, bronze, nickle, etc...
The Brits are about the most anal retentive about marks, hallmarks and such. But anyone can have a hallmark by itself. That is just your signature. I can hammer that hallmark on metals, briar, plastics, paper, forehead, anything I want.
But, for the metal to be assayed as a form of silver in Britain it also has to have a silver strike telling the jeweler that will work on it what type of silver it is, .925, SS, CS, .800, .750, argentium, or a unicorn.
In the US, it is just easier to Not mark the metal, but if you do, you just add your hallmark to it as your signature.
In other words, hallmarks aren't what you think they are. It's the metal mark or "strike" that becomes a legal document.
I know, this is a long response, but in my laughing at the responses, I was trying to figure you guys out. Where do you guys get these ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.