PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I had heard from somewhere that Hardcastle is a seconds brand of Dunhill. Can anyone verify this? I looked up where to buy one and found a nice looking bulldog for $32. What do you guys think?
Link is here.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
wallbright,
They are indeed a Dunhill seconds label. I think you might find this site helpful when looking for manufacturers logos and names:
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/index-en.html

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
According to Mlaug's link (pipephil.eu)...
HARCASTLE was founded in 1903 by Edmund Hardcastle and taken over by Dunhill and merged with Parker in the Hardcastle-Parker Ltd.
Hardcastle's seconds: Argyle, Royal Crown, Royal Bruyere, Royal Castle and probably Oxford

I couldn't say that Hardcastle is a Dunhill 2nd; but the company is owned by Dunhill. (There's a difference.)

I've purchased several pipes from IRC and never had a problem. But IRC is a pretty high-end kinda place, so I wouldn't expect $32 to buy a "whole lotta pipe." But one never knows, and $32 doesn't sound like a big risk, even if it is a pig-in-the-poke.

Reactions: oldtoby

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Dunhill has owned the Hardcastle name since the late 40s. By the early 60s, Dunhill had merged Hardcastle and their 'second' brand Parker. By the 1980s, the entire Dunhill production was moved to the same location as the Parker-Hardcastle factory. The Hardcastle name is reserved to turned bowls that aren't deemed quality enough for either a Dunhill or Parker stamp.
But what's in a name? I've a few Dunhills that aren't so great and my best friend swears by his Hardcastle. Sometimes whether or not a pipe is a good smoker is dumb luck.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I own 1 Hardcastle pipe. It is a Hardcastle Walnut Bent Bulldog. It is a rather large pipe and it smokes great. I love it! It is one of my favorite pipes.
hardcastle-walnut-600x220.jpg

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Here is a site list that contains pipe seconds : http://www.pipes.org/Articles/Seconds.html
Harcastles and Parkers are good pipes and smoke well.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I have a Hardcastle's 'Jockey Club' in my collection and it smokes very well indeed. And as Ted said, it was sold off to Dunhill's who then used it as an excuse to offload their seconds.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Nice looking pipe, Bob.
Ted, I agree some of the high end pipes don't really smoke as well as the name would imply. That is part of my reasoning for not having any, but mostly I can't see putting out several hundred bucks for a pipe that may smoke only as well as a Dr Grabow for $30.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I tend to enjoy the low end of high end pipes. Such as the Savinelli Venezia it was only $47 and it is a great smoke. I think I will hold off on the Hardcastle though. I would feel better finding one in a B&M so I can inspect it and everything before I buy it. I am a poor college kid so $32 is a high percentage of my income haha. That and I need the girlfriends approval now before I spend any more money. I went on a $200 ebay shopping spree a few weeks back :D and she got a little agitated. However, thanks to some of the members here, and over at Christianpipesmokers.net, I was able to unload some of the pipes I didn't need. It was hard to see some of those pipes go but the girlfriend gave me an ultimatum and after many hours pondering....I chose her lol. Might have been the most costly mistake of my life as women tend to cost much more than PAD or TAD ever will add up to :). Anyways, ranting aside I don't believe I could ever bring myself to buy a $300+ pipe unless my future job pays very well.

Reactions: durham270

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
So it goes like this in order of seconds: Dunhill > Parker > Hardcastle, where Hardcastle is a second of a second?

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Friends, Milan Tobacconist is circulating an e-mail this afternoon announcing how it is discontinuing Hardcastle, and is selling off its inventory at a nice discount.
Click here.
I thought I should share the news. (I have no connection to Milan, Hardcastle, Dunhill, etc., etc.)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Friends, Milan Tobacconist is circulating an e-mail this afternoon announcing how it is discontinuing Hardcastle, and is selling off its inventory at a nice discount.
Thanks for sharing briarfriar. Looks like a good deal.
I sold an older Hardcastle bulldog in briarbid. The pipe itself was an absolutely superb smoker. I only sold it because (generally speaking) I just don't go for bulldog style much these days.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Hardcastle is no longer real seconds of Dunhill, but are good pipes nonetheless. Like most UK pipes the draw is somewhat constricted (a la Peterson),especially if you are used to Danish pipes. Their lower end pipes tend to be faux army mounts and look to me as if the stems would not last for many years. That being said, Hardcastles do smoke well, and those I have seen are well drilled.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
the only Hardcastle's I looked for was the Jack O' London because I believe they pre-date the merger with Parker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the students of pipes here on Forums might enlighten us. I am skeptical that any of the Dunhill owned

non-Dunhill brands are actual seconds. I think the companies that make Parker, Hardcastle, and maybe

Britannia are owned by Dunhill, but if there is any pass-along of product, it happens just with materials.

The shapes do not appear to be related at all, in my opinion. Nonetheless, all of those brands are good

smoking pipes. I own a Parker and a Britannia, and they are both well crafted, drilled, and the materials

are good. They're no Dunhills but they are fine smoking pipes likely to last for decades.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have an estate Hardcastle's Old Bruyere apple-shaped billiard with a saddle bit stem that is stamped "Hand Made," and it smokes extremely well. Further, its quality as regards drilling, fit, and finish is as good as any of my "better" pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect nearly all so-called "seconds" are from a different assembly line and a different work room, even if the main company owns all the so-called "seconds" brands. It is a matter of reflected glory, not slightly irregular versions of the main brand. So evaluate "seconds" in their own right. Parkers are good pipes, but their relationship to Dunhill is ownership not materials and crafts people.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I picked up this Hardcastle a while back. Nothing but "Hardcastle" "Made in England". No shape number, finish name. It was unsmoked and is quite a large Dublin. Is this something current they make?

Status
Not open for further replies.