Has anyone else ever bitten through a rubber bit?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Well have you? Just noticed a big tooth mark in one of my pipe bits!

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
That can happen if you're clenching while watching the World Cup. Wait until halftime to smoke. :wink:

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I go through my bits every five to six smokes. They DO have a shelf life, especially if you clench consistently...which is why I buy 50 little packs at a time...
Shutterbug

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Judging from photos of some of the estate pipes picked up at flea markets and antique shops, not to mention

ebay, this is common, chewed through bits. I have a few, what are politely called, chatter marks especially on

the bottom of bits, but nothing that looks like a hole.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
By "rubber bit," I thought you meant a Vulcanite stem, which is made of rubber and has a bit, but if you meant a

softie bit, I'll say no, never chewed through one of those, but I only have one on one pipe, to spare an MM

cob bit; my other MM cobs have Forever stems.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Yeah a softie bit.... and as for the World Cup: GO HOLLAND!!! Would like to see them play the US in the final, but we will see...

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
Carcosa-
Never have chewed through a softie bit sleeve. Those thinkgs make the bit too much of a "presence" in my mouth.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Haven’t bitten thorough one yet, but it’s bound to happen seeing that they are obviously not meant to last forever. I just recently started to use them and it took me awhile to get used to them. I absolutely hated the damn things at first because the ‘feeling’ felt so alien to me and I gave up on them. However, I then got the idea to cut off the lip, or the thick part of it (the part that goes over the end of the mouthpiece). After all, you don’t clench down on that part with your teeth and I eventually got back to using them. It still took me awhile to get used to the feeling, but not nearly as strange as they first felt. Now, I hardly notice them anymore.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I just bought an old estate LHS pipe that has a hole in the mouthpiece. It's an easy fix. Some of my own pipes that are 35 years old have some indentations.
The only pipe I've ever bitten completely through was one of those cheap meerschaum figurals with the brittle plastic stems. Snapped off right at the button.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I believe the OP is talking about 'softie bits' and not the pipe stem itself. :wink:

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Yeah after a while they become worn out. Like someone else said its a good idea to buy a bunch.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Over time some of my softie tips have developed holes, so sometimes I pull them off and change their position just to make them last a bit longer.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
So far not bit through on my softy bits. Easy enough to replace when it eventually happens, I always try to keep a couple of spares around.

Status
Not open for further replies.